Damon Stoudamire

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If we are going to be taking a lot of 3’s then we have several guys who will be hitting the portal because we have guards who can’t shoot. It’s that simple. He’s going to have to run off players to make room for others. And I’m fine with that because watching our offense is painful most of the time.
We have 2 guards who are good 3 point shooters. Kelly and Terry assuming he is back. Coleman has a solid stroke but often takes contested shots. Sturdivant is meh. Smith can hardly hit the floor with a shot from anywhere. The shot quality matters

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Kelly, Terry, and even Sturdivant were very good to excellent from 3 in our last 8-10 games or so. Only Deebo shot poorly during that stretch run. Based on expectations after last year, Deebo shot poorly all season other than a few hot streaks.

In the last 11 games (11 because @ NCSU is when I felt like we started playing better even though that resulted in a loss) Kyle shot 18 for 48 which was 37.5%. For his career he's basically a 33% three point shooter which is good enough to keep defenders honest.

FWIW Coleman during that same stretch was 22 for 63 which was 35% so I wouldn't even really call that shooting poorly overall. And not including the cuse game (2 of 12) he was 20 of 51 for 39%.

Just for giggles Kelly was 40 for 97 for 41% and Terry was 26 for 60 for 43%.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
In the last 11 games (11 because @ NCSU is when I felt like we started playing better even though that resulted in a loss) Kyle shot 18 for 48 which was 37.5%. For his career he's basically a 33% three point shooter which is good enough to keep defenders honest.

FWIW Coleman during that same stretch was 22 for 63 which was 35% so I wouldn't even really call that shooting poorly overall. And not including the cuse game (2 of 12) he was 20 of 51 for 39%.

Just for giggles Kelly was 40 for 97 for 41% and Terry was 26 for 60 for 43%.
Thanks for double checking the stats and keeping me honest. I thought Sturdivant was a little better and Coleman was a little worse than they actually were. As a group, Kelly, Terry, Sturdivant, and Coleman shot about 40% from 3 over the last 9 or 10 games. The team as a whole shot about 39% percent during that time, since hardly anyone else besides Franklin played and/or shot many 3’s. Granted it was only 1/3 of the season, but 40% as a team is pretty good. That would be near tops in the conference if sustainable over an entire season, right?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That's a really good interview in terms of what he wants us to do on the court. As mentioned previously, he takes pride with the defensive side, and he's going to continue to switch defensive looks as Pastner did, but in his own way.

That part of the interview is the last quarter of video. Well worth listening to.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I hope he can turn this program around. I miss what we used to have. It shouldn't just be old man talk about how good the old days were. This program can get back to what it was and be a real force again in the ACC and on the national scene. You can't just accept mediocrity as a program standard.

The promising thing is that leadership (Cabrera and Batt) BOTH have sent the message that our athletic programs will not tolerate mediocrity. Batt has specifically said our MBB program should be playing for conference championships and be regulars in NCAA tournaments. Cabrera has said on multiple occasions that our athletic programs need to be at the standard of GT's academic programs. They have ZERO desire to kick the can down the road like past ADs and GT Presidents.

After paying Geoff Collins 11 million not to coach for GT, and having to hire a new football staff a few months ago, I don't think anyone would have faulted Batt for retaining Pastner. In fact, the majority of the fonts on this board thought it was the more prudent decision to keep Pastner another year and beef up our NIL war chest and program infrastructure. Given that the team had a late season run, and momentum was building towards next season, it would have been the easier decision to keep Pastner. By firing Pastner shortly after the season ended, Batt and Cabrera are sending the message that GT sports has different expectations now. As a fan, you have to respect that leadership isn't paying lip service to their own words, they're actively doing something about it. IMO, even if it doesn't work out with Key or Stoudamire, you have to like the fact that Batt and Cabrera are not settling.

I can tell you from conversations I've had, Batt is an absolute workhorse behind the scenes working donors and finding opportunities help GTAA. It's also not a coincidence you see Cabrera and Batt together and on the same page with every major decision that's going on with the GTAA. Cabrera specifically wants to send the message that the school and GTAA are tied together. That hasn't always been the case to the detriment of GTAA.

slugboy

Staff member
The promising thing is that leadership (Cabrera and Batt) BOTH have sent the message that our athletic programs will not tolerate mediocrity. Batt has specifically said our MBB program should be playing for conference championships and be regulars in NCAA tournaments. Cabrera has said on multiple occasions that our athletic programs need to be at the standard of GT's academic programs. They have ZERO desire to kick the can down the road like past ADs and GT Presidents.

After paying Geoff Collins 11 million not to coach for GT, and having to hire a new football staff a few months ago, I don't think anyone would have faulted Batt for retaining Pastner. In fact, the majority of the fonts on this board thought it was the more prudent decision to keep Pastner another year and beef up our NIL war chest and program infrastructure. Given that the team had a late season run, and momentum was building towards next season, it would have been the easier decision to keep Pastner. By firing Pastner shortly after the season ended, Batt and Cabrera are sending the message that GT sports has different expectations now. As a fan, you have to respect that leadership isn't paying lip service to their own words, they're actively doing something about it. IMO, even if it doesn't work out with Key or Stoudamire, you have to like the fact that Batt and Cabrera are not settling.

