Custis, Hunt-Days not eligible for ’14 football season

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Tech has been very rough for a long time and that's what I like most about it. Tech is not for prima donnas, no matter how bright or how athletically gifted they may be. Tech is for people who want to work, who like to work, and who can advance through work.

Back in the day (the 1950s) we were on the quarter system and required 230+ hours to graduate, depending on our major. Divide that by 12 quarters and you can get a picture of our work load. 7% of students graduated on time and 2/3rds flunked out or left. When I graduated, a 2.7 GPA put me in the top 10% of my class. Labs were numerous, we had Saturday classes, and lots of students attended during summer quarter just in order to catch up. Co-eds? We had about 50.

Our small campus was called the Asphalt Jungle for very good reason. Our only air conditioned building was the library. We had football success under Dodd and basketball was reasonably good, but it took Cremins several decades later to take basketball to the next level. All the other sports were just...meh. For nearby entertainment, there was Harry's and frat parties, but who had much spare time for entertainment anyway?

Did we fuss, moan, and groan? Of course. But would we have traded the Tech experience for an easy ride at a party school? Not a chance. Because after Tech, everything else is just a walk in the park. EVERYTHING!! Believe me, I know.

Tech separates the men from the boys. And those boys who don't have the mentality can just stay boys; but they won't be able to do it at Tech, no matter how bright or athletically gifted they are when they arrive on campus. Tech is tough, Tech draws out the best in people, and THAT is what makes me proud to be a Tech man. All the football, basketball, golf, tennis, baseball, etc. wins and championships...that is merely delicious icing that adds to the taste of the cake.

EOR

The only thing I will add/change is that Tech separates the WOMEN from the GIRLS. And those GIRLS who don't have the "WOMENtality" can just stay GIRLS; Tech is tough, Tech draws out the best in people and THAT is what makes me proud to be a Tech WOMAN.:)

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I was in a frat.....but also got involved in the DramaTech.......the ratio was much better there...the parties were better/for frequent....and we flew under the radar unlike the frats. I had a blast at Tech......yes I spent a lot of time in the studio (slept in my own bed 4 times my last quarter) but those are memories that last a lifetime. :)

Nice man, I was in DT as well and found the "social experience" or whatever you want to call it no different from where I did undergrad. Everything you say about it is still true. I had a great time while I was there. This is a huge generalization but I feel like so many complaints come from people in greek life who compare their scene to UGA or similar. Well yea. UGA is a top 5 party school. When you compare anything with the top .01% of something it's probably going to come up short.

But this is way off of the thread's topic so I'm gonna get off my soapbox.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm surrounded by Tennessee fans every day and I must say that we have a LONG way to go to reach this level.

I don't stalk other sites much, but from what I've seen of the UGA and Clemson and VT sites, we are pretty tame in our bitching about the program.

The average coaching tenure is like 4 years? That's because fans everywhere don't like losing some games. We all know that every team should win most of their games, we live in Lake Woebegone!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't stalk other sites much, but from what I've seen of the UGA and Clemson and VT sites, we are pretty tame in our bitching about the program.

The average coaching tenure is like 4 years? That's because fans everywhere don't like losing some games. We all know that every team should win most of their games, we live in Lake Woebegone!
The internet is just a pedestal for (expletive deleted)-ing so it is expected for those things. Some sites like this one do a good job keeping it under control.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, it's almost hard to believe I made it through GT with highest honors in 4.5 years (including co-op semesters and a major change after realizing that the jobs I could do as an EE sucked) while going out drinking almost every weekend.

You guys go to some other school, or just weren't so interested in having fun? It's not like I'm some kinda crazy genius and neither were my friends who were doing to same; usually to a higher degree, in fact.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
The only thing I will add/change is that Tech separates the WOMEN from the GIRLS. And those GIRLS who don't have the "WOMENtality" can just stay GIRLS; Tech is tough, Tech draws out the best in people and THAT is what makes me proud to be a Tech WOMAN.:)

Thanks for this most necessary addition. My daughter graduated from Tech, so I stand doubly corrected (and doubly proud). :)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I have talked to several players who didn't exactly have fun while at GT but stuck it out four years and got the degree...those 4 years lead to a great 40 years and setting yourself up for success in life..A lot of SA's don't realize the importance of a GT degree while at GT but once they get out they sure do....Michael Johnson even said the same last year...Look at the amount of GT players that come back to get the degree...Jarrett Jack, Michael Johnson, Joshua Nesbitt, Gary Guton, etc, etc.

Before I got married a couple of years ago I was close friends with a few players and use to go down and spend the weekend with them. Trust me if you want to have a good time then you can find one. If not on GT campus then very close by.

As far as the atmosphere...There is no place I would rather be than GT when we have games like Clemson 2011, VT 2009, Miami 2008, etc. I actually think we have a better atmosphere than some would like to give us credit for.

Overall GT is a great school to attend...especially for a SA...There really arent many schools where you can get the best of both worlds like GT. I am sure that @flea77 's son Will Bryan will love his time at Tech...He is the perfect fit as what we like to call a "GT Kid" .. he gets it on and off the field.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Tech has been very rough for a long time and that's what I like most about it. Tech is not for prima donnas, no matter how bright or how athletically gifted they may be. Tech is for people who want to work, who like to work, and who can advance through work.

Did we fuss, moan, and groan? Of course. But would we have traded the Tech experience for an easy ride at a party school? Not a chance. Because after Tech, everything else is just a walk in the park. EVERYTHING!! Believe me, I know.

Tech separates the men from the boys.

