Custis, Hunt-Days not eligible for ’14 football season

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
This is tough, a lot of different blows at one time to the program. I hope we can get it together before fall, otherwise this will be Pauls last season.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if he returned. It is very difficult to get readmitted to tech. Maybe SAs are different.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
This is really upsetting. It just leads me to believe that recruiting is going to get tougher and tougher as lower education moved further and further away from critical thinking to standardized and subsidized education. Common core is beginning to completely eliminate the engineering track from schools. My wife told me the other day that calculus is only offered to very limited number of students at the school she teaches at and there was talk about dropping it all together. It's a very sickening thought that our society would rather have people feel good about themselves then try to stand out and excel... This wasn't really a football rant but it's just been heavy on my mind as of late. I will always stand behind my education and push my kids to do the same.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
High school is a joke these days especially in the southeast. I went to school in north alabama which is supposed to be the smartest area thanks to Huntsville, but I skipped class, and overall put in almost zero effort and came out of high school with a 3.8 GPA. I like to think I'm fairly bright, but I wasn't prepared at all for college, especially when I tried to take physics and calculus my very first semester, and so now I'm a senior at UA in huntsville and I have a 2.8 GPA because I had no study skills and had gotten by without doing anything in school, and its no where close to the level of GT. These high profile football players do the same thing and then they go to a school like GT and its only resonable to think that they're going to have trouble.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Then why have we NEVER had a successive string of 4-star or equivalent recruits, and ZERO 5-star recruits.
Did you ever go to Georgia tech? It's ****ing awful and the social scene is nothing compared to other schools. Kids don't come to Tech because it's miserable place to be at, it doesn't matter what coach you have recruiting for you. Tech is still going to be, in large, a miserable place and kids will realize that and not want to come here. You can't reasonably Expect 5 stars or even lots of 4 stars to come here, If you do then you need a reality check.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I would be surprised if he returned. It is very difficult to get readmitted to tech. Maybe SAs are different.

I keep hearing this. I flunked out my freshman year because I came in unprepared. Didn't know how to study. I went to Truett-McConnell of all places for 5 quarters and got an Associates degree. Got back into Tech with no problem. Not the most rigorous academic environment at TMC.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing this. I flunked out my freshman year because I came in unprepared. Didn't know how to study. I went to Truett-McConnell of all places for 5 quarters and got an Associates degree. Got back into Tech with no problem. Not the most rigorous academic environment at TMC.

I did not explain what I meant very well. Travis has been in school for a year total. If the requirements for SAs is the same as other students he will need to complete about two years of coursework to be eligible to transfer back. If he has to take remedial classes, those will not count. By the time he could transfer back he would not have but a year of eligibility left.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you ever go to Georgia tech? It's ******* awful and the social scene is nothing compared to other schools. Kids don't come to Tech because it's miserable place to be at, it doesn't matter what coach you have recruiting for you. Tech is still going to be, in large, a miserable place and kids will realize that and not want to come here. You can't reasonably Expect 5 stars or even lots of 4 stars to come here, If you do then you need a reality check.
Are you still a Tech student?

Did you ever go to Georgia tech? It's ******* awful and the social scene is nothing compared to other schools. Kids don't come to Tech because it's miserable place to be at, it doesn't matter what coach you have recruiting for you. Tech is still going to be, in large, a miserable place and kids will realize that and not want to come here. You can't reasonably Expect 5 stars or even lots of 4 stars to come here, If you do then you need a reality check.

The social scene at Tech may not be like other colleges, and that is definitely a negative recruiting ploy, but the social scene at Tech is probably more like that in the "real world" than what exists at other colleges. I don't regret my days at Tech in the least.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

As someone who went to another school for 5 years before going to Tech, and only left two years ago, the social argument is tired and overblown. Is it different? Yea of course. But miserable place to be at? Give me a break. Maybe if the students stopped feeling so sorry for themselves and whining about being at such a "miserable" place, they'd actually do something to have some fun. The woe is me attitude in his regard was one of the most annoying things about the entire school.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The social scene at Tech may not be like other colleges, and that is definitely a negative recruiting ploy, but the social scene at Tech is probably more like that in the "real world" than what exists at other colleges. I don't regret my days at Tech in the least.

I graduated Tech in 67 and hated it. But I am glad I went because now I am comfortably retired and I did very well in the real world because of Tech degree. I also enjoyed the Bobby Dodd years. My daughter also graduated Tech in 93 and she loved it. She experienced the National Title. She is also doing very well with her Tech degree. Each person is different when it comes to the Tech experience.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Are we done feeling sorry for ourselves?

Look, we are Georgia Tech. This is what happens when you are a difficult school with real standards. Would you rather we had issues like UNC with fake classes etc keeping kids eligible? I am disappointed with both of these kids. They are responsible. They have let their entire team down.

