Damon Stoudamire

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Really interesting interview here. Stoudamire seems like a coach that isn't going to pull any punches...with the media or players. Some pretty pointed comments with how the team is shaping up right now. Good thing is season is still months away, and there's still a lot time to work on some issues.

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like CDS will be holding players to the same high standards I place on you guys.

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to this season and tenure. It may not net huge win totals right away, but setting a foundation of toughness can't hurt.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think some of this is coach speak. I don’t believe CJP was going light on the guys. Generally speaking he seemed like a dude who set the expectation and then remained unwavering in his position.

Remember his “Saturday school” or whatever he called the extra development process Moses went through?

What I do think may be different is that DS is desiring to run a more dynamic and free flowing offense where he sees our guys doing and going to the spots he expects. The communication and trust aspects there seem to make sense in the context of our history (remember how we would sometimes get lost in transition looking for an alpha to demand the ball or see the exact opposite where guys fell in love with their own number and ignored open dudes)?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Of course it is. But I believe he wants his guys to initiate and expect more physical contact (ala Baylor and several SEC teams). I hope it's more than coach speak.
Agree on the physicality part.

That was always a head scratcher for me the last few years it seemed like our guys practiced with the loosest whistle in the world and would get into games and knocked off their spots while looking for a foul.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It is going to be really interesting to see how different our style of play is this year under CDS than what we are accustomed to have seen under CJP.

I would expect more attacking the basket at both ends of the court as step #1. I doubt we play much zone defense anymore as #2. I think we will be looking for early 3 point shots in transition as #3.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that he chose to focus on rebounding as a prime measure of "toughness". Defensive rebounding is pretty standard for that but he is looking for offensive rebounding as well. Probably half of the teams out there have chosen to give up on offensive rebounding in order to not give up fast break points. Other teams like Houston make a living on the offensive glass. Not sure we have the players to emulate Houston quite yet.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the pieces (offensive scheme etc) come together

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Let’s not forget the asterisk associated with only having to win two games. The UVA forfeit in the semi-finals was truly a gift from the Hoop Gods. The regular season and the subsequent first-round exit, showed our weaknesses.
Also, an N.I.T. run with CBG’s players and one other post-season tournament in 7 years, is nothing to get overly excited about.
When Tech fans need to Tech fan.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
he is looking for offensive rebounding as well. Probably half of the teams out there have chosen to give up on offensive rebounding in order to not give up fast break points. Other teams like Houston make a living on the offensive glass.

Dean Smith & Roy Williams made their living on having their teams dominate the offensive glass. In today's world, very few teams run the UNC system with two bigs (hi-lo) that gave them such an advantage for years. In today's world, you need wings and perimeter guys who are willing to go into the paint and do the hard work to get rebounds. We had one last year (Deivon) and we've had others in the past. Will be interesting to see which of our smaller guys has the nose for the ball and the desire to get knocked around

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think some of this is coach speak. I don’t believe CJP was going light on the guys. Generally speaking he seemed like a dude who set the expectation and then remained unwavering in his position.

Remember his “Saturday school” or whatever he called the extra development process Moses went through?

What I do think may be different is that DS is desiring to run a more dynamic and free flowing offense where he sees our guys doing and going to the spots he expects. The communication and trust aspects there seem to make sense in the context of our history (remember how we would sometimes get lost in transition looking for an alpha to demand the ball or see the exact opposite where guys fell in love with their own number and ignored open dudes)?

I don't know how much Pastner emphasized "toughness" in practice, but the guy was not shy about dressing down his players during a game. If they weren't tough on the boards, they better have been mentally tough. Dude was on TV ripping into players.