Custis, Hunt-Days not eligible for ’14 football season

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope TC makes it back to GT. I really do, but I don't expect it. I don't blame his home town school system either, even if it is in disarray. You can get a good education in pretty much any system. You just need to want it and work for it from the get go. Obviously he didn't do that. My prayer is that he will learn from his current situation and dedicate himself academically, like he never has before, in order to reach his God given potential, whatever that may be. If it brings him back to GT I will be very proud of him.

As far as TECH is concerned, I am glad that it was tough for me. Being an ME major and a varsity athlete was not easy, but it helped build character. My only gripe has nothing to do with courses available or the challenging nature of the fields of study, but rather the attitudes of some of the professors. They could have cared less that I was going to be gone from class for a week playing ball. In fact, I would say some of them went out of their way to make it extra difficult for jocks who were missing classes. The make up tests were always worse than the ones the rest of the class took in my absence. I can remember seething after looking at my classmate's test and then looking at mine after we got them back. What can you do? This was a long time ago and there weren't that many jocks in the ME program so most of the profs probably just viewed me as a nuisance. Maybe things have changed since I was there. Other than that, I would say TECH was a blast. We worked hard and played hard too. There were some pretty wild parties in my day. I am talking crazy wild. So I don't buy the dead campus vibe some people are throwing out there.
I graduated from Jonesboro High School, just down the street from Lovejoy High, I did just fine at Tech. I left Clay Co. right around when all the accreditation was being taken away.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope TC makes it back to GT. I really do, but I don't expect it. I don't blame his home town school system either, even if it is in disarray. You can get a good education in pretty much any system. You just need to want it and work for it from the get go. Obviously he didn't do that. My prayer is that he will learn from his current situation and dedicate himself academically, like he never has before, in order to reach his God given potential, whatever that may be. If it brings him back to GT I will be very proud of him.

As far as TECH is concerned, I am glad that it was tough for me. Being an ME major and a varsity athlete was not easy, but it helped build character. My only gripe has nothing to do with courses available or the challenging nature of the fields of study, but rather the attitudes of some of the professors. They could have cared less that I was going to be gone from class for a week playing ball. In fact, I would say some of them went out of their way to make it extra difficult for jocks who were missing classes. The make up tests were always worse than the ones the rest of the class took in my absence. I can remember seething after looking at my classmate's test and then looking at mine after we got them back. What can you do? This was a long time ago and there weren't that many jocks in the ME program so most of the profs probably just viewed me as a nuisance. Maybe things have changed since I was there. Other than that, I would say TECH was a blast. We worked hard and played hard too. There were some pretty wild parties in my day. I am talking crazy wild. So I don't buy the dead campus vibe some people are throwing out there.

I did not attend Tech. Part of me is mad for not trying to get in, the other is glad I didn't flunk out either. I went to Georgia State and did get out with a Biology degree and Chem Degree. I didn't realize the value of work, school work that is, until I had almost graduated. My wife is the one who pushed me to work harder in college. It was something when growing up school was easy and when it became a challenge I didn't know how to study because I never had to before. Took 2 years for me to "get it." I just hope both these young men and all learn how to "get it." If everyone would understand that hard work pays off then we wouldn't have some of the problems we have today. Makes the people who do work hard look better because of the ones who don't. To me this isn't a football issue it is a life lesson and sometimes life lessons are hard and hurt and our consequences affect other people not just ourselves.

Animal02

Banned
I did not attend Tech. Part of me is mad for not trying to get in, the other is glad I didn't flunk out either. I went to Georgia State and did get out with a Biology degree and Chem Degree. I didn't realize the value of work, school work that is, until I had almost graduated. My wife is the one who pushed me to work harder in college. It was something when growing up school was easy and when it became a challenge I didn't know how to study because I never had to before. Took 2 years for me to "get it." I just hope both these young men and all learn how to "get it." If everyone would understand that hard work pays off then we wouldn't have some of the problems we have today. Makes the people who do work hard look better because of the ones who don't. To me this isn't a football issue it is a life lesson and sometimes life lessons are hard and hurt and our consequences affect other people not just ourselves.

