Crowd Noise

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Most due hard GSU fans don't like UGA much fwiw
true statement. most legit GS fans are not leghumpers. i hate going to athens. though, it was nice to see their fans sit on their hands during the first half of the game GS played against them two years ago. of course, the eagles got hosed on a BS chop block call when we were knocking on the door of a TD that would have put the eagles up going into halftime.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
When opposing fans start getting really loud we need to have a player on the screen start the yellow.... Jacket cheer like they used to a few years ago. It was embarrassing in the second half for it to sound like a home game for GS in our stadium.I understand we were playing terrible but we need to do something to counter opposing fan noise.

This is a great idea. The YELLOW... JACKETS cheer is one thing our crowd will always quite readily join in for, especially if doing it drowns out unwelcome visitor chants.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Another noise related thing that Tech could improve is the relative positioning of the home and visitor bands. In lower west, we always hear the visiting band more than our own because they are pointed right at us. Our band's sound is directed at the field and is less loud in the stands. If both play at once (a breach of marching band etiquette, by the way -they are supposed to take turns) we can mostly just hear the visitors.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
When I was a student, I don't ever recall having to pay extra for football tickets, anywhere in the sections allotted to students--your athletic fee covered the expense. You lined up with a student ID (early), and you got in--provided the student section didn't fill up before you got to the gate. If you wanted to bring a (non-GT) date, you had to buy a season pass to bring your date into the game, but that was it.

The current policy is just dumb, as I see it. Why make it harder for the students to attend? They are our bread and butter, in terms of rabid fandom. (we don't have a horde of clueless rednecks, like the un-Iversity of Georgia) Are they that desperate for money? Shoot, I'd pay an extra $10 per game for my ticket, if it would guarantee another student sitting in the stands, raising hell.

The games were covered by the Athletic Fee in my day too. Most games we "pregamed" back in the dorm walked over to the East Stands and went in. A Date Pass was a colored stripe on the ID that cost very little money ($10?) that was good for the entire season. The UGAg game required going over to the ticket window under the West Stands and getting a chit that you needed on game day. Frats & Clubs could get Block Seating which was supposed to reserve a certain area for the organization. There was a nominal fee per seat for that IIRC.

Once there were so many students showing up for a game they had us sit in some bleachers that were set up in front of the permanent part of the old South Stand horseshoe.

I agree that the current policy of requiring getting a ticket or wristband ahead of time is not student friendly. It would be different if Grant was sold out each home game and the AA sold unused student tickets to the general public. Charging $49 extra to sit in the North Stands is just another shakedown of the students for money.

If going to a football game was a PITA to get in back in the day, I may have just stayed in the dorm and never had the experience. Going back and watching a game after 20+ years got me hooked - mostly because of my nostalgia for my experiences back in the 80's - when GT football really sucked.

Now, getting into the Tit '85+ - that was a PITA.

Animal02

Banned
The games were covered by the Athletic Fee in my day too. Most games we "pregamed" back in the dorm walked over to the East Stands and went in. A Date Pass was a colored stripe on the ID that cost very little money ($10?) that was good for the entire season. The UGAg game required going over to the ticket window under the West Stands and getting a chit that you needed on game day. Frats & Clubs could get Block Seating which was supposed to reserve a certain area for the organization. There was a nominal fee per seat for that IIRC.

Once there were so many students showing up for a game they had us sit in some bleachers that were set up in front of the permanent part of the old South Stand horseshoe.

I agree that the current policy of requiring getting a ticket or wristband ahead of time is not student friendly. It would be different if Grant was sold out each home game and the AA sold unused student tickets to the general public. Charging $49 extra to sit in the North Stands is just another shakedown of the students for money.

If going to a football game was a PITA to get in back in the day, I may have just stayed in the dorm and never had the experience. Going back and watching a game after 20+ years got me hooked - mostly because of my nostalgia for my experiences back in the 80's - when GT football really sucked.

Now, getting into the Tit '85+ - that was a PITA.

