Cubaj and Fletcher returning

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Curious...do the ladies have the same opportunity to assess their WNBA draft chances as do the men? Glad they are back in either case.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Curious...do the ladies have the same opportunity to assess their WNBA draft chances as do the men? Glad they are back in either case.
I preface this with I have no idea since my only lens into WBB is GT. I did see in AJC article:

Those entering the WNBA draft had to opt in by April 1.

That doesn't seem like much of window for evaluations. Seems like NBA and NFL take closer to a month.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I preface this with I have no idea since my only lens into WBB is GT. I did see in AJC article:

Those entering the WNBA draft had to opt in by April 1.

That doesn't seem like much of window for evaluations. Seems like NBA and NFL take closer to a month.

I saw in your linked article that Cubaj was a projected first round draft pick. However, the linked article below says that last years top 5 picks were paid about 55k +/-. I don't follow the WNBA (nor the NBA for that matter) but was surprised at the data. I would expect a GT grad to make more coming out of school so the decision for these players is wise as well as, of course, excellent for the program.

WNBA news: Takeaways from the WNBA salary database (highposthoops.com)

Disclaimer: the data is from the internet. I have no way to verify authenticity.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh wow, one last dance!
Emotions are high right after the tourney and often it feels like the players will return, only to see that never happens (ex: 2021 mens seniors, 2009 football juniors). I wonder what pieces fell into place for Cubaj and Fletcher to declare come back as offical. Hey, I ain't complaining!

Pan seems to be doing well in her pro career (from her Insta account).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think this just clinched my decision to purchase season tickets for next year for this team....

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I saw in your linked article that Cubaj was a projected first round draft pick. However, the linked article below says that last years top 5 picks were paid about 55k +/-. I don't follow the WNBA (nor the NBA for that matter) but was surprised at the data. I would expect a GT grad to make more coming out of school so the decision for these players is wise as well as, of course, excellent for the program.

WNBA news: Takeaways from the WNBA salary database (highposthoops.com)

Disclaimer: the data is from the internet. I have no way to verify authenticity.
Engineering grads start around $70k. With grad degree add at least 10k to that. They can make more with their degree but if they want to play a couple of years they can fall back on their degree. That $55k number may not include shoe contracts etc. A few years ago a NBA shoe contract was about $160k. Even NBA bench warmers made about $700k including a shoe deal. That has been several years ago when I had info on a player who ultimately played in China after a less than stellar NBA career. So there may be more $ with the WNBA than the base contract.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Engineering grads start around $70k. With grad degree add at least 10k to that. They can make more with their degree but if they want to play a couple of years they can fall back on their degree. That $55k number may not include shoe contracts etc. A few years ago a NBA shoe contract was about $160k. Even NBA bench warmers made about $700k including a shoe deal. That has been several years ago when I had info on a player who ultimately played in China after a less than stellar NBA career. So there may be more $ with the WNBA than the base contract.
The real money that WNBA players make is overseas in the “off-season”

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
NC State guard Dontavia Waggoner and forwards Jada Rice and Elle Sutphinhave entered the transfer portal.

Rice, a 6-foot-4 redshirt sophomore, averaged 1.7 points and 1.8 rebounds. Sutphin, a redshirt freshman, averaged 2.1 points and 1.3 rebounds.

Waggoner, a true freshman, averaged 2.1 points and 1.4 rebounds.