Curtis Ryans and Jeff Sims receive ACC Player of the Week Honors

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good for Curtis and Jeff. You know I really did not notice Curtis making many plays Friday night but he must have really been playing well. I'm hoping his play will become contagious and spread throughout our defense.

Go Jackets!

Ryans didn't get the award for this week. This most recent honor for Sims got mentioned in the thread from Sep. 14. where Sims and Ryans both got honored.

Deleted member 2897

So we've gotten the ACC Rookie of the Week 3 out of the 4 weeks (Sims, Gibbs, Sims). That's pretty amazing when you consider the caliber of talent across the conference. Clemson by themselves has 5 guys rated 5-stars from the 2020 class. There were something like 55 4-star recruits in the ACC in last year's class.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So we've gotten the ACC Rookie of the Week 3 out of the 4 weeks (Sims, Gibbs, Sims). That's pretty amazing when you consider the caliber of talent across the conference. Clemson by themselves has 5 guys rated 5-stars from the 2020 class. There were something like 55 4-star recruits in the ACC in last year's class.
While that’s true, Tech gets the advantage(?) of having freshmen play a huge number of snaps at important positions. How many other ACC teams have a freshman starting at QB or getting the majority of touches at RB?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
That is a huge advantage for our program. Come play for us and get noticed early. At least until we get several 5* a year...then we'll be just as disadvantaged as the Climps.

Deleted member 2897

While that’s true, Tech gets the advantage(?) of having freshmen play a huge number of snaps at important positions. How many other ACC teams have a freshman starting at QB or getting the majority of touches at RB?

That means those recruits haven’t stepped up as much as Sims and Gibbs have. Nobody handed them the starting spots. We all follow this closely, and only 28% of us guessed Sims would be the starter.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That means those recruits haven’t stepped up as much as Sims and Gibbs have. Nobody handed them the starting spots. We all follow this closely, and only 28% of us guessed Sims would be the starter.
I’m not arguing that Sims and Gibbs aren’t impactful or haven’t stepped up. I’m just saying that most places are probably in a position where they don’t need to play freshmen. I mean, without Mason being hurt, Gibbs probably wouldn’t have as many touches as he does this year. If I’m not mistaken, Sims is the only starting QB in the ACC that is a freshman. It’s great that these guys are being recognized and winning these awards, but my point was that it’s a byproduct of our team’s youth, and a sign that the future is looking up.

Deleted member 2897

I’m not arguing that Sims and Gibbs aren’t impactful or haven’t stepped up. I’m just saying that most places are probably in a position where they don’t need to play freshmen. I mean, without Mason being hurt, Gibbs probably wouldn’t have as many touches as he does this year. If I’m not mistaken, Sims is the only starting QB in the ACC that is a freshman. It’s great that these guys are being recognized and winning these awards, but my point was that it’s a byproduct of our team’s youth, and a sign that the future is looking up.

We don’t have to start a freshman either. Tobias Oliver is an upperclassman, and James Graham started most of last year and Yates has a year under his belt too. On the RB side, Gibbs had to beat out a couple other 4-star RBs who have been here as well as Dontae Smith.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We don’t have to start a freshman either. Tobias Oliver is an upperclassman, and James Graham started most of last year and Yates has a year under his belt too. On the RB side, Gibbs had to beat out a couple other 4-star RBs who have been here as well as Dontae Smith.
You’re clearly missing the point, but that’s ok.

Deleted member 2897

You’re clearly missing the point, but that’s ok.
Clemson has 5 freshmen who are 5-stars and almost all of them are playing and starting. I get your point that you think our previous starters were so weak it was easier for our guys to get playing time at key skill positions (I think that’s what you’re saying), but there’s a ton of 4-star and 5-star guys out there who aren’t showing out enough to get the awards. Outside of Clemson, it’s not like the ACC is flush with all these tough to beat out 5-star and top 100 guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

Yet some people want him benched..
I do. Want to see him benched in the 4th quarter because we are up by 4 TDs and Coach wants to rest him while the backup gets reps...