Whoever said "next man up" is right. It is as simple as that. I am not going to pretend that these developments don't hurt the depth in the program. They will have a real impact. However, I am in no way a victim of anything. GT football will still be fun to watch and I have season tickets for the first time in my life! I feel like Will Farrell going back to school.

For those of you laying responsibility at CPJ's feet, I disagree wholeheartedly. He is presiding over the possibly the best academic period in modern GT football history. About the only blame I could possibly cast his direction is failing to identify TC'c academic limitations during the recruiting process. Maybe the kid just wasn't a fit with the books and we failed to recognize it. Maybe we should have brought in a different BB recruit instead.

Well, this is disappointing, rather like the sudden loss of so many OLs last year. But …

Custis never played a down for Tech. As it sits, we don't know if he would have been an instant hit or Hobbie Holiday the second. His leaving – and I agree that he probably won't come back – simply means that Leggett gets a new position (the one he should have been groomed for anyhow, imho) and Connors/Wilson get a few more snaps. Too bad, but we'll never know what we missed. I predict he'll never start for any team now; generally when you get in this sort of trouble and transfer you get lost in the shuffle. Perhaps this will be brought up to him and he'll come back.

With Hunt-Days, it's a loss, unless Harrell can come back. Personally, I never thought H-D would start at DE in the long run; I thought he'd end up back at LB next year. If Harrell recovers enough to play, I wouldn't be surprised to see another experiment next fall: Nealy to DE, if it turns out to be necessary. If not, we'll have depth problems unless Whitehead or Freeman turn out to be the players we anticipate. As for all this being H-D's fault: let's hold off on that. I nearly flunked out in my sophomore year in college because of a combination of the slump and a series of tough classes. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the young man simply found he'd bitten off more then he could chew. It happens and it isn't the end of the world for either him or his Tech football career.

Finally, I just finished watching the HBO Sports segment on the way the factories are playing fast and loose with the NCAA graduation requirements. My son insisted. Finding that Memphis let an illiterate into college to play football (I might add that none of the young men in the segment appeared stupid; just poorly educated) and that UNC has mercilessly sacrificed half or better of their "student/athletes" to courses of "study" that have prepared them for … well, nothing … was eyeopening. That Tech at least tries to prepare its players for a decent life after college is something we need to be proud of. I'd feel like a hypocrite and a fraud if I was cheering for the teams at UNC. And no wonder. I would be a hypocrite and a fraud.

(Btw, both of the former UNC athletes took Swahili as their foreign language. Anyone who know anything about that part of the world knows that Swahili is hellishly difficult for foreigners to learn, being an artificial lingua franca made up of Bantu languages and Arabic. No wonder neither of them could recall a single word of the language!)

all the great examples you provide and some still blame cpj? count me as one person who has been HARPING on the success in the classroom cpj has brought to gt.

this is not an easy problem to fix. ask unc or uga etc. yet many expect cpj to not only graduate all his players but they expect him to win championships.

once we get the right coaches in place to help make our sa's successsful more of the time...our winning will increase.

I WAS NEVER PROUDER TO BE A YELLOW JACKET THAN THE DAY THAT WE GRADUATED OUR ENTIRE 08 RECRUITING CLASS. I WAS SO PROUD I SHARED THE TRIUMPH WITH MY FB FRIENDS.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Fwiw, I can almost guarantee Custis isn't coming back. I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

I graduated Tech in 67 and hated it. But I am glad I went because now I am comfortably retired and I did very well in the real world because of Tech degree. I also enjoyed the Bobby Dodd years. My daughter also graduated Tech in 93 and she loved it. She experienced the National Title. She is also doing very well with her Tech degree. Each person is different when it comes to the Tech experience.

Looks like you're a year younger than me, or maybe the same age, depending on how many years you were there (and that's not a putdown). I am also comfortably retired.

I never heard this about Custis. He had the opportunity to leave last year and stuck with GT. Now I heard alot of this with Vad...

I never heard that before either. If Custis does come back, it will probably be because of the efforts of the GMC coach (Bert Hall). He's a Georgia grad, but he apparently has made some good contacts at Tech. Hall is good friends with my nephew, and it would be good if he could get any insight from him about the situation.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Hope we can send Eric some ketchup or something to eat that crow... but doubt if that's going to be what happens. It's a flippin shame Custis has to go to GMC.

Animal02

Banned
The first two years while I was at Tech were the easiest. Once you got to your upper level major classes and classes like thermodynamics and differential equations it was much harder. Now when I went to law school the first two years were easier than the last year. But at Tech the last two years were much harder than the first two.

Not in the College of Architecture. We started with 500ish in the class. Less than 100 were left after 2 years....and about 50 of us eventually escaped. First and 2nd year had so many "roadblock" pre-reqs. .....Could not take 2nd year studio without passing 2nd qtr. calc. etc.

Last two (and one half) years were a lot easier......