Dabo

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
upload_2019-10-22_11-47-10.png

... and according to the article, he also has a $50 MM buy-out !

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
As a reminder, a few interesting things.
1) His original contract he signed in 2008 was for $1m per year.
2) ESPN rated the hire a D.
3) Paul Johnson (IIRC) was making 30% than Dabo back then.

I was at the first game he coached when GT played them at Clemson and at that time there was a lot of angst among my Clemson friends and others during the tailgate about the hire ...

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I still have the feeling he'll be going to Alabama when Nick Satan retires and Alabama could easily pay his buyout.

I don’t see that. I get the feeling that Dabo would rather stay at the place he has built (Clemson), rather than move into someone else’s house (Saban’s). There’s nothing for him at Bama. Win, and he’s doing nothing more than what Saban did there...lose, and his reputation is tarnished. What smart coach would ever want to be the person to follow Saban, with the expectations set by Nick? Dabo could more than likely retire at Clemson as a god, and I have a feeling Clemson would continue to throw money at him if needed. He already gets everything he wants there, and is revered.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I give him him 10 years left coaching, MAX. Win 2 more titles and then what? He will maybe go into TV, taking Lee Corso's spot on GameDay, or become "Special Assistant to the AD" -ie Our fund raising guy-. Don't see him coaching into his 60's. Not worth it. Slow down and enjoy life brother.

FYI, Collins is about 18 months younger than Dabo.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Win, and he’s doing nothing more than what Saban did there...lose, and his reputation is tarnished. What smart coach would ever want to be the person to follow Saban, with the expectations set by Nick?
Exactly. Any success Dabo might have at Bama, for the first decade of his tenure, would be “Nick built that.” Every loss, for his entire tenure, would be, “That wouldn’t have happened under Nick.”

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Any success Dabo might have at Bama, for the first decade of his tenure, would be “Nick built that.” Every loss, for his entire tenure, would be, “That wouldn’t have happened under Nick.”
Bama fans complains when you don’t win by enough and ask for you to be fired if you lose one game. I can’t think of a program apart from Uga I’d want to coach at less.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I was at the first game he coached when GT played them at Clemson and at that time there was a lot of angst among my Clemson friends and others during the tailgate about the hire ...
I was there with my boy at that GT victory in Clemson, too!
I’m working the WF-Clemson tomorrow. We worked all of their games except Charlotte. Believe me, he can do no wrong. Winning not only shifts attitudes, it brings the community closer together. It’s an event. They tailgate beyond reason. We’ve had passouts for the last few seasons, so the fans can go in and out at their leisure.