Custis, Hunt-Days not eligible for ’14 football season

After reading the article, and having 5 kids of my own, I understand the ambivalence the Days are feeling with JHD's performance. It's our job to teach them and instruct them. However, at this point, it's up to JHD. He's of a majority now and the contract for his scholarship is between GTAA and JHD. His parents have no say. They can support and guide, but the decisions, choices and consequences are on him.

If that were me and my parents came out publicly like that, I'd tell them politely that they had no right to discuss my private business in a public forum and to keep the comments to themselves. He may be acting like a kid and need the kick in the pants that he'll likely get from this, but suggesting his scholarship be pulled is crossing a line they have no business crossing.
I am going to take a wild guess that YOU would not have failed your class, as JHD did, so this situation would have never materialized in your academic career. Parents are people and they can become embarassed by the irresponsible actions of their kids. The comments did seem a little bit of overkill, but to say the education and deportment of their son is not their business is not right. You are a dad, so you know, sometimes a child of 17 or 18 needs as much or more parenting than a three year old.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good for the Days parents.

Too many parents aren't willing to blame the student and always pint the finger at the teacher. Hopefully JHD uses this as a wake up call and takes advantage of the opportunity he has received. His parents said nothing that we hadn't speculated, they only confirmed what was and made sure there were no other rumors floating around as to why he was ineligible (drugs, etc.).

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
After reading the article, and having 5 kids of my own, I understand the ambivalence the Days are feeling with JHD's performance. It's our job to teach them and instruct them. However, at this point, it's up to JHD. He's of a majority now and the contract for his scholarship is between GTAA and JHD. His parents have no say. They can support and guide, but the decisions, choices and consequences are on him.

If that were me and my parents came out publicly like that, I'd tell them politely that they had no right to discuss my private business in a public forum and to keep the comments to themselves. He may be acting like a kid and need the kick in the pants that he'll likely get from this, but suggesting his scholarship be pulled is crossing a line they have no business crossing.

I think his father's words are appropriate, considering how close the family appears to be. I also think the interview was part of the message they were trying to send JHD. I thought the line about wanting to hug him and tell him it would be alright was very telling. As a parent myself, I have much more respect for these statements than I do the "hey man, kids are kids" type comments that many student-athlete parents give (Johnny Football)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Technically, forensic, I agree that JHD is an adult, and ultimately this is all about him, not his parents. Hopefully, he is learning a great lesson, and he will be better for it.

But, with that said, I will tell you it is my strong opinion that one of the symptoms of many of today's societal problems is the lack of respect for parents from our youth and young adults. In previous generations, this accountability, the belief that you not only did not want to let yourself down, but also to not let your parents down, existed more frequently, and this made a difference in some young people's lives. Unfortunately, our young people are bombarded with bad examples in the media, and this bombardment of bad examples can lead to a warped perspective that is guiding so many of them down regretful paths. Yes, this has always been true to some degree, but it is at an all time high level now, in my opinion.

"Tough love" usually means you care about your children more than you care about yourself, and ultimately, your children will come around and see this truth.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think his father's words are appropriate, considering how close the family appears to be. I also think the interview was part of the message they were trying to send JHD. I thought the line about wanting to hug him and tell him it would be alright was very telling. As a parent myself, I have much more respect for these statements than I do the "hey man, kids are kids" type comments that many student-athlete parents give (Johnny Football)

Agreed. Contrast that with Jameis' dad intimating his son needs a babysitter to keep him from shoplifting.

Hope JHD comes back stronger than ever in the classroom for his own sake. Nothing to be ashamed about necessarily. People fail classes at all schools especially at Tech (trust me I know). Like most things in life, it's how you respond to adversity that's important.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I feel this will only make CPJ even more 'gun shy' in admitting future exceptions, especially the Custis situation. The 'hill' can play this any way they want because they know the NCAA with APR already keeps coach in check.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Presumably, JHD has visions of playing in the NFL. Not being able to play has to hurt his NFL chances since he's going to miss a year of playing time. It seems unlikely that his parents will pay for him go to another school so that he can play football. So he'll either have to find a way to pay his own way or re-dedicate himself to his GT schoolwork with the intent of being eligible to play his senior season. I hope JHD finds the best path forward.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
wow - what a great sentiment from the dad. D@mn Right he should take it seriously, and live up to being a TECH man. Happy to see this, and happier still to hear the parents speaking highly of CPJ

Tech First

Jolly Good Fellow
Good for the Days parents.