EOR

this is a great post. Thank you.I got out of Tech while working/paying my way through school. Even dropped out for awhile to save up so I could go back. NOTHING in my life was harder (mentally) than getting out of Tech. After school, work was stressful and difficult at times but not to the order of magnitude that Gt was back in the day. I can't imagine anything more difficult other than being in a combat situation and/or seeking special forces status in the military.

WOW !!! I THINK----I HOPE---Tech isn't like that. It's interesting that "Introduction to Dance" (or something like that) was mentioned, because that is one of the courses that was included in the official list of jock courses offered at Stanford, a list that was uncovered and disclosed by a student newspaper there. As soon as that newspaper uncovered the existence of that official list, it quickly disappeared, but you know it's still in existence. If a school with the standards that Stanford has has lists like that, you know that the real football factories also have them. When I was at Tech, there was one so-called "jock course", and nearly every student took it at some point because it was an easy A. That one was textiles engineering, which required a "paper" at the end of the quarter which didn't involve anything more than cutting out magazine articles about textiles and putting them in a binder. Since then, I know there has been the so-called "rocks for jocks" course in meteorology; are there any more? Overall, I just don't believe that Tech has ever been guilty of simply pushing kids through 4 years of non-work and giving them a degree, so the existence of a couple of easy courses doesn't really bother me. But if other schools have nothing at all other than easy courses, and at the end of 4 years a kid can graduate, then that needs to be stopped, and it needed to be stopped yesterday.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If I were the NCAA I would start looking at schools that have zero flunk outs. To me it is one thing to offer easier majors, it is completely different and fraudulent to force a student athlete into a major they did not choose.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Are there easy A courses? Maybe 3 that I knew of but as an athlete your "easy" way out is Management, HTS, or INTA degree.

But I do not appreciate the engineering department not being flexible with athletics. You would be amazed at how many guys who like to do that or CS, but is pretty much forced into management because of time conflicts

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I do not think there are many easy courses at Tech. I think Tech is one of the rare exceptions that does not have a worthless degree. I see this coming to a head soon. Colleges have been doing this forever, but I see this getting increased scrutiny as time goes on because it is very difficult to get a decent job without a good degree. The more people start to complain the more pressure will be put on the NCAA

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I've gone thru the 4 stages or whatever about this. I wish TC could have made it here but it takes more to be a Tech man than wanting to be one. I respect him for giving it his best shot and wish him nothing but the best going forward.

TC moved on. Our turn to do the same.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope TC makes it back to GT. I really do, but I don't expect it. I don't blame his home town school system either, even if it is in disarray. You can get a good education in pretty much any system. You just need to want it and work for it from the get go. Obviously he didn't do that. My prayer is that he will learn from his current situation and dedicate himself academically, like he never has before, in order to reach his God given potential, whatever that may be. If it brings him back to GT I will be very proud of him.

As far as TECH is concerned, I am glad that it was tough for me. Being an ME major and a varsity athlete was not easy, but it helped build character. My only gripe has nothing to do with courses available or the challenging nature of the fields of study, but rather the attitudes of some of the professors. They could have cared less that I was going to be gone from class for a week playing ball. In fact, I would say some of them went out of their way to make it extra difficult for jocks who were missing classes. The make up tests were always worse than the ones the rest of the class took in my absence. I can remember seething after looking at my classmate's test and then looking at mine after we got them back. What can you do? This was a long time ago and there weren't that many jocks in the ME program so most of the profs probably just viewed me as a nuisance. Maybe things have changed since I was there. Other than that, I would say TECH was a blast. We worked hard and played hard too. There were some pretty wild parties in my day. I am talking crazy wild. So I don't buy the dead campus vibe some people are throwing out there.

70Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan

Animal02

Banned

You should try living in U of Mich country....talk about whiners ;)

Animal02

Banned
Man, it's almost hard to believe I made it through GT with highest honors in 4.5 years (including co-op semesters and a major change after realizing that the jobs I could do as an EE sucked) while going out drinking almost every weekend.

You guys go to some other school, or just weren't so interested in having fun? It's not like I'm some kinda crazy genius and neither were my friends who were doing to same; usually to a higher degree, in fact.

I escaped Tech with a 2.1.....and that was pulling it up for 2 years.
Get my second degree from a Jesuit University up north here......It was a joke compared to what I went through (and learned) at Tech. When I wear a Tech shirt when traveling around the world...it gets recognized, not so much with my other alma mater (or my wife's Big Ten alma maters)

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope TC makes it back to GT. I really do, but I don't expect it. I don't blame his home town school system either, even if it is in disarray. You can get a good education in pretty much any system. You just need to want it and work for it from the get go. Obviously he didn't do that. My prayer is that he will learn from his current situation and dedicate himself academically, like he never has before, in order to reach his God given potential, whatever that may be. If it brings him back to GT I will be very proud of him.

As far as TECH is concerned, I am glad that it was tough for me. Being an ME major and a varsity athlete was not easy, but it helped build character. My only gripe has nothing to do with courses available or the challenging nature of the fields of study, but rather the attitudes of some of the professors. They could have cared less that I was going to be gone from class for a week playing ball. In fact, I would say some of them went out of their way to make it extra difficult for jocks who were missing classes. The make up tests were always worse than the ones the rest of the class took in my absence. I can remember seething after looking at my classmate's test and then looking at mine after we got them back. What can you do? This was a long time ago and there weren't that many jocks in the ME program so most of the profs probably just viewed me as a nuisance. Maybe things have changed since I was there. Other than that, I would say TECH was a blast. We worked hard and played hard too. There were some pretty wild parties in my day. I am talking crazy wild. So I don't buy the dead campus vibe some people are throwing out there.
Don't worry, they like to shaft anyone who takes the test late. Not just athletes. When you get out of the herd...