Danny Borrell our new pitching coach

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Dannel Borrell's segment starts around 19:00 mark. He ends it with specific info/evals on Hughes, Roedig, Bartnicki. I (we?) am definitely suffering from "nogames-itis"... this affliction will make you fall in love with words and believe anything new/different will only result in great things. First step is recognizing I have this problem.

https://ramblinwreck.com/podcast-from-the-flats-episode-32/
Loved what he said about Bartnicki. How many years b4 he is draft eligible?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Loved what he said about Bartnicki. How many years b4 he is draft eligible?

Another 2 years as Bartnicki will be a 21 YO Jr at 2021 draft expiration.

Details on last year's team draft eligibility attached. This was pre-draft and has my guesses as to who would get drafted and go.

Attachments

• 2019 Draft Update.pdf
    44.9 KB · Views: 31

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If this was discussed, I missed it. I think there is unanimous agreement that this pitching coach hire appears to be a huge step forward for the baseball program.

I am assuming Coach Borrell (and therefore the field of candidates) commanded a significant increase in salary previously earmarked for Ga Tech's pitching coach.

I would love to know the evolution to get here. Did CDH lobby for going after higher paid coaches? Has he before... & been denied? Did TStan see the opportunity & make it happen?

Am I wrong in my big assumption here... that we're paying our pitching coach much more than previous ones?

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If this was discussed, I missed it. I think there is unanimous agreement that this pitching coach hire appears to be a huge step forward for the baseball program.

I am assuming Coach Borrell (and therefore the field of candidates) commanded a significant increase in salary previously earmarked for Ga Tech's pitching coach.

I would love to know the evolution to get here. Did CDH lobby for going after higher paid coaches? Has he before... & been denied? Did TStan see the opportunity & make it happen?

Am I wrong in my big assumption here... that we're paying our pitching coach much more than previous ones?
I don't see how you could be wrong. I get it that it's an opportunity for Coach Borrell to get on the HC path but it's still a step down. I'm super excited about this hire, I wish I knew more.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Admittedly there's a lot of assumptions here but I think it's likely. I've said this before in other forums. I don't think it's a coincidence all of our athletic teams started clearly struggling compared to their peers, and their own previous history, at the same time. We really fell behind in the past 10 years. I think the entire athletics department has been severely hamstrung by a lack of resources and it's only recently (*cough* Stansbury *cough*) that has begun to be addressed. I'm hopeful we begin to see more fruits of those efforts across the board soon.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Most important part to me. Money talks BS walks:

"Hall gave credit to athletic director Todd Stansbury and chief financial officer Marvin Lewis for increasing the salary pool (assistant coach James Ramsey received a raise, also) to fit Borrell, particularly at a time when the athletic department budget is tight. Contract details were not available, but Hall said that a report that Borrell received a five-year deal worth about $1.5 million was not accurate.

“Todd Stansbury wants us to have a good baseball program, and he’s going to do anything in his power, within the restraints of Georgia Tech, to try to help us be good,” Hall said. “It’s great to be the baseball coach when you have an AD that’s that passionate about us being good.”

ScGold

Banned
Most important part to me. Money talks BS walks:

"Hall gave credit to athletic director Todd Stansbury and chief financial officer Marvin Lewis for increasing the salary pool (assistant coach James Ramsey received a raise, also) to fit Borrell, particularly at a time when the athletic department budget is tight. Contract details were not available, but Hall said that a report that Borrell received a five-year deal worth about $1.5 million was not accurate.

“Todd Stansbury wants us to have a good baseball program, and he’s going to do anything in his power, within the restraints of Georgia Tech, to try to help us be good,” Hall said. “It’s great to be the baseball coach when you have an AD that’s that passionate about us being good.”
Interesting comments sounds eerily similar to a coach that used to work on the Flats.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I’m confused as to why these 2 words were the ones you chose...?
He just seems like the most likely sugar daddy to the baseball program...baseball's John Dewberry. I don't know where he lives, presumably ATL, but he's spending some significant coin around the Bellwood Quarry portion of the Beltline which indicates he's still "close".

