dabo vs geof

Deleted member 2897

Clemson has 3 of the top 8 recruits in the country. Like 8 in the top 25. When there are hundreds of schools and 1 gets that many, there’s also something smelly in those hills. When juniors forecasted to go in the first round in a violent sport with a short lifetime stay in school, there’s something smelly in those hills.

But we don’t need to be Clemson. We could lose to them and Georgia by 100 points every year and still win 10 games. Building a program where we can beat USF, Temple, Citadel, UNC, Duke, Pitt, etc is not nearly as difficult as trying to beat a Clemson. We can do great things that are also very possible for us without having to offer Parks & Rec degrees, kiddie slides, or blatant cheating.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has 3 of the top 8 recruits in the country. Like 8 in the top 25. When there are hundreds of schools and 1 gets that many, there’s also something smelly in those hills. When juniors forecasted to go in the first round in a violent sport with a short lifetime stay in school, there’s something smelly in those hills.

But we don’t need to be Clemson. We could lose to them and Georgia by 100 points every year and still win 10 games. Building a program where we can beat USF, Temple, Citadel, UNC, Duke, Pitt, etc is not nearly as difficult as trying to beat a Clemson. We can do great things that are also very possible for us without having to offer Parks & Rec degrees, kiddie slides, or blatant cheating.
It's not smelly at all. This is the college sports positive feedback loop. I would suspect fewer players than you would imagine get paid in football, where 1 player out of 65 can't have that much of an impact (for the most part; see: $Cam Newton -- those who are getting paid are probably mostly skill players). It's so easy to recruit and communicate with a coach halfway across the country in 2019 and players want to go play where they can win national championships and play on the biggest stage to advertise their professional aspirations.

Paying players is a much bigger problem in hoops I would think, where one player can be transcendent for your roster (and they can have immediate impact even as an 18 year old).

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do you think people are lowering a bar instead of setting realistic expectations for the program? We were picked dead last in the ACC pre season. All neutral observers seem to understand the gargantuan task Collins has in front of him but for some reason a few people on this board think the transition is no big deal.

The transition out was always going to be a struggle. And honestly the AD that hired Johnson cashed in on his initial success and doesn’t have to deal with the consequences of his decision. Which I think was his plan all along. Look at what happened to the Nebraska program when they tried to transition out. It’s a huge task and we are going to have to be patient. Thank goodness a majority of the country understands this.
Wtf are you talking about? Nebraska got greedy and fired coaches because they could not win national championships like Osborne. It wasn't that they went away from the option that hurt the program it's that they made crap hires in between solid coaches, e.g. Callahan and Riley.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why do you think people are lowering a bar instead of setting realistic expectations for the program? We were picked dead last in the ACC pre season. All neutral observers seem to understand the gargantuan task Collins has in front of him but for some reason a few people on this board think the transition is no big deal.

The transition out was always going to be a struggle. And honestly the AD that hired Johnson cashed in on his initial success and doesn’t have to deal with the consequences of his decision. Which I think was his plan all along. Look at what happened to the Nebraska program when they tried to transition out. It’s a huge task and we are going to have to be patient. Thank goodness a majority of the country understands this.
Those same outsiders picked us to tank in ‘08 as well.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Wtf are you talking about? Nebraska got greedy and fired coaches because they could not win national championships like Osborne. It wasn't that they went away from the option that hurt the program it's that they made crap hires in between solid coaches, e.g. Callahan and Riley.

So they didn’t take a step back when they transitioned out of the option? I’ll let you make the argument that the transition hasn’t been difficult for them. That’s one that I can’t even begin to make.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Those same outsiders picked us to tank in ‘08 as well.

True. And I think you saw in week one why transitioning out is more difficult than transitioning in. We just don’t have a qb that can run what we are trying to do. It would have been similar to Johnson having to run his system with Booker at qb all year. We tried that for 1 game against a 1AA team and won 10-7.