Too many parents aren't willing to blame the student and always pint the finger at the teacher. Hopefully JHD uses this as a wake up call and takes advantage of the opportunity he has received. His parents said nothing that we hadn't speculated, they only confirmed what was and made sure there were no other rumors floating around as to why he was ineligible (drugs, etc.).
Being a parent of six. I can assure you there were many other things leading up to this incident that caused the parents reaction. I approve of all that they did and young people would be better off if we had more parents like them.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I remember S. Days having a bad attitude with the track coach in HS when I was on campus talking to with one of the football coaches. While I was talking to my friend I saw Calvin Days walk all the way from his seat and go correct his son on his behavior in front of everyone. He handled it quite well with being direct and stern but not making a spectacle. S Days changed his behavior pretty quick lol.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

They have no business crossing that line? Really??? Legal aspect of schollie aside....his parents have invested their time, love, and resources on the young man. That has earned them the right sir. And that right des not expire.

As an aside...their disappointment stems more from his apparent lack of effort in class rather than the grade itself. I'm sure if he'd obviously given his all on a tough class the reaction would be more tempered.
I think most of us will admit to having made some really dumb mistakes and screwing up in our youth. True for JHD here I'm sure. His was certainly not as grievous as some i made back in the day. Tough price for him to pay but I'm sure he will grow from it and recover. His support system, aka family, makes me feel pretty certain of this. Kudos to the Days family. Tough love is usually just as hard on the parents as it is on the kids. But it's very important in establishing their self respect and sense of accountability.

Contrast what Hunt-Days' parents said to what Jameis Winston's dad has said, as printed in the Tallahassee paper --- WORLD OF DIFFERENCE ---

I'll bring the crab legs!
So the headlines in the Tallahassee Democrat this morning read:

Dad: Family, Florida State failed Jameis Winston

In the articlestar quarterback andHeisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston’s father discussed his son’s recent antics and how Florida State University and their family have failed his son.

Hmmm . . .

When I read the article I groaned. I mean com’on, when does Jameis take responsibility for his own actions? In July 2012, police were called to a Burger King after an employee complained of Winston stealing soda. In November of that year, he was questioned after windows were broken at an apartment complex in a BB gun battle. Then he got charged with sexually assaulting, (raping) a young woman on campus which he claims was consensual sex, then a few days ago he stole some crab legs, crawfish, and butter at a grocery store.

And now his dad is saying that Winston’s family and the University have let poor little Jameis down. His dad even suggested that he should be provided around the clock security to keep him on the straight and narrow. Maybe Coach Jimbo Fischer can line up the Secret Service to come down from Washington D.C. and keep him straight, (oops that’s right they have problems of their own; if they came down they might get drunk and find some prostitutes to chase around town).

The Democrat published a 233-word text Winston sent to his father. He wrote in part:

“I know what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, actually being suspended was the best days of my life! When I get older we gone laugh at this petty stuff. IM GOOD that’s all that matters, ignore minor comments or people that ain’t livin MY life”

He went on to tell his father in the four days he was suspended he got to spend some time with kids, workout, and go to church. He wrote:

“God did that for a reason u accepted my punishment now everythang is over. I live for success and greatness and I ain’t gone stop doing that so everythang good.”

Hmmm . . . This is an interesting text. According to Jameis all that matters is that he is “GOOD”. Well let’s see, he led his football team to a National Championship and won the Heisman trophy, and has almost certainly assured himself a place in the NFL where he will no doubt continue to excel at the sport and make millions and I suppose that’s good.

On the other hand he seems beset with issues involving immorality and crimes such as stealing and the more serious sexual assault incident. Additionally judging from the vocabulary used in his text, his education is certainly not college level and he needs to bear down and study and get an education.

Jameis is now the object of jokes that span the globe. A Taiwanese firm even did an animation of him using his Heisman football moves to elude the police as he moved through the store as he stole the crab legs. An altered photo of him holding up the National Championship trophy full of crab legs is being circulated to millions of people via social media and so forth.