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has 5 freshmen who are 5-stars and almost all of them are playing and starting. I get your point that you think our previous starters were so weak it was easier for our guys to get playing time at key skill positions (I think that’s what you’re saying), but there’s a ton of 4-star and 5-star guys out there who aren’t showing out enough to get the awards.
Clemson signed 5 5-star players last year. A QB, RB, DT, DE, and LB

The QB has thrown 16 passes
The RB has 9 carries (7th most on the team) and 0 receptions
The DT has 6 tackles (14th most on the team)
The DE has has 18 tackles (2nd most) and 2.5 sacks (tied for most)
The LB has 2 tackles (tied for 32nd most on the team)

So only 1 of their 5 star guys has significant playing time, and he’s one of their top defenders. But every ACC Rookie of the Week thus far has been an offensive player. Does that mean that he has been less impactful than Sims or Gibbs?

North Carolina was the only other ACC school to sign a 5-star player. He’s a DB, and has 1 tackle on the year. Now obviously tackles aren’t the best stat to show the production of DBs, but with only 1 tackle it’s easy to see that he’s not on the field very often. Their next highest rated recruit is a receiver who has 1 catch on the year.

Miami’s highest rated recruit was a DB who has 0 tackles on the year. Their highest rated offensive recruit was a receiver that has 2 catches on the year.

Florida State’s highest rated recruit has 0 catches on the year.

You act like I’m talking down about Sims/Gibbs or the rest of the team. I’m not at all. All I’m doing is pointing out the fact that they have a lot more opportunities to see the field than other freshmen do. Just like Jordan Williams who was named a pre-season Freshman All-American. That list was compiled by taking both talent/potential, as well as playing time opportunities. Is he legitimately one of the top 10 freshman OT in the country? Probably not. He’s solid, and is performing well enough, but he received that honor mostly because he was penciled in the starting lineup when most other freshmen are not. The same service that named him an All-American ranked him as the 43rd best OT in his class.

I’m really not sure what you’re trying to argue here. Cuse has posted the composite talent rankings before, and something like 40 of Tech’s top 50 highest rated players are either freshmen or sophomores. It’s no surprise that our freshmen are getting more opportunities than other schools’. That’s not a knock on the older guys, it’s just a fact. Aren’t we trying to improve our recruiting? If we’re trying to improve then that means we’re going to be bringing in more talented players? Correct? If there are more talented players coming in a taking playing time from older guys who probably aren’t as talented, does that mean that I’m talking down on the guys that were already here? No.

Deleted member 2897

Clemson signed 5 5-star players last year. A QB, RB, DT, DE, and LB

The QB has thrown 16 passes
The RB has 9 carries (7th most on the team) and 0 receptions
The DT has 6 tackles (14th most on the team)
The DE has has 18 tackles (2nd most) and 2.5 sacks (tied for most)
The LB has 2 tackles (tied for 32nd most on the team)

So only 1 of their 5 star guys has significant playing time, and he’s one of their top defenders. But every ACC Rookie of the Week thus far has been an offensive player. Does that mean that he has been less impactful than Sims or Gibbs?

North Carolina was the only other ACC school to sign a 5-star player. He’s a DB, and has 1 tackle on the year. Now obviously tackles aren’t the best stat to show the production of DBs, but with only 1 tackle it’s easy to see that he’s not on the field very often. Their next highest rated recruit is a receiver who has 1 catch on the year.

Miami’s highest rated recruit was a DB who has 0 tackles on the year. Their highest rated offensive recruit was a receiver that has 2 catches on the year.

Florida State’s highest rated recruit has 0 catches on the year.

You act like I’m talking down about Sims/Gibbs or the rest of the team. I’m not at all. All I’m doing is pointing out the fact that they have a lot more opportunities to see the field than other freshmen do. Just like Jordan Williams who was named a pre-season Freshman All-American. That list was compiled by taking both talent/potential, as well as playing time opportunities. Is he legitimately one of the top 10 freshman OT in the country? Probably not. He’s solid, and is performing well enough, but he received that honor mostly because he was penciled in the starting lineup when most other freshmen are not. The same service that named him an All-American ranked him as the 43rd best OT in his class.

I’m really not sure what you’re trying to argue here. Cuse has posted the composite talent rankings before, and something like 40 of Tech’s top 50 highest rated players are either freshmen or sophomores. It’s no surprise that our freshmen are getting more opportunities than other schools’. That’s not a knock on the older guys, it’s just a fact. Aren’t we trying to improve our recruiting? If we’re trying to improve then that means we’re going to be bringing in more talented players? Correct? If there are more talented players coming in a taking playing time from older guys who probably aren’t as talented, does that mean that I’m talking down on the guys that were already here? No.
Exactly - there are tons of 4-star and 5-star freshman in the ACC - about 55. None of them are playing well enough to get the award.