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Y'all should be jumping for joy for this hire. As a father of a recent recruit, Christian Okerholm (2021 RHP) and who helped his son with school and program research. GT is going to be a destination program. DBo is a tremendous recruiter and has the tools and skills to get these kids to and beyond the next level. Hall, Ramsey, and Jaffe are all great and the 4 of them really speak volumes for the program. The pitching lab, coming in 2021, will be the best in the country, BAR NONE!. DBo will be a draw for this program and you will see more and more talent flock this way. It's going to be super fun and exciting! GT is the new "Pitching U". You will be able to siphon and draw kids that would look at and consider top programs like FL and Vandy, Arkansas, etc. The national buzz about this program is great! Together we swarm!! We're so happy Christian chose GT and be part of it!!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
My guess is Hall will retire when Colin leaves, whether that be via draft or graduation. Ramsey may try to move to a slightly smaller school and get a head coaching job if he doesn’t get promoted once Hall leaves, but I believe he wants to be here since he’s from Atlanta and has a family now. Jaffe is in a tough position because he loves it at GT, but since his position is unpaid, I doubt he’ll be here much longer unless the 3rd paid assistant proposition is passed. Haven’t spoke to Borrell much, but he seems to enjoy it at Tech so far, also said he was tired of the way professional baseball was being ran. So unless he gets offered nice pay raise somewhere else I would imagine he’s at Tech for as long as he’s allowed to be. The next phase of Rusty C renovations will be completed soon, and the future of GT baseball is bright.

I really wish the GTAA had enough money to properly fund the baseball team. While the Rusty C is a great place, it pales I’m comparison to the other stadiums in the southeast. Also the atmosphere lacks unless Tech is playing Georgia or in the postseason. All of the empty metal bleacher seats around the stadium don’t provide good optics for recruits. The overall facilities are lacking when compared to other SEC and ACC giants, but Tech is still in a great place to compete nationally for the foreseeable future.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Y'all should be jumping for joy for this hire. As a father of a recent recruit, Christian Okerholm (2021 RHP) and who helped his son with school and program research. GT is going to be a destination program. DBo is a tremendous recruiter and has the tools and skills to get these kids to and beyond the next level. Hall, Ramsey, and Jaffe are all great and the 4 of them really speak volumes for the program. The pitching lab, coming in 2021, will be the best in the country, BAR NONE!. DBo will be a draw for this program and you will see more and more talent flock this way. It's going to be super fun and exciting! GT is the new "Pitching U". You will be able to siphon and draw kids that would look at and consider top programs like FL and Vandy, Arkansas, etc. The national buzz about this program is great! Together we swarm!! We're so happy Christian chose GT and be part of it!!
Welcome to GTSwarm! Glad you (and your son) are here!

By the way, so it doesn't throw you for a loop later, pone if the "inside jokes" here is that whenever anything goes bad (and I do mean *anything*) the joke on here is Fire Danny Hall. It has been said mostly in jest (although in a couple of really down years it was less in jest) and we mostly joke about it...you know...we only beat FSU by 3 runs....well then Fire Danny Hall!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
My guess is Hall will retire when Colin leaves, whether that be via draft or graduation. Ramsey may try to move to a slightly smaller school and get a head coaching job if he doesn’t get promoted once Hall leaves, but I believe he wants to be here since he’s from Atlanta and has a family now. Jaffe is in a tough position because he loves it at GT, but since his position is unpaid, I doubt he’ll be here much longer unless the 3rd paid assistant proposition is passed. Haven’t spoke to Borrell much, but he seems to enjoy it at Tech so far, also said he was tired of the way professional baseball was being ran. So unless he gets offered nice pay raise somewhere else I would imagine he’s at Tech for as long as he’s allowed to be. The next phase of Rusty C renovations will be completed soon, and the future of GT baseball is bright.

I really wish the GTAA had enough money to properly fund the baseball team. While the Rusty C is a great place, it pales I’m comparison to the other stadiums in the southeast. Also the atmosphere lacks unless Tech is playing Georgia or in the postseason. All of the empty metal bleacher seats around the stadium don’t provide good optics for recruits. The overall facilities are lacking when compared to other SEC and ACC giants, but Tech is still in a great place to compete nationally for the foreseeable future.

I dont disagree that the Rusty C pales compared to some of the "palatial" parks that other schools have (Mississippi State is the only one I have personally been to, but have seen others through out the SEC and other places), however, the lack of atmosphere and "empty metal seats" you mention can easily and inexpensively be (mostly) remedied (IMHO) by (1) winning and (2) actively "recruiting" the student body to attend. You've been around awhile and you know it wasn't always like it has been the last few years. Besides that, the Rusty C has charm and character all its own. The sight lines are great and the sky line for night games is very enjoyable.