From my observation (and my own experience)...... is that your experience is quite common at Tech as well. I found that the people that struggled a bit more in HS and developed study "skills" and or patience. Ones that breezed through HS did not and many floundered at Tech. My roommate was the Valedictorian at his small HS in New England, he was the big fish in a small pond......he lasted 4 quarters at Tech. I too was a top ten in HS.....ended up on academic probation for a year (it takes a lot to make up for a 5 hr failure). The other thing I saw happen was the geek type that suddenly found a geek girlfriend and basically ****** himself out of school......giving up the books for the sex. :oops:

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
This needs its own thread. Makes you wonder if high achieving student athletes degrees are discounted by fortune 500 companies for crap like this......Its all about the money- institutional credibility has been discounted for revenue producing athletics. Seriously hope GT has not looked down this trail!
It's obvious that GT is not doing this. All you have to do is look at the "easy" majors at GT. The easiest major at GT is still harder (and more valuable) than 80% of the majors in Athens or Tuscaloosa or any other factory-city.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's obvious that GT is not doing this. All you have to do is look at the "easy" majors at GT. The easiest major at GT is still harder (and more valuable) than 80% of the majors in Athens or Tuscaloosa or any other factory-city.
The sad part is that many of our own "fans", and some of them alumns, don't even believe this.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just one more thing:

One of the problems with young people is that they have no idea how to approach the rest of their life. (I would guess most people here can remember that.) Consequently, they have a hard time seeing the value of an education of whatever kind. There's a lot of emphasis today on "practical skills" and "real world experience", but students are usually (and rightly) disappointed.

That's to be expected. As I tell my students, nobody in his right mind would hire someone with an undergrad degree to do anything that requires the abstract skills and techniques you learn in college. You only see the relevance in that when you are two steps up the ladder; suddenly, all that theoretical stuff and esoteric technique becomes absolutely essential for your career.

This is even more the case at a place that busts your privates to get through, like Tech. The frustrations this creates for students that often didn't have to do squat in high school and never learned to plan anything about their life past next week is a cross that often looks too heavy to bear to them. The result is occasional recruiting and retention trouble. But … The payoff is considerable and everyone who's been through it and seen what happens next is a living witness to the process. This isn't something to whine about; it's something to talk up.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For those who have access to AJC online, there is an article that Ken Sugiura posted this evening about JHD. I did not want to post it on the thread because I wasn't sure about copyright requirements. If Eric says it is okay then I will be glad to share the article.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For those who have access to AJC online, there is an article that Ken Sugiura posted this evening about JHD. I did not want to post it on the thread because I wasn't sure about copyright requirements. If Eric says it is okay then I will be glad to share the article.

Just finished reading it...and all I can say is WOW! Jabari and Synjyn's parents are amazing. Talk about tough love. They had some VERY good things to say about CPJ in that article, and are not laying blame on anyone but Jabari.

Well worth the read.

Since it's a pay-to-read article, I can't read it (nor can most, I would imagine). I hope you will share it with us

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will definitely share if Eric says it is ok.