Winston’s father said he is just under too much pressure and that poor little Jameis is just a freshman and no one understands what that’s like to be so famous at such a young age.

Excuse me? Tim Tebow led his team to win two National Championships and he won the Heisman and was under intense pressure, but he didn’t act like this. He was ridiculed for bowing and praying and wearing John 3:16 patches under his eyes as a witness for Jesus to the television audience, but no rape allegations, or stealing.

Some of this is silly freshman stuff and lots of kids makes mistakes like that, but being accused of rape and stealing is no laughing matter and I meet guys in prison all of the time that got there because of those crimes. As a matter of fact I recently met a former Green Bay Packer all star player in a Texas prison. Gone was the adulation, the girls that wanted to hop in bed with him, the money, the fame, the accomplishments of winning Super Bowls, the TV interviews, and the good times. He was lifting weights on the yard with some other guys and had sad eyes.

No one has asked me, but I would say, “’Everthang’ not so good with Jameis”. I prayed for this young man today. If he and his dad think he is under pressure now, just wait until he gets twenty million dollars handed to him. Take it from me he will experience temptation like he didn’t even know exists and the circus that follows him will only get crazier. The press will be his constant companion and will make a big deal out of him just like they did Tiger Woods, heck he might even get his picture on a box of cereal or something. But when he makes a nasty little misstep, that same press will be there to maul him like a devouring lion.

So what is the difference between Tim Tebow and Jameis Winston? It is not a racial thing, so don’t even go there and play the racial card with me. This isn’t about race; it is a morality issue. Jameis mentioned God in his text. I prayed that he will indeed turn to God and get down on his knees and pray for guidance. If he does, I predict that he will do well in the limelight just like Tebow did.

Jameis has to take full responsibility for his actions moving forward. He has been given some warning shots, but seemingly as soon as he got off the hook he went right back to the pig sty. My childhood sucked, but it finally reached a point where I had to take responsibility for my own actions. I can’t blame my parents, or moving around from school to school, or anything or anybody else. My mother couldn’t change me, nor could my dad, nor the military, or a school; only God could do it, but “I” had to ask Him to come into my life. I had to make a decision to follow God or keep following satan and the world. I’m glad I chose God; otherwise I would be dead and in hell forever at this very moment.

I had to reach rock bottom before my stubborn nature yielded. If I could mentor this young man I would recommend that he get involved with a good church and maybe seek Tim Tebow out as a mentor and surrender to God before he goes to rock bottom. “Everythang” not so good at rock bottom – I can tell you that much for sure . . .

Fortunately God stands willing to forgive and welcome us all home (even after our wallow in the pig sty) . . . I’m ready to celebrate and rejoice with you my brother – Come on home Jameis . . . (I’ll bring the crab legs . . . )

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I knew I would catch hell for my post, but I stand behind what I said. Please re-read my original post after this clarification and see if you still feel like laying into me. I'll try to address each comment in specific or general, depending.

I am going to take a wild guess that YOU would not have failed your class, as JHD did, so this situation would have never materialized in your academic career. Parents are people and they can become embarassed by the irresponsible actions of their kids. The comments did seem a little bit of overkill, but to say the education and deportment of their son is not their business is not right. You are a dad, so you know, sometimes a child of 17 or 18 needs as much or more parenting than a three year old.
Specific: I actually graduated with 4 F's and 3 D's on my transcript. I was off and on academic warning for two full years. So, yes, I fully understand the rigors of Tech. I also paid my own way through school, and graduated with no student loans. I cannot imagine being a student-athlete, I barely made it as a regular student.

General: I applaud the Days for their stance and their approach. I agree with most everything most of you have said. I have been embarrassed by things my kids have said and done, and embarrassed my parents with things I've said and done. They will never stop being his parents. They will always provide guidance and direction, regardless of how old JHD is. We should all appreciate this from our parents, and respect them for what the have to offer us.