I can tell you from conversations I've had, Batt is an absolute workhorse behind the scenes working donors and finding opportunities help GTAA. It's also not a coincidence you see Cabrera and Batt together and on the same page with every major decision that's going on with the GTAA. Cabrera specifically wants to send the message that the school and GTAA are tied together. That hasn't always been the case to the detriment of GTAA.
Well, it’s probably worth $11 million to stop Collins from coaching. I wish it was someone else’s money, though

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, it’s probably worth $11 million to stop Collins from coaching. I wish it was someone else’s money, though

I tell my GT friends all the time, as much as some wanted to move on from CPJ, we really need to be grateful to him. He really could have just mailed it in and forced us to pay him out to leave. He saved GT untold millions by leaving the way he did. Unfortunately, Stansbury squandered that money by hiring Collins.

Last edited:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We have 2 guards who are good 3 point shooters. Kelly and Terry assuming he is back. Coleman has a solid stroke but often takes contested shots. Sturdivant is meh. Smith can hardly hit the floor with a shot from anywhere. The shot quality matters
This is why spacing is so important. We do have good shooters on our team. We just ran a bad offense with poor spacing that forced our players to shoot contested shots out of rhythm. Some did better than others, but that is not their fault. It is the fault of whomever designed the offense. Hopefully, CDS can put together an offensive scheme that allows for better spacing to create more open looks for our outside shooters.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
Cabrera has said on multiple occasions that our athletic programs need to be at the standard of GT's academic programs. They have ZERO desire to kick the can down the road like past ADs and GT Presidents.

I agree. It's probably the first time in my life (2006-present day) that I've seen the GTAA and the institute work as a cohesive unit. Even if these hires don't work out the foundation for future success is being laid out.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm cautiously optimistic about this hire.
It was definitely a little out of the box, but also was clearly what Batt wanted.

This is a much more experienced coach than I expected us to go after.
NBA experience, asst experience at 2 different high major type schools.
HC experience at a very hard to win at mid-major.

The last point may be the most important to me right now. Saw a comment recently where it was said you should pay alot of attention to the type of place a coach had to coach at rather than just looking at the record. Not every coach is going to be a good fit at every stop.
So for a coach coming to GT (which has a reputation in the industry as a relatively hard P5 job to coach at), getting someone who understands coaching at a tough place is likely a plus.

If a coach wins big at a place where multiple coaches have won big, you have to take into account how much of the winning is due to the coach and how much due to the place. Had never really thought like that before but it makes some sense.

I have no idea if this is going to be a single, double, HR or a whiff - but i'm happy that Batt seemed to know exactly what he wanted to do and went out and got it done quickly.
This is the first time since the Hewitt hire that we hired someone that the fans of his previous employer were sad to see him leave.

I would also expect that given his relationship with Pastner (which is pretty ironic), that if any of the current players ask Pastner about Stoudamire that they are likely to get positive feedback. Makes it more likely we keep players we want to keep.

I have no expectations until we see who leaves and who is brought in, as well as who is hired as assts. After that all settles down this summer than i'll start thinking about expectations.
His hire is almost certainly going to create a higher profile in the media for GT.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I would also expect that given his relationship with Pastner (which is pretty ironic), that if any of the current players ask Pastner about Stoudamire that they are likely to get positive feedback. Makes it more likely we keep players we want to keep.
Hope ol Blue has reached out/been reached out to and he will recommit soon.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hope ol Blue has reached out/been reached out to and he will recommit soon.

If Stoudamire wants him, I'm sure he will reach out. There's a possibility players have reached out to him and may be a better option than Cain. Just have to trust Stoudamire's process on this one.

Personally, I want Cain here. LOVE his game tape and potential...that being said, it may be that Stoudamire may not see a fit for him in his system. We'll see...

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I really enjoyed his introductory press conference. Great to see him reference GT's rich history and so many of the guys who have gone on to successful pro careers. More than that, I think his relationships with some of those guys could prove to be HUGE. Tech has a lot of guys who have made a lot of money in the NBA. Even a guy like Derrick Favors has made over $120MM. If we can get those guys to start investing back into the program, I think that could be huge in terms of NIL. Could really be a game changer and seems Stoudamire has the connections and reputation to maybe make that happen. D3's comments reflect those conversations may already be happening. For reference, Mark Teixeira has done tremendous things for our baseball program all on his own. A few NBA guys buying in like Bosh, Favors, Young, Jack, etc. could be huge, not to mention the legends like Anderson, Scott, Price, Best, etc. etc.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting he openly mentions Chad Dollar wanting to be on the staff ... except that his current team has that pesky tournament going on. :D
Good listen. I can respect the fact that he doesn't want to name potential assistants given they are likely employed elsewhere now and/or haven't publicly expressed interest. I think that we will be pleased with the assistants CDS hires from a player development standpoint. I hope that they are tenacious recruiters.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If Stoudamire wants him, I'm sure he will reach out. There's a possibility players have reached out to him and may be a better option than Cain. Just have to trust Stoudamire's process on this one.

Personally, I want Cain here. LOVE his game tape and potential...that being said, it may be that Stoudamire may not see a fit for him in his system. We'll see...
I suspect he will want wing players that can create their own shot, put the ball on the floor, drive the paint. Spot shooters not so much if that's all they can do. He was a really good player on college. I don't remember how well he could shoot but he ran the offense very well.