I would rather have getting into the Tit a PITA then they way it was when I was at Tech......going 1-11 in the ACC and fans wearing paper bags to the game. ;)
I too survived the really suck years for Tech sports 78-83. I do not recall the bleachers in the south end. But I do remember the flashcard section, and the "rat" bleachers on the track. Going to events back then certainly was easier and I do think making it more difficult to attend games is chasing away student fans. Non should out games they should offer to students for next to nothing a couple of hours before the game starts.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
When I was there (late 80's, early 90's), we show our student ID and we're in the game. This included the 1990 MNC season. That's the way it should be, period. Any student that wants to go to the game should be able to go.

I like this idea. First come, first serve. It'll require them to get there early too if it's a big game instead of waiting until the second quarter.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
If they are not getting rid of all student tickets or if they are going unused then first come first serve makes sense. Light a fire under the student body.

As for the non-football loving students I enjoyed the footage of that clinic they had for foreign born students. The team can really play a big role on campus as ambassadors for getting the students more interested in attending games. Heck get out on the quad and start some flag football games with the students or gather foreign born soccer lovers and play soccer games with them. The nature of Tech though is such that realism is useful on this score. It is so truly a unique world-class institution that there is little chance for making a sea change in the study/work habits of large portions of the student body such that they will get to the games.

Now . . . the greek houses should be more "captive audiences" and more liable to peer pressure and persuasion to get in the stands.

Finally, if I am right that students really pack closer together in their sections like people at rock concerts then that means far more "seats" will be accounted for then it looks like to a camera because they are not standing (let alone sitting) in their assigned spots. You do notice that it is always in the corners of the student sections right? That suggests everyone moves forward and towards the center and doesn't stay in assigned seats.

My only thoughts on fixing that is finding out what "standing room only" rules would allow for in these student sections and either turn the whole section into that and allowing more leeway to just cram bodies on into the section, or try and determine how the students are occupying the space naturally and then double sell tickets for certain rows and sections so that they get filled in more completely. Maybe further subdivide the sections so that kids can cram up like they do but you still have pathways that ensure safe evacuations.

There will be safety and fire marshal issues here that need to be addressed.

Animal02

Banned
If they are not getting rid of all student tickets or if they are going unused then first come first serve makes sense. Light a fire under the student body.

As for the non-football loving students I enjoyed the footage of that clinic they had for foreign born students. The team can really play a big role on campus as ambassadors for getting the students more interested in attending games. Heck get out on the quad and start some flag football games with the students or gather foreign born soccer lovers and play soccer games with them. The nature of Tech though is such that realism is useful on this score. It is so truly a unique world-class institution that there is little chance for making a sea change in the study/work habits of large portions of the student body such that they will get to the games.

Now . . . the greek houses should be more "captive audiences" and more liable to peer pressure and persuasion to get in the stands.

Finally, if I am right that students really pack closer together in their sections like people at rock concerts then that means far more "seats" will be accounted for then it looks like to a camera because they are not standing (let alone sitting) in their assigned spots. You do notice that it is always in the corners of the student sections right? That suggests everyone moves forward and towards the center and doesn't stay in assigned seats.

My only thoughts on fixing that is finding out what "standing room only" rules would allow for in these student sections and either turn the whole section into that and allowing more leeway to just cram bodies on into the section, or try and determine how the students are occupying the space naturally and then double sell tickets for certain rows and sections so that they get filled in more completely. Maybe further subdivide the sections so that kids can cram up like they do but you still have pathways that ensure safe evacuations.

There will be safety and fire marshal issues here that need to be addressed.

They could change the seat size in the student section to what they have at U of Mich. ;) When I was a student back in 78-83 they handed you a ticket as you walked in, but it did not really matter.....they had "ushers" (students I believe) that directed the moving mass of bodies into seats encouraging you to pack it in and they filled up section after section like that regardless of where your ticket said you were supposed to be.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
They could change the seat size in the student section to what they have at U of Mich. ;) When I was a student back in 78-83 they handed you a ticket as you walked in, but it did not really matter.....they had "ushers" (students I believe) that directed the moving mass of bodies into seats encouraging you to pack it in and they filled up section after section like that regardless of where your ticket said you were supposed to be.
That is what I am thinking would work as long as Tech avoided ticking off a fire marshal. Those sections really end up with the kids acting like they are at a rock concert so I say pack it in and ignore the assigned seating.