Crozier and media madness

LibertyTurns

Banned
The Navy ship captain deserved to get canned. He pulled his ship into Da Nang & unleashed his crew on liberty because “it was a cool thing to do”. Then he did not use his organic resources to blunt the spread on his own ship. Then he e-blasted an unclassified, emotional message out instead of using existing reporting chains- yes there’s a classified system for reporting such issues and a correct way to request support. Then instead of explaining to his crew the plan, he virtually enlisted their help to foment a more hysterical outcry.

Not just bad leadership but horrendous leadership. That got him canned & rightfully so He’s got no business commanding an aircraft carrier with that level of judgment.

Probably so, I can see that. What I want to know is whether the CO tried to get the Navy to do something about the problem and just couldn't get through to any of the brass. Hard to believe, but it seems that's why he wrote the letter, because he felt that nothing else was working and he was trying to protect his crew. Both things are hard to believe - that the Navy wasn't paying attention, and that the CO would write a letter like that without first going through channels and his chain of command without proper response. I'd be interested to know what really happened here.

Third hand info passed along so take it for what it’s worth:

Reports are when the problem originally arose Modly called Crozier personally. He directed him to contact his Chief of Staff directly if he needed anything. Days of follow up ensued with no request for support. I’m sure PACOM & 7th Fleet & AirPac were all involved at a high level plus TR Senior Medical Officer, etc. Day before the letter Modly calls Crozier again & Crozier states “... it was getting worse but now it’s ok. I think I got it under control” or WTTE. Next day the letter hits the wire. Crap hits the fan. Both leaders are now cashiered. It’s a rough business, terribly rough for the rash & those lacking judgment.

If that's the way it went down, Crozier's actions (or lack thereof) are hard to figure.
Well, it now appears we have clarity. Not everyone has gotten what they deserve yet, but at least you can say the Navy is not fearful of holding leaders accountable. Thank you SECNAV James McPherson.

* Crozier put his crew in danger releasing them from quarantine on the ship to infect more of the crew
* Delayed the debarkation of the crew from his ship
* Failed to enforce social distancing
* Complicated moving his Sailors ashore in Guam by creating a media frenzy & after Guam had arranged for hotels

* The Strike Group Commander, Wing Commander and Medical Officer are all getting disciplined.

That’s 2 Admirals and 2 O-6’s being held to account. Now the CNO needs his medicine. Time for Gilday to retire for his mismanagement of this fiasco.

Now if we could just infuse our government with military style accountability and discipline for incompetence the world would be a better place.

https://sofrep.com/news/the-captain-crozier-saga-continues/