Danny Borrell our new pitching coach

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, I have no idea if this is good or not. No matter who was hired. Who the best college pitching coaches may be is not in my aperture.

That said.... I do wonder a few things.
1) Did TStan get involved to extent the pool of candidates included higher caliber options than previous iterations of pitching coach hires? (ie. salary budget higher) This just feels like that.
2) Does Coach Ramsey (recent pro experience) have any prior relationship (professionally) with Coach Borrell?

Glad we have it filled. Because of #1 above... I'm excited this is an upgrade & our young pitchers will benefit... which means the team is better.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, I have no idea if this is good or not. No matter who was hired. Who the best college pitching coaches may be is not in my aperture.

That said.... I do wonder a few things.
1) Did TStan get involved to extent the pool of candidates included higher caliber options than previous iterations of pitching coach hires? (ie. salary budget higher) This just feels like that.
2) Does Coach Ramsey (recent pro experience) have any prior relationship (professionally) with Coach Borrell?

Glad we have it filled. Because of #1 above... I'm excited this is an upgrade & our young pitchers will benefit... which means the team is better.
There is nothing that would seem to connect Ramsey and Borrell together. Borrell has spent his entire professional career, both playing and coaching, with the Yankees, and Ramsey never played for the Yankees. This seems like a really big time hire. There are only 30 minor league pitching coordinators in the league (one for every organization, duh) and to hire a guy out of one of those finite positions and a big time organization is pretty impressive.

I would imagine he will bring a lot more analytics to the table than Howell did, and hopefully whatever he does can limit the appearance of the injury bug a little bit.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Question for Fred, do you think it will help with recruiting better pitchers or higher profile pitchers along the lines of Vandy.
I don't know what all competing factors are to get the elite pitching talent to GT. It will take time. But based on the resume, you have to logically believe it will help improve in that regard.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I agree the new hire has the potential to improve the recruiting and development of capable pitchers.

However, I believe the focus should be on recruiting good young pitchers whose arms have not been overused at the high school and traveling summer ball levels. This would help cut down on the number of arm injuries once they get on our college campus.

This would be easier said than done, though. It (the recruiting of young pitchers with durable arms) will remain a crap shoot.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Question for those in the know - do you think Tex helped with this (Yankee connection)? I think it's a distinct possibility.

I knew Hall (briefly, when he started, and not well since I was a student then) and I know he really has a competitive fire. It may have waned a bit somewhere in there, we've definitely had at least one AD who was absent, but I'm sure he wants to go out with at LEAST a CWS appearance. These changes since ADTS has come on board have only made me more sure of that.