'Cuse fans will never get over Kenny Anderson

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My brother is one of those fans. He sent me the thread below.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Best player I have ever watched since becoming a fan in 85 when I was 8. I’m sure a lot will say Price and I completely agree with that too but from what I can vividly remember, it’s Kenny hands down! He’s really the reason im a GT fan to this day and why I wore 12 through middle school, HS and college.
Plus being a lefty, it felt right.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
He is the beat pg to play in the Acc. I will fight those that think it was Ford or Hurley.
I’m sorry but that’s just a ridiculous statement as-is. Even if you actually believe that, to insinuate it’s not that close is disingenuous.

Kenny Anderson played two years in the ACC and didn’t win ACC PoY either year. If you want to make an argument that Anderson > Hurley and Ford based on pure talent, sure. But then I’m not sure how you can dismiss those who say CP3 and/or Jay Williams’ talent >= Anderson’s talent. Anderson more talented than one of the top 5 PGs of all time? No. Anderson a better ACC player than Bobby Hurley or Jay Williams? No.

I get we’re on a GT basketball board, but let’s not get carried away.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’m sorry but that’s just a ridiculous statement as-is. Even if you actually believe that, to insinuate it’s not that close is disingenuous.

Kenny Anderson played two years in the ACC and didn’t win ACC PoY either year. If you want to make an argument that Anderson > Hurley and Ford based on pure talent, sure. But then I’m not sure how you can dismiss those who say CP3 and/or Jay Williams’ talent >= Anderson’s talent. Anderson more talented than one of the top 5 PGs of all time? No. Anderson a better ACC player than Bobby Hurley or Jay Williams? No.

Top 5 PGs all time? Please don't tell me you're referring to chris paul and are about to post about his NBA success when talking about playing in college? In college Paul has leg to stand on compared to Anderson or really Willams/Ford/Hurley. He adapted better to the NBA game and if we're talking NBA point guards then sure. He was better. But we're talking ACC. And as ACC players he wasn't better.

Jay Williams was a great college player who scored similar to Anderson but Anderson was the better passer and I'd argue a marginally better scorer. He was an extremely good player. He just wasn't quite Kenny Anderson good.

As far as Hurley goes you have to be kidding with the him being a better ACC player than Kenny. They came in during the same class. In 1990 one was first team all ACC and ACC rookie of the year. The other wasn't on any all conference team. Guess which. In 1991 one was 1st team all conference and a consensus all American and the other was third team. Hurley and Anderson were similar in terms of passing, but Kenny was much better scoring. Hurley was really good for 4 years. But he wasn't ever Kenny good and that doesn't change just because Kenny only stayed 2 years.

Ford has the best argument, and the differences in rules make it hard to compare. No 3 point line but especially the lack of a shot clock being the biggest two. The three point line would have helped him, but IMO the bigger issue was the no shot clock. It made it so that there was no real pressure on he PG to actually create things when the team was ahead. To me that takes away a good bit from him. Still and all time great, but a point guard that doesn't have to deal with the pressures of creating things when the shot clock runs low?

Not sure what the point about winning the ACC PoY was about. Hurley never did. Nor Williams. Ford did only as a senior I believe. I'm almost certainly willing to bet had Anderson stayed four years he would have also won a PoY but even without it him not winning it doesn't make Tre Jones a better PG just because he did.

Some point guards had better careers than Kenny because they stayed longer. But that doesn't mean they were better players.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Who was 1st team All-ACC the two years that Anderson and Hurley were both in the conference?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I won't get into a historical debate about Kenny Anderson, as it's subjective. However, people don't give him enough credit for how tough he was...especially his sophomore season after 2 of his Lethal Weapon running mates moved on. I remember as a kid how the opposing team's players openly tried to take him out every game. If Kenny drove to the basket, he was getting fouled. HARD. Kenny would just get back up and keep on being Kenny...which is to say, a BAMF.

I was really spoiled to start my GT basketball fandom. Lethal Weapon 3 >> Marbury + Barry >> James Forrest + Travis Best >> Harpring.

NCAA tourneys, and top recruiting classes seemed like a GT right during that time.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I have no problem with his statement about Kenny. Watching from court side I never in my life saw a faster second step for a guard and that includes watching a few pro teams. TV doesn’t capture it. I actually heard fans ooh and ahh at how fast he could break to the basket. Hurley would practically break an ankle if he had to guard him all game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I won't get into a historical debate about Kenny Anderson, as it's subjective. However, people don't give him enough credit for how tough he was...especially his sophomore season after 2 of his Lethal Weapon running mates moved on. I remember as a kid how the opposing team's players openly tried to take him out every game. If Kenny drove to the basket, he was getting fouled. HARD. Kenny would just get back up and keep on being Kenny...which is to say, a BAMF.

I was really spoiled to start my GT basketball fandom. Lethal Weapon 3 >> Marbury + Barry >> James Forrest + Travis Best >> Harpring.

NCAA tourneys, and top recruiting classes seemed like a GT right during that time.

'Member the days when 'Mr. Basketball for the state of Georgia' coming to GT was just a formality?

We can get back to that ..... somehow.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Arguably, the greatest freshman point guard ever.

Yep, guy was a monster.

Perhaps his greatest accomplishment is motivating a young kg01 to becoming a GT fan and eventual grad. You all owe a debt or gratitude to KA.

amy poehler smiling GIF

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
KA was fun to watch. Biggest argument against some of the hyperbole is his record in ACC (8-6 and 6-8, I believe) and his head to head record against Duke and UnC. (1-4 against Hurley / Duke and 2-3 against King Rice / UNC)

Best ACC PG I saw play live were John Lucas and Phil Ford. Best ACC player I ever saw live was David Thompson.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Top 5 PGs all time? Please don't tell me you're referring to chris paul and are about to post about his NBA success when talking about playing in college? In college Paul has leg to stand on compared to Anderson or really Willams/Ford/Hurley. He adapted better to the NBA game and if we're talking NBA point guards then sure. He was better. But we're talking ACC. And as ACC players he wasn't better.

