Custis, Hunt-Days not eligible for ’14 football season

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This is a 7 win team best. I was hoping Custis would be the jolt that the team needed at Bback that could win us 1 extra game. With the pass rush already being a concern and Bback back to being well mediocre I don't see this team being good. 7 wins and with a struggle.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
There's some hope with Custis:
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...lly-ineligible/nfsZ5/#4d3db6b9.3534471.735362

Custis will transfer to Georgia Military College, a junior college, for the 2014-15 academic year and will play football. GMC coach Bert Williams said that Custis’ intent is to return to Tech, which could happen by the end of the 2015 spring semester.

“We’ve got some things we’ve got to get squared away, obviously, before he can get back up there, and we have had pretty good success getting that done,” Williams said.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
It's clear the football program has been on a long and steady decline since the unofficial ACC Championship. My main regret is that the descent has never been rapid enough to prompt action. It's like the frog that immediately jumps out of the pot of hot water it is dropped into, but which will allow itself to boil to death if put in a lukewarm pot being slowly heated. Tech is further frozen into inaction by a risk-averse fanbase that resists change and actively discourages even the mildest of criticism.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This is a 7 win team best. I was hoping Custis would be the jolt that the team needed at Bback that could win us 1 extra game. With the pass rush already being a concern and Bback back to being well mediocre I don't see this team being good. 7 wins and with a struggle.

How many games did you think we'd win before this news? I think you're overestimating Custis' impact for the upcoming season.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Flunkgate did not result in violations. People forget the violations were due to playing inelligible players during the oleary years due to gt bad admins claiming they were eligible. The timing was close to each other so people associate them.

We were put on probation under chan due to the prior administrations error. Chans players failed out in 2003. Probation started in 03 as well i think due to players playing from 1998-1999
You are right sir!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
That's correct.

Flunkgate and the probation were 2 different things.

Flunkgate was due to, literally, Gailey treating the players like adults. He trusted they were going to class, study halls, and that the academic support staff were doing their jobs. They weren't.

The probation happened because Frank Roper, the academic supervisor of eligibility, was about to retire, was old and ornery and thought he knew everything (I know...a Georgia Tech man thinking he knows everything...never happens, right?). He quit going to the annual NCAA meetings and missed the requirement that changed where they said that athletes now had to be eligible using the stricter of your school's requirements or the NCAA requirements. Tech's are more stringent than the NCAA's and while our athletes were eligible by NCAA standards, they weren't by Tech's standards.

Someone finally caught it and Tech self-reported to the NCAA but was penalized.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE HERE, GENTLEMEN: In both cases, the people who were appointed as academic support staff BY THE HILL were either the main culprit or at least a contributing factor in each of those 2 problems.
Also; Brainless told Chan not to worry with the academics; because the support staff would be in charge!!!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I'd have to go look it up but I think the NCAA requirements are 2.0 or below but the requirements for Tech are a 2.2. If this is the case, he might have made C's in all his classes but would therefore still be ineligible because he has to remain eligible by Tech standards, since they're more stringent than the NCAA's.
That is correct!

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
From my point of view, it would make sense if Custis came back after a year at GMC. After you build a relationship and repitoire with your teammates, I imagine it would be hard to leave them even when something as screwy as this happens. Let's hope he is still considering Tech after this. Good news is it sounds like the coach at GMC does not have any bias against Tech, like many coaches around this state.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
after reading this whole thread, I am puzzled...I do not know the ol' "someone just shat in my mailbox feeling" because no one has, in fact, ever shat in my mailbox. the physics involved in doing so would be rather mind boggling and the athletic prowess of someone capable of doing so would make him or her worthy of a scholarship and a suitable replacement for Custis at B-back. Of course, my mailbox is mounted on a post at USPS regulation height so I am left with but 2 questions for you, sir;

A) how is your mailbox mounted and B) has anyone actually ever really shat in it?

to answer your question..... didnt a uga profersor get arrested for shatting in somebody's mailbox a few years ago? if they would shat in their own classrooms and the library i dont see a mail box presenting much of a problem

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I never like to see our guys get suspended or lose eligibilty. That said, the JHD issue is what it is.

The Custis issue seems different. Don't know what's going on there. Losing him as an asset to the team is a bit disappointing due to his potential. But it's not an earth shattering loss. Clearing house issue seemed to be a bit of a unfair break for the guy last year. I hope something similar has not happened again this year. Not making grades is one thing. It happens. Getting the shaft over some technicality is a lot harder to swallow. Regardless, I wish this kid the best going forward whether he plays for us eventually or not.

Wish some here would find a chill pill but many hate CPJ and will glom on to any bad news to start the "fire his ***" comments. That will remain the case till he is gone or we have a 10-12 win season.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Griffin possibly did, since he was the academics liaison. But nothing has been said to confirm that.

According to Kelly Quinlan, the Griffin & Walkosky leavings were linked but he also said that there was nothing NCAA related to it. So I don't think the Griffin thing is related to the academics issues of Custis & Hunt-Days.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So much rush to judgement and and damning criticism all based on what... wild speculation, since none of us know the true cause of all this. LOL. You guys crack me up. Boomer was right on the money with his comments.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Although I will miss a good athlete like JHD, he was not going to make or break 2014 and Freeman might have started over him.

We were all were hoping Custis was special, and he most likely would have shined brighter in 2015 than 2014 (if he was the real deal we all hoped). This hurts a lot in depth.

I still think the O will hinge on the OL... OT and the D on the DL... DE. These are the spots of most concern.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd have to go look it up but I think the NCAA requirements are 2.0 or below but the requirements for Tech are a 2.2. If this is the case, he might have made C's in all his classes but would therefore still be ineligible because he has to remain eligible by Tech standards, since they're more stringent than the NCAA's.

Does Tech apply that 2.2 rule to ALL students in school-related extracurricular activities( sports, student government, etc.) or just just to student athletes? If not, that is garbage, unless the athlete agrees to the 2.2 gpa requirement when he signs his loi or by receiving a scholarship from the institute.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Custis will always struggle at Tech so I hope he finds someplace where he can achieve more than just lugging a football. He has some talent but probably will not be the next Walter Payton. It seems like we have been trying to put a square peg in a round hole here. I am suprised with JHD but making the grades is part of the overall responsibility of being a football player at Georgia Tech. I hope he can get it together and make it back but it's on him to do that. Life will go on with or without these two so it is the next man up and we look for two more that can cut the mustard.

Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The crazy thing about JHD is if you are/were a student at GT, you know the first 2 years are the hardest. If you can get through those two years, it's downhill from there (well, the hill isn't as steep...it is GT afterall).

JHD was redshirted and heading into his 4th academic year. He knew what needed to be done, and he got past the hardest part of his time at GT. Don't want to criticize him because I'm not in his shoes so I don't know the whole story, but I am disappointed in him as an upperclassman.