Custis, Hunt-Days not eligible for ’14 football season

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Because I was curious, I tried looking up what the student athletes need to accomplish academically to stay eligible.

From the NCAA website: http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-academics

In Division I, student-athletes must complete 40 percent of the coursework required for a degree by the end of their second year. They must complete 60 percent by the end of their third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year. Student-athletes are allowed five years to graduate while receiving athletically related financial aid. All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation.

From the Georgia Tech website: http://www.catalog.gatech.edu/rules/6c.php

The minimum satisfactory academic average is 1.70 for freshmen and joint-enrolled high school students; 1.80 for sophomores; 1.95 for juniors; 2.00 for seniors and special undergraduates; 2.70 for master's and special graduate students; and 3.00 for doctoral students.

So someone could pass all their classes but still be ineligible if their GPA is too low.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Because I was curious, I tried looking up what the student athletes need to accomplish academically to stay eligible.

From the NCAA website: http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-academics

From the Georgia Tech website: http://www.catalog.gatech.edu/rules/6c.php

So someone could pass all their classes but still be ineligible if their GPA is too low.

If you pass them all with a C you will not have a GPA that is too low. Custis is done at GT. A D is not really a passing grade, although it is not a failing one either.

I do get the feeling the poor guy got the shaft from the start. I feel bad for him, but I hope he does well. Keep in mind that if the school he came from lost it's accreditation he may not have been getting the proper education from there. That is neither his or GTs fault.

GT just cannot catch a break.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
@IronJacket7 you see what happens when you start threads because your bored in the offseason!!!

Anyways this sucks a lot. Now that that's out of the way, I think Leggett can make a good BB too.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just talked to someone in the Custis family...to make issues worse he said Custis passed ALL of his classes this Springs...his grades are fine.

Looks like this has something to do with the same issue as last time...kid can't catch a break.

That's relatively good news. The NCAA Clearinghouse needs to get their act together, because that appears to be where the problem might be. However if that was the case, how'd he to get into GT this spring semester ?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Losing Custis and JHD gives me that "someone just shat in my mailbox feeling"

Unfortunately this is not the first time I had this feeling as a GT fan.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just catching up on all the news today. Wow. As to JHD I hate to say it but this falls squarely on his shoulders, he's been in the program and the school too long to NOT know what he has to do as a SA. I hate it for him and the team but this falls on him and him alone.

As to Custis, too many unanswered questions, especially if he passed all his courses as Eric states. NCAA Clearinghouse issues at this stage? If that is the case I cannot fathom any rational reason for this to happen.

As others have said, next player up and lets go forward!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Losing Custis and JHD gives me that "someone just shat in my mailbox feeling"

Unfortunately this is not the first time I had this feeling as a GT fan.

after reading this whole thread, I am puzzled...I do not know the ol' "someone just shat in my mailbox feeling" because no one has, in fact, ever shat in my mailbox. the physics involved in doing so would be rather mind boggling and the athletic prowess of someone capable of doing so would make him or her worthy of a scholarship and a suitable replacement for Custis at B-back. Of course, my mailbox is mounted on a post at USPS regulation height so I am left with but 2 questions for you, sir;

A) how is your mailbox mounted and B) has anyone actually ever really shat in it?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
after reading this whole thread, I am puzzled...I do not know the ol' "someone just shat in my mailbox feeling" because no one has, in fact, ever shat in my mailbox. the physics involved in doing so would be rather mind boggling and the athletic prowess of someone capable of doing so would make him or her worthy of a scholarship and a suitable replacement for Custis at B-back. Of course, my mailbox is mounted on a post at USPS regulation height so I am left with but 2 questions for you, sir;

A) how is your mailbox mounted and B) has anyone actually ever really shat in it?

A. Regulation height

B. Well, that is a long story going all the way back to high school. Yes, but it was in retaliation for an ill conceived stunt involving an opossum (they are mean when put in a book bag).... The feat is less phenomenal when performed from the bed of a pickup truck. This was back in the day when riding in the back of a truck was legal and somewhat normal.

On another note are there any Freshmen that may change positions to BB to get early playing time?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey y'all. I've been off line since around lunchtime. What'd I miss?

Judging from the title of this thread, these must be two guys y'all expect to breakout this season. Welp, no need to read through the remaining 6 pages. Carry on ... :headphone:

Animal02

Banned
It's a state of the program problem for me and yes, that's on CPJ. Again, I'm fully aware that this one thing shouldn't take me over the edge but it did. I'm just to the point, rational or not, where I don't believe in CPJ anymore. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do. I'll gladly eat crow.

State of the program? The football team is in the top 10 nationally for academic progress. I really am tired is the "sky is falling" every time something happens. Coaches leave, kids quit, fail out etc. Life goes on and so will Tech football. IMO, having kids graduate and being competitive on the field (any we were in almost every game we played last year) is more important than playing for the NC every other year.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
what in theeee hell?

i turn my back for one dag gummed second and we lose two fb coaches , tw0 of our best athletes on the team and a basketball player all in the space of less than a week.

michelle bachman was right. god is punishing our country with 911, bengazi and now this. sheeeeeesh

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
How much is the buy out of Johnson's contract after this year? We have an easy schedule, but if it keeps going like this, we won't have a coaching staff or a team!