Tough love is exactly that, tough. There probably have been many things that have shaped the opinions of the Days parents. I agree with everything Mr. Days said. My comment, go back and read it, was that, in my opinion, he had no right to make those judgements in a public forum. That's the extent of my disagreement. All of the things he said needed to be said, I'm sure. I just don't believe it should have been said to a reporter. This isn't said to protect Jabari, but to respect the fact that he's an adult, and his relationship with his school and coach is his business. When and if he invites his parents into that discussion, it becomes their business, but until then, their comments should remain behind closed doors.

I'm on my iPad, so typing this all out is tedious, so my thoughts are synopsized. If I continue to get grief, and it warrants it, I'll elaborate later. You don't have to agree with me, it's just my opinion. But you don't have to get nasty either. (Not redirected towards anyone in particular)

Yeah, I knew I would catch hell for my post, but I stand behind what I said. Please re-read my original post after this clarification and see if you still feel like laying into me. I'll try to address each comment in specific or general, depending.

Specific: I actually graduated with 4 F's and 3 D's on my transcript. I was off and on academic warning for two full years. So, yes, I fully understand the rigors of Tech. I also paid my own way through school, and graduated with no student loans. I cannot imagine being a student-athlete, I barely made it as a regular student.

General: I applaud the Days for their stance and their approach. I agree with most everything most of you have said. I have been embarrassed by things my kids have said and done, and embarrassed my parents with things I've said and done. They will never stop being his parents. They will always provide guidance and direction, regardless of how old JHD is. We should all appreciate this from our parents, and respect them for what the have to offer us.

Tough love is exactly that, tough. There probably have been many things that have shaped the opinions of the Days parents. I agree with everything Mr. Days said. My comment, go back and read it, was that, in my opinion, he had no right to make those judgements in a public forum. That's the extent of my disagreement. All of the things he said needed to be said, I'm sure. I just don't believe it should have been said to a reporter. This isn't said to protect Jabari, but to respect the fact that he's an adult, and his relationship with his school and coach is his business. When and if he invites his parents into that discussion, it becomes their business, but until then, their comments should remain behind closed doors.

I'm on my iPad, so typing this all out is tedious, so my thoughts are synopsized. If I continue to get grief, and it warrants it, I'll elaborate later. You don't have to agree with me, it's just my opinion. But you don't have to get nasty either. (Not redirected towards anyone in particular)

The good thing about putting it in a public forum, at least IMO, is that others can see and hopefully learn what good parenting really is. It's for sure the Mr. Winston's of this world need to be made aware of that

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Contrast what Hunt-Days' parents said to what Jameis Winston's dad has said, as printed in the Tallahassee paper --- WORLD OF DIFFERENCE ---

I'll bring the crab legs!
So the headlines in the Tallahassee Democrat this morning read:

Dad: Family, Florida State failed Jameis Winston

In the articlestar quarterback andHeisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston’s father discussed his son’s recent antics and how Florida State University and their family have failed his son.

Hmmm . . .

When I read the article I groaned. I mean com’on, when does Jameis take responsibility for his own actions? In July 2012, police were called to a Burger King after an employee complained of Winston stealing soda. In November of that year, he was questioned after windows were broken at an apartment complex in a BB gun battle. Then he got charged with sexually assaulting, (raping) a young woman on campus which he claims was consensual sex, then a few days ago he stole some crab legs, crawfish, and butter at a grocery store.

And now his dad is saying that Winston’s family and the University have let poor little Jameis down. His dad even suggested that he should be provided around the clock security to keep him on the straight and narrow. Maybe Coach Jimbo Fischer can line up the Secret Service to come down from Washington D.C. and keep him straight, (oops that’s right they have problems of their own; if they came down they might get drunk and find some prostitutes to chase around town).

The Democrat published a 233-word text Winston sent to his father. He wrote in part:

“I know what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, actually being suspended was the best days of my life! When I get older we gone laugh at this petty stuff. IM GOOD that’s all that matters, ignore minor comments or people that ain’t livin MY life”

He went on to tell his father in the four days he was suspended he got to spend some time with kids, workout, and go to church. He wrote:

“God did that for a reason u accepted my punishment now everythang is over. I live for success and greatness and I ain’t gone stop doing that so everythang good.”

Hmmm . . . This is an interesting text. According to Jameis all that matters is that he is “GOOD”. Well let’s see, he led his football team to a National Championship and won the Heisman trophy, and has almost certainly assured himself a place in the NFL where he will no doubt continue to excel at the sport and make millions and I suppose that’s good.