Jay Williams was a great college player who scored similar to Anderson but Anderson was the better passer and I'd argue a marginally better scorer. He was an extremely good player. He just wasn't quite Kenny Anderson good.

As far as Hurley goes you have to be kidding with the him being a better ACC player than Kenny. They came in during the same class. In 1990 one was first team all ACC and ACC rookie of the year. The other wasn't on any all conference team. Guess which. In 1991 one was 1st team all conference and a consensus all American and the other was third team. Hurley and Anderson were similar in terms of passing, but Kenny was much better scoring. Hurley was really good for 4 years. But he wasn't ever Kenny good and that doesn't change just because Kenny only stayed 2 years.

Ford has the best argument, and the differences in rules make it hard to compare. No 3 point line but especially the lack of a shot clock being the biggest two. The three point line would have helped him, but IMO the bigger issue was the no shot clock. It made it so that there was no real pressure on he PG to actually create things when the team was ahead. To me that takes away a good bit from him. Still and all time great, but a point guard that doesn't have to deal with the pressures of creating things when the shot clock runs low?

Not sure what the point about winning the ACC PoY was about. Hurley never did. Nor Williams. Ford did only as a senior I believe. I'm almost certainly willing to bet had Anderson stayed four years he would have also won a PoY but even without it him not winning it doesn't make Tre Jones a better PG just because he did.

Some point guards had better careers than Kenny because they stayed longer. But that doesn't mean they were better players.
You said he was the best PG to play in the ACC. I wasn’t sure what you meant by that, so all I did was list PGs in the ACC who had better pro basketball careers and also better ACC careers. If you’re going off eye test/talent while in the league, then that’s subjective and it doesn’t make sense to argue that (or argue against those who disagree). What would you say to a Louisville fan who claimed Montrezl Harrell “looked” better than Tyler Hansbrough in college? Do you think Hansbrough was more talented than Harrell in their time in the ACC?

My point about the ACC PoY is that, in my opinion, you have to have some kind of hardware/longevity to be considered the best ACC PG of all time. But again, you apparently just meant eye test so I can’t argue your opinion. Jay Williams was the Wooden Award winner (National Player of the Year) in 2002 btw.

I’m still not totally sure what your point is. Did Kenny Anderson have the best college career as an ACC PG? No. Did he have the best pro career as a former ACC PG? No. Did he “look” the best in the X amount of years you’ve watched the ACC? Okay, sure. Did you watch Phil Ford in college? No.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if i was making an argument based on an “eye test” I really wouldn’t argue too much against someone who disagreed.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You said he was the best PG to play in the ACC. I wasn’t sure what you meant by that, so all I did was list PGs in the ACC who had better pro basketball careers and also better ACC careers.

Having a better career doesn't mean you were better if it is entirely based on being there 4 years compared to 2. Kenny was better than Hurley. Huryley stayed 4 years to Kenny's two. Kenny went pro early because he was good enough to and Hurley wasn't. And it isn't based on just the eye test. Go compare the numbers.

Kenny averaged 20.6 ppg, 8.1 apg, 5.5 rpg, 2.3 spg, shot 41% from 3 and 52% from the floor. As a freshman.

Look at Hurley as a senior (his best year).

17 ppg, 8.2 apg, 2.6 rpg, 1.5 spg, shot 42% from 3 and 42% from the floor.

Anderson had a better rookie year, in terms of production, than Hurley had as a senior. Anderson was averaging those same numbers against NBA competition that year. But Hurley was better because he stayed 4 years? Come on.

Kenny scored more on better shooting, got more steals, and more rebounds, and was near identical in terms of assists.

Jay Williams JR year

21.3 ppg, 5.3 apg, 3.5 rpg, 2.2 spg, shot 38% from 3 and 46% from the floor.

Extremely good. But also just clearly worse than Kenny as a freshman.

Phil Ford Sr year.

20.8 ppg, 5.7 apg, 2.1 rebounds, 1.8 steals.

Chris Paul's sophomore year

15.3 ppg, 6.6 apg, 4.5 rpg, 2.4 spg, on 47% from 3 and 45% from the floor.

The eye test favors Kenny. But it isn't the only thing that favors him. The biggest reason Hurley especially is lauded is because he played for Duke. Otherwise why is he always mentioned in terms of assists when Corchiani had just 38 fewer assists in 16 fewer games?

My point about the ACC PoY is that, in my opinion, you have to have some kind of hardware/longevity to be considered the best ACC PG of all time.

Except Acc PoY is entirely dependent on who else is playing. Here are some PGs that won ACC PoY. Tre Jones, Shane Larkin, Greivis Vasquez. and a several others that were clearly behind Anderson.

Is consensus all american not good enough? Two first team all conferences in two years (when Hurley was also in the legue mind you). ACC RoY. What longevity are you talking about? This isn't the nba. Anderson had less longevity because he was good enough to leave early. It's silly to turn around and say that proves others were better.

So what is the argument for literally anyone else that isn't just volume stats advantage compiled because Anderson was good enough to go pro early and others weren't, or team based accomplishments?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
So my oldest son is a slight, left handed PG who played as a four year varsity player. I was in school in the early 90s. I had my son's watch old tape of Kenny for fun and learning. If I had wanted to punish them I'd have made them watch Hurley tape.

I like Kenny; I like even the best duke pg not at all....