You shouldn't share till it's free. Otherwise I would think you are infringing on their copyright (or whatever it's called on-line). On GTSports, Jim Hart provided the reason along these lines for why only certain things can be posted. I don't get the site but appreciate the synopsis.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Yes I am. Sophomore, grew up my whole life rooting for the yellow jackets and my parents and grandparents went here. In regards to what the other people said: yes the "woa is me attitude" applies to most people here. But as for myself I road trip with my brothers regularly to other colleges and frequent buckhead. The fact is that there is fun to be had in Atlanta. But the campus itself am be abismal to what other places are. And kids see that. No one wants to go to a school and be mentally assulted for 5plus years, work thier asses off to play a sport that the campus doesn't even support sadly, and have a dismal atmosphere at all times. Face facts, tech is a rough place to be.
I thought about transferring from Tech like every day through my sophomore year. It got better the last 3 years. Now, I love GT. I absolutely love it. No place like it on earth. Love the campus, love the sports programs, even love the shaft (literally and figuratively), love the conversations where you realize "there's no other place on earth where a conversation like this would be happening". There are some jerk professors, but there are also some awesome professors that will go out of their way to teach and help you. It's ridiculously hard, but there's just enough help to not leave you totally stranded but also to make you feel that way and work your butt off and learn to deal with that stressful, helpless feeling. And, then realizing you're around some of the best people in the world and then that feeling that you might actually be one of them, that fellowship between the ones that "made it out" with you - the fellowship of struggle ... that's real stuff right there. Much more real than just the fellowship of partying. To say that GT is a VERY cool place is an understatement. And, to know that you graduated from there ... there's no feeling like it.

I totally get where you're coming from, but I'll bet you $100 that you'll feel different not too long from now.

Animal02

Banned
I thought about transferring from Tech like every day through my sophomore year. It got better the last 3 years. Now, I love GT. I absolutely love it. No place like it on earth. Love the campus, love the sports programs, even love the shaft (literally and figuratively), love the conversations where you realize "there's no other place on earth where a conversation like this would be happening". There are some jerk professors, but there are also some awesome professors that will go out of their way to teach and help you. It's ridiculously hard, but there's just enough help to not leave you totally stranded but also to make you feel that way and work your butt off and learn to deal with that stressful, helpless feeling. And, then realizing you're around some of the best people in the world and then that feeling that you might actually be one of them, that fellowship between the ones that "made it out" with you - the fellowship of struggle ... that's real stuff right there. Much more real than just the fellowship of partying. To say that GT is a VERY cool place is an understatement. And, to know that you graduated from there ... there's no feeling like it.

I totally get where you're coming from, but I'll bet you $100 that you'll feel different not too long from now.

My wife has degrees from Michigan State and Ohio State.....we went to homecoming a few years back, she was amazed at the activities, displays, etc that seemed to involve the entire campus. Said she had never seen anything like it at OSU or MSU.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Tech is extremely difficult and depressing when you are there. I can remember the euphoria I would feel when my finals were over, no matter how I thought I did, and yes, most of the time, the finals would bring my class grade down, not UP. It is extremely important at GT for some reason to deflate GPA's, and I guess this is just part of what GT is all about. It is about survival, and if you get out of that place with a degree (thank the Lord I did), companies that hire you know they are getting a survivor who is determined and persistent and "battle-hardened". Heck, when I was there, we still had to get through "drown-proofing". From 1982-1985, we went to FB games to throw frisbees at the band members during halftime and just have a few minutes away from the pressure. Sad, but true.

I love GT, and I always will. Like anything that makes you better, you have a tremendous appreciation for it when you look back on it. But with all of that said, I still wish we had a few more majors (that we still wanted to be top notch programs) that we could use to attract FB and BB players. Don't get me wrong. I want them to be REAL degrees that can help these young men, but I really do believe a "Technical Education" degree or a " technical broadcasting" degree for example, would not hurt our reputation if they were serious programs.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
After reading the article, and having 5 kids of my own, I understand the ambivalence the Days are feeling with JHD's performance. It's our job to teach them and instruct them. However, at this point, it's up to JHD. He's of a majority now and the contract for his scholarship is between GTAA and JHD. His parents have no say. They can support and guide, but the decisions, choices and consequences are on him.

If that were me and my parents came out publicly like that, I'd tell them politely that they had no right to discuss my private business in a public forum and to keep the comments to themselves. He may be acting like a kid and need the kick in the pants that he'll likely get from this, but suggesting his scholarship be pulled is crossing a line they have no business crossing.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have learned more from my losses then have I ever learned from my gains. Days I urge you with the best of intentions to get your GT degree! You will never regret it!