On the other hand he seems beset with issues involving immorality and crimes such as stealing and the more serious sexual assault incident. Additionally judging from the vocabulary used in his text, his education is certainly not college level and he needs to bear down and study and get an education.

Jameis is now the object of jokes that span the globe. A Taiwanese firm even did an animation of him using his Heisman football moves to elude the police as he moved through the store as he stole the crab legs. An altered photo of him holding up the National Championship trophy full of crab legs is being circulated to millions of people via social media and so forth.

Winston’s father said he is just under too much pressure and that poor little Jameis is just a freshman and no one understands what that’s like to be so famous at such a young age.

Excuse me? Tim Tebow led his team to win two National Championships and he won the Heisman and was under intense pressure, but he didn’t act like this. He was ridiculed for bowing and praying and wearing John 3:16 patches under his eyes as a witness for Jesus to the television audience, but no rape allegations, or stealing.

Some of this is silly freshman stuff and lots of kids makes mistakes like that, but being accused of rape and stealing is no laughing matter and I meet guys in prison all of the time that got there because of those crimes. As a matter of fact I recently met a former Green Bay Packer all star player in a Texas prison. Gone was the adulation, the girls that wanted to hop in bed with him, the money, the fame, the accomplishments of winning Super Bowls, the TV interviews, and the good times. He was lifting weights on the yard with some other guys and had sad eyes.

No one has asked me, but I would say, “’Everthang’ not so good with Jameis”. I prayed for this young man today. If he and his dad think he is under pressure now, just wait until he gets twenty million dollars handed to him. Take it from me he will experience temptation like he didn’t even know exists and the circus that follows him will only get crazier. The press will be his constant companion and will make a big deal out of him just like they did Tiger Woods, heck he might even get his picture on a box of cereal or something. But when he makes a nasty little misstep, that same press will be there to maul him like a devouring lion.

So what is the difference between Tim Tebow and Jameis Winston? It is not a racial thing, so don’t even go there and play the racial card with me. This isn’t about race; it is a morality issue. Jameis mentioned God in his text. I prayed that he will indeed turn to God and get down on his knees and pray for guidance. If he does, I predict that he will do well in the limelight just like Tebow did.

Jameis has to take full responsibility for his actions moving forward. He has been given some warning shots, but seemingly as soon as he got off the hook he went right back to the pig sty. My childhood sucked, but it finally reached a point where I had to take responsibility for my own actions. I can’t blame my parents, or moving around from school to school, or anything or anybody else. My mother couldn’t change me, nor could my dad, nor the military, or a school; only God could do it, but “I” had to ask Him to come into my life. I had to make a decision to follow God or keep following satan and the world. I’m glad I chose God; otherwise I would be dead and in hell forever at this very moment.

I had to reach rock bottom before my stubborn nature yielded. If I could mentor this young man I would recommend that he get involved with a good church and maybe seek Tim Tebow out as a mentor and surrender to God before he goes to rock bottom. “Everythang” not so good at rock bottom – I can tell you that much for sure . . .

Fortunately God stands willing to forgive and welcome us all home (even after our wallow in the pig sty) . . . I’m ready to celebrate and rejoice with you my brother – Come on home Jameis . . . (I’ll bring the crab legs . . . )
As JHD's dad, I would have said something to the effect:

"Jabari's mother and I are extremely disappointed with his actions. He is an adult now, and needs to understand that what he does or does not do may have dire ramifications. We love and support him, but he has put himself in this situation, and it is up to him to dig himself out. His current status at GT is between his coach, the Administration and him. It's time for him to put his big-boy pants on and take responsibility for his life.

If you want specifics regarding his situation, you should address those questions to Jabari."

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Winston-crab-run.png
jameis-winston-crab-legs-meme-3.jpeg

Sorry...this might be tasteless (and not to detract from JHD parents who are awesome!), but I almost fell out of my chair.

I didn't mean to give you grief, I was trying to say "I bet you weren't irresponsible in school." And by your narrative, you weren't. I pulled a 0.7 one quarter, but I also put myself thru on my own, and left with no debt.