Damon Stoudamire

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Since everyone is dancing around how Stoudamire was even on Batt's radar (most reports were pegging Richey or Kelsey), does make you wonder why they're being hushed about it.

IMO there are some possibilities, some more likely than others.

To me there is 0 doubt CDS was not only identified but also reached out to prior to Pastner being fired. The timing just makes that impossible to believe otherwise for me. There are some hire that seem like such a perfect fit that you could expect a quick turn around, but this isn't one of them. I don't think this is particularly damning or have any issue with it but you likely don't want to air that out nonetheless.

Now the next is pure speculation, but my guess is when Mazzulla was named permanent head coach, and maybe even prior, CDS started looking for opportunities elsewhere. It would make sense, Mazzulla wasn't some super proven head coach and was extremely young. On some level that had to hurt CDS to some degree especially if he had thought he might get the Arizona gig a few years back. Anyways, I doubt he reached out directly to J but my guess is he floated the idea of being the head coach to some of our alums and one of them reached out to J about it. Now, CDS wouldn't want that out there because being an NBA coach who is looking for a new job mid year, when your team is in such a good position, isn't a good look, and J wouldn't want it out there because after the circus that was our football search resulting in donors basically making the hire, he wouldn't want it to appear that this hire was anyone decision but his own even if it was just the identifying a candidate stage.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll preface this by saying that I don't have a problem with it, but it seems clear there had to have been contact before the job was open. Just my assumption. Plus its been mentioned he apparently was at our BC game. I guess that was a coincidence (rolls eyes).

I don't have a problem with it because (a) it seemed obvious the job was going to be open and (b) this is how it's done in literally every job - let's be honest, it's rare that a high level position-holder is let go without knowing fairly well who the most likely replacement(s) are.

I'm a bit cringey on it because he and Pastner have a prior relationship but, again, iiwii.

Long story long, I think that's why they're being vague on how it all came together.
More like they do not want to share how the sausage is made. There is no benefit to allowing the masses know the truth about the process. Especially, if they have a process they like and want to keep in house.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
More like they do not want to share how the sausage is made. There is no benefit to allowing the masses know the truth about the process. Especially, if they have a process they like and want to keep in house.

I dont want to combine two different things. I literally don't care to know and I don't think anyone needs to know.

That said, no AD wants to give away trade secrets so everyone is evasive in explaining how a hire happens. Thats not specific to us.

As I said earlier, I expect the process to include discussing positions with candidates (or their representatives) before they're actually open.

I just think the way our guys are explaining it struck me as odd.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Sturdivant is his Godson...
don’t ya get it? Sturdivant set the whole thing up.
Tipped off J that Damon MAY be interested in college coaching...
Called Damon and said love to see you at the BC game...
Let J know that Damon was at BC; hey, whatta ya know... he’ll be in atlanta in a couple of weeks... just have dinner.
I need a friend like Kyle!
Of course we’re tight lipped about the process... can’t have players picking coaches....
;)

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

slugboy

Staff member
Ya see, this is a thread about our new head basketball coach. That would lead one to understand that all questions are in reference to the new head basketball coach.
We know it’s 5 years. The rest hasn’t been announced or published anywhere that I’ve seen.

I also don’t think we’re retaining any of our assistants, just because if we were keeping any of them, that would be announced and they’d be recruiting right now. It’s still possible that’s wrong, but it seems like we’re getting a fresh start.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ya see, this is a thread about our new head basketball coach. That would lead one to understand that all questions are in reference to the new head basketball coach.

Mean Girls Laugh GIF

That's some high-quality snark-asm, TT.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
There have been several quotes about CDS being honest that he's looking to make himself more marketable and that HE could look good/win big, etc. Of course sometimes quotes aren't taken fully in context. But he does still seem to have at least one eye still on the NBA.
Do any of y'all think he will be a long-time coach for us, even with a 5-yr contract should the NBA come a-calling?
Hopefully he can set up something that would be sustainable even if he did leave in a couple of years.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There have been several quotes about CDS being honest that he's looking to make himself more marketable and that HE could look good/win big, etc. Of course sometimes quotes aren't taken fully in context. But he does still seem to have at least one eye still on the NBA.
Do any of y'all think he will be a long-time coach for us, even with a 5-yr contract should the NBA come a-calling?
Hopefully he can set up something that would be sustainable even if he did leave in a couple of years.
A school in Tucson may come calling if he succeeds here, especially if they go to the Big 12.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

It's like our football team. If a coach comes in, builds up our talent foundation, has success and moves on in 3-5 years....that's totally fine. It will help with the next hire and show prospective candidates that GT is place you can succeed, the talent is there for success, and the foundation for that to happen is there for all of it. Now the new coach can come in and mold the program into his preference without the heavy lifting of the former coach that had to take the bullets to get the program to a good level.

What's hurt us is the perception that GT is a difficult job, hard to recruit to, and our administration doesn't support the program. I think the "administration" part is being addressed at the moment with Batt and Cabrera at the forefront of the two biggest HC jobs for GTAA, and the rest will be up to Key and Stoudamire to address over the next few years.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
You mean that he's successful enough that other jobs will be available to him and that school or organization will pay us (supposedly) millions of dollars if he decides to leave?