Crunch Time!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The biggest difference between this team and many, many GT teams in the recent past is.... you guessed it..... how we perform in crunch time. Let's face it, this team is not very good, to be honest. What we are... is good enough. We're good enough to keep it close for 3.9 quarters. Then, and here's the caveat.... then we are OUTSTANDING!

You can win a lot of ball games when you're like this.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
The biggest difference between this team and many, many GT teams in the recent past is.... you guessed it..... how we perform in crunch time. Let's face it, this team is not very good, to be honest. What we are... is good enough. We're good enough to keep it close for 3.9 quarters. Then, and here's the caveat.... then we are OUTSTANDING!

An ugly 4-0 is a hell of a lot better than a pretty 2-2 any day though!! Really like this team.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

You are on to something but this is third or fourth time this year we needed a play.......many times we didnt get four big plays a year on defense so we may be on to something.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, you gotta hope it sets up the season too. Think 2012 (sorry to bring up a touchy subject) where we lost 2 OT games to VPI and Miami in the first 4 games. The team was lifeless after, got blown out by MTSU! Honestly, had we lost to GSU, I don't think we win in Blacksburg. Also we talk about how nice a 2 week break is for our team to heal up. If things had gone differently on Saturday, that's a long 2 weeks coming off of a loss.

The bad thing about close wins is it makes us look bad to voters. The flip side is it doesn't allow for complacency. Our team knows they need to get better. They can't just rest on their laurels and win any of the games we have left if we can't even mail it in against a non power 5 team. This season is setting up perfectly for us to do something special, and the recruiting is setting us up for sustained success. Let's hope it all works out, this team sure is easy to cheer for.

Spandex

Georgia Tech Fan

It has to be a big confidence builder for the team.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Umm, am I the only one who is hoping for a nice comfortable win over Miami?

These nail-biting comebacks are NOT good for my heart. And, the odds say we will not be able to do it EVERY time!

Like Nebraska did would be just fine with me.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Umm, am I the only one who is hoping for a nice comfortable win over Miami?

These nail-biting comebacks are NOT good for my heart. And, the odds say we will not be able to do it EVERY time!

Like Nebraska did would be just fine with me.

No. I am hoping for a colossal dismantling. 21-0 after 1 and 31-7 at the half.

And this coming after Miami barely edges Duke this weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for the topic, GT as a whole has not made "game-winning" plays consistently since Nesbitt left. We've won games, but in the tight ones, where we need the one stop, or the one pass, or the one score, we'vecome up short. When you start making these plays you start to make your own luck, and win some football games.

Animal02

Banned

I disagree with one thing.....I think this team is a goo team.....I don't think they are great......but they are good and we have been good enough.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't think Miami has enough team speed on D to slow us down much. I admit I'm basing that off small portions of their games I've been able to catch. They don't look as athletic as past Miami teams.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Cheese,
you are dead-on. The difference is a PLAYMAKING QB and SOMEBODY on Def to do it sometime-White on int, Milton on block
-really JT would not have lead the TD drive w/o White. I still feel sorry for TW in '11 at vt when he lead us to a go ahead TD on PLAYMAKING and the Def then collapses.

this almost reminds me of the '99? team with a Def than did nothing much but get TOs and turn into TDs and a strong OFf
Playing on the edge like this is scary but certainly gives the feeling you can win most anytime--ignoring the flipside

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Cheese,
you are dead-on. The difference is a PLAYMAKING QB and SOMEBODY on Def to do it sometime-White on int, Milton on block
-really JT would not have lead the TD drive w/o White. I still feel sorry for TW in '11 at vt when he lead us to a go ahead TD on PLAYMAKING and the Def then collapses.

this almost reminds me of the '99? team with a Def than did nothing much but get TOs and turn into TDs and a strong OFf
Playing on the edge like this is scary but certainly gives the feeling you can win most anytime--ignoring the flipside
I will add Smelter as being a huge difference as well. The guy knows how to get open which is something we haven't had since DT.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Miami has enough team speed on D to slow us down much. I admit I'm basing that off small portions of their games I've been able to catch. They don't look as athletic as past Miami teams.

If you watched Miami play against Nebraska, you would have seen them revert back to their "thug" mentality; physical alterations, late hits, etc. I fully expect they'll come into Grant Field thinking they will be able to bully their way through us like they've done in the past; hopefully, we'll have a repeat of the whiteout game they were here when they didn't know what hit them because they over-ran plays defensively, etc.

That was PJ's first year and we won the game 41-23 (Miami was ranked 23 coming into the game).

Last edited:

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I think we have some young talent that will keep getting better as the season moves forward, we'll see how far that takes us.

The big differences IMO, are the intangibles, team chemistry and heart.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
No. I am hoping for a colossal dismantling. 21-0 after 1 and 31-7 at the half.

And this coming after Miami barely edges Duke this weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for the topic, GT as a whole has not made "game-winning" plays consistently since Nesbitt left. We've won games, but in the tight ones, where we need the one stop, or the one pass, or the one score, we'vecome up short. When you start making these plays you start to make your own luck, and win some football games.

You stopped this line of thought. We were up 35-10 at the half just a couple weeks ago. That one turned into a huge comeback win. Give me a 41-14 at the end of the third please.