Crimson Tide cut blocking video

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
image.png

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone know what really happened with the 2019-2020 home and home with Bama and why it got cancelled? It looks like they are playing Duke in 2019 instead.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know what really happened with the 2019-2020 home and home with Bama and why it got cancelled? It looks like they are playing Duke in 2019 instead.
I think it is all hearsay at this point. At the time, it was being said that Bama requested we play at Bama and then at the Dome, and we refused.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nick Saban played a Jeff Monken coached GA Southern. Realized he wanted no part of this offense run by CPJ and better athletes. Ran to his AD and cried into his milk and Little Debbie oatmeal cookies (look into it) until his AD canceled the game.

True story.

(OK, not really true, but that's the story I choose to believe....)

Deleted member 2897

I feel bad for that DE, but that's either bad coaching or bad technique, or a bit of both. When you have a blocker coming at you, you can't turn sideways. That's a dangerous move. You have to stay face on and use your hands to evade the block. Football is a violent sport and people get hurt every game on legal plays.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
... because you know it is legal in the tackle box.
This is correct. I cannot find a "north-south" requirement inside the tackle box. This seems like the most likely place to make a rules change. I don't think it would affect us much. Guys really shouldn't be targeting the side of a guy's knee anywhere on the field, period.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I feel bad for that DE, but that's either bad coaching or bad technique, or a bit of both. When you have a blocker coming at you, you can't turn sideways. That's a dangerous move. You have to stay face on and use your hands to evade the block. Football is a violent sport and people get hurt every game on legal plays.
He's slow playing the the mesh so he's not focused down the LOS. How do you coach your DE's, then? "Don't look at the mesh, look out for pulling guards taking your knees out from the side."

Deleted member 2897

He's slow playing the the mesh so he's not focused down the LOS. How do you coach your DE's, then? "Don't look at the mesh, look out for pulling guards taking your knees out from the side."

I disagree. He wasn't getting hit from the side until he turned to the side. Here is the before and after.

Y6hwtTI.jpg

Notice in the first picture on the left, you can see a little of the numbers on the back of his jersey. Then look at the second picture where you can see the numbers on the front of his jersey.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. He wasn't getting hit from the side until he turned to the side. Here is the before and after.

Y6hwtTI.jpg

Notice in the first picture on the left, you can see a little of the numbers on the back of his jersey. Then look at the second picture where you can see the numbers on the front of his jersey.
I have a massive respect for your opinion, but I think you’re reaching a bit on this one. Look at the defender’s feet. If you draw a line between them, that line is parallel to the line of scrimmage.

Here’s another thing, that block would be just as effective targeting the hip rather than the knee and much less risky.

Last edited:

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a massive respect for your opinion, but I think you’re reaching a bit on this one. Look at the defender’s feet. If you draw a line between them, that line is parallel to the line of scrimmage.

Here’s another thing, that block would be just as effective targeting the hip rather than the knee and much less risky.

I Like that approach for looking at the direction of the block. Looking from the hips down, the DE got past the lineman, then got cut from the side.

Deleted member 2897

I do admit I'm walking a tight rope here, because its clearly not a front facing block. I just think it was a bit over to the side and then the kid exacerbated it by rotating away from it at the same time. I like your 10 and 2 analogy.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I do admit I'm walking a tight rope here, because its clearly not a front facing block. I just think it was a bit over to the side and then the kid exacerbated it by rotating away from it at the same time. I like your 10 and 2 analogy.
I agree it's a questionable block made worse by the DE's movement. Hard to tell if he just never saw him or tried to turn away at the last second.