Custis, Hunt-Days not eligible for ’14 football season

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a state of the program problem for me and yes, that's on CPJ. Again, I'm fully aware that this one thing shouldn't take me over the edge but it did. I'm just to the point, rational or not, where I don't believe in CPJ anymore. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do. I'll gladly eat crow.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
This. Everyone was so excited about Custis, but we're still talking about a back up. We all knew Laskey was going to be the main man this year unless Custis came out playing with his hair on fire. Does this hurt depth for next year and beyond? Absolutely. But now we can sell the farm to a stud running back recruit.
^^^this is on point. Laskey in my opinion has a great chance to go for 1,000 yards but the Lands-Davis kid is a stud as well

Squints

Helluva Engineer
It's a state of the program problem for me and yes, that's on CPJ. Again, I'm fully aware that this one thing shouldn't take me over the edge but it did. I'm just to the point, rational or not, where I don't believe in CPJ anymore. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do. I'll gladly eat crow.

Maybe you should let something, you know, in his control be the straw.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Hmm. Something is funny.

Whatever his issues, why can't he clear them up and start the next semester. Why didn't he do it over last fall? There has been more than enough time to get it past the NCAA or the Hill or whatever he needed to do.

Something just isn't adding up.

Custis did what he was instructed to during the Fall...I have no idea what is going with but this is crazy. Never seen anything like this...of course it happens to us and with someone of his caliber!

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Just talked to someone in the Custis family...to make issues worse he said Custis passed ALL of his classes this Springs...his grades are fine.

Looks like this has something to do with the same issue as last time...kid can't catch a break.

word on the street is neither one of these guys passed the NCAA required 9 hours this semester. TC was taking remedial classes also so nothing that difficult. It doesn't get any easier than that at GT folks. I've always thought we'd be lucky if TC could stay eligible for 2 years. Kind of makes you wonder wth is going on in the Clayton county school system. This really sucks for both these guys!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
This. Everyone was so excited about Custis, but we're still talking about a back up. We all knew Laskey was going to be the main man this year unless Custis came out playing with his hair on fire. Does this hurt depth for next year and beyond? Absolutely. But now we can sell the farm to a stud running back recruit.

That's the problem...we did sell the farm to a top tier recruit and we did get him in Custis...now we've lost him. It isn't often we land a stud like Custis which is why this stings.

Just talked to someone in the Custis family...to make issues worse he said Custis passed ALL of his classes this Springs...his grades are fine.

Looks like this has something to do with the same issue as last time...kid can't catch a break.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at all. Are you implying he has never been eligible due to stuff from Lovejoy?

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I guess there's no chance that someone looks again and he's actually okay and we move forward with him?

This is just so crazy.

It's not the end of the world, obviously, but the consensus from the staff was that he was a very good player with a high upside and he was assured of good minutes this fall. We CAN go after another big-time recruit but that's the thing - it's hard to land those and most teams don't.

Hmmmm. Sounds like he got some bad advising. Without damaging any relationships, Eric, can yo tell us if this had anything to do with Matt Griffin?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
word on the street is neither one of these guys passed the NCAA required 9 hours this semester. TC was taking remedial classes also so nothing that difficult. It doesn't get any easier than that at GT folks. I've always thought we'd be lucky if TC could stay eligible for 2 years. Kind of makes you wonder wth is going on in the Clayton county school system. This really sucks for both these guys!

I know JHD didn't and that is all on him.

But the Custis family who has always been honest with me said he passed this semester...no way to 100% know the truth.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Ya
That's the problem...we did sell the farm to a top tier recruit and we did get him in Custis...now we've lost him. It isn't often we land a stud like Custis which is why this stings.
it stings but we are most likely going to get Lands-Davis another stud

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow

Damn it, I'm never one for conspiracy theories, but jeez sure does sound like the homers in the system are getting after arguably one of the most important recruits to this offense in a while...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Custis did what he was instructed to during the Fall...I have no idea what is going with but this is crazy. Never seen anything like this...of course it happens to us and with someone of his caliber!

This is definitely crazy. GT has a lot of resources, I just find it hard to believe whatever the issues were weren't definitively cleared up...twice.

I"m not blaming anybody, but every party knew what needed to be done. Between last summer, fall of 2013, and this spring...it's crazy to think they couldn't clear up the issue. I have NEVER heard of something in HS trailing a kid this long.

Yikes...like you said, of course it happens to us!

And, because we put all of our chips on Custis, we have not recruited BB's. But that is the story of just about every position, i.e. very little quality depth.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Is Lands-Davis Custis level good?
And even if he were, you can't be sure you've got anyone until they're on campu....until they're on the f...until they graduate, I guess

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Director of Player Personnel job description, when Liam Klein, included:
directing Tech's coaching clinics, camps and other events, along with administering on-campus recruiting efforts and serving as the team's academic liaison
from an old rumble seat article

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I am disappointed with Hunt-Days the most. He is such a good guy and talented. I wish he would of asked big bro for help or actually attend the classes. Smh