Cut Blocking

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I want to get the board’s opinion on something I have been pondering. Let’s assume our new scheme is not a traditional veer/option offense. If there are no further changes to the cut blocking rules, is it safe to assume all those rule changes were designed to limit our success?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I want to get the board’s opinion on something I have been pondering. Let’s assume our new scheme is not a traditional veer/option offense. If there are no further changes to the cut blocking rules, is it safe to assume all those rule changes were designed to limit our success?

Yes and I think Cutcliffe had a lot to do with the rule change, FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The WHOLE NCAA, and ALL it’s members, were out to get CPJ?

Poor sewak.
Well, the rules have changed almost every year with respect to cut blocking so I would expect that to continue if it wasn’t a result of our offense. Wouldn’t you? I mean if it were truly player safety related blocking below the waist should continue to get more restrictive.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s weird god they made all the changes to cut blocks when there isn’t any data that shows they’re more dangerous and also when the data shows that it’s the repeated blows to the head that causes concussions. Where are you supposed to hit someone? It’s like they’re encouraging the helmet to helmet hits.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only cut blocking rule that makes any sense to me at all is the no crack back towards the middle from the outside below the waist. The rest is garbage. Like CPJ says, if it is so damn dangerous, why don't we eliminate tackling below the waist? How many times have you seen a TE catch a ball, looking back at the QB, only to immediately have his knees driven into by a helmet or a shoulder pad before he even has a chance to get his head around. That is a completely legal play.

Actual chop block rule is good too, but I don't consider that a cut block per se. Also, the clipping rule takes care of itself too.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
The existing rules were poorly enforced this year. We were incorrectly penalized for no reason multiple times.

I think that's a hint that the OP's point is valid.

/

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The rule change was definitely to target running offenses ( ours is not the only one that cuts, you see cut blocking on any running scheme. Hell the singleback toss crack concept is basically our rocket toss and relies on backside cutting and cutting the backer.