Credit for the Win today

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
so you say, but after the embarrassment that the 65 page thread that was allowed here for some reason was, I don't believe you.

there were folks in that thread actively rooting for us to lose to KSU so that Collins would get fired, and Bohannon or Monken could get hired.

Collins may or may not last here, I don't know. But that thread was a Sh$@show, and you know it.
We will have to agree to disagree.

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
so you say, but after the embarrassment that the 65 page thread that was allowed here for some reason was, I don't believe you.

there were folks in that thread actively rooting for us to lose to KSU so that Collins would get fired, and Bohannon or Monken could get hired.

Collins may or may not last here, I don't know. But that thread was a Sh$@show, and you know it.
I don’t understand the argument here. Are fans not supposed to be upset after a humiliating loss like that? Seriously, what do you expect after such a loss? People talked that way during the Gailey and Johnson years, too. I think it’s a good thing there are “****show” threads after bad losses; it means that people still have passion for GT Football.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand the argument here. Are fans not supposed to be upset after a humiliating loss like that? Seriously, what do you expect after such a loss? People talked that way during the Gailey and Johnson years, too. I think it’s a good thing there are “****show” threads after bad losses; it means that people still have passion for GT Football.

They don't remember the post MTSU thread. The issue though was that oen was rightfully calling for al groh's head and we got it.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
That fire Geoff Collins thread is a who’s who of “where the F did they come from”. Those that just love to hate. Ah. HATERS.

We are going to have Geoff Collins until the end of next year no matter what, so those folks need to crawl back into the hole they came out of and STFU. They seemed to be trolling the chat as well.

We aren’t as talented in the trenches as some think to believe we are. Yes we have gotten some decent transfers but we are still generally young there. We have decent DL recruits but again it’s going to take 2-3 years for them to mature.
This is the correct key point - our Oline has not been able to get a consistent push in the run game against inferior competition thus far. And our QB has had way too much pressure on them (credit Yates for doing a great job thus far) - again, against inferior competition. Our Dline got very little QB pressure and gave up way too much in the running game in the NIU game. Credit the Dline for looking better against KSU - not so much for our Oline. Our overall performance in the trenches isn't encouraging thus far.

As a fan, I'm hoping Key can be the coach we all expect and get better performance from our Oline...this will determine how many W's we have this season more than any other factors - we have good enough skill position players to get 'er done...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
During the season you support your team with everything you have and save the bitching for the off-season. If you are pissed and don't have anything good to say, don't say anything. It does ABSOLUTELY no good to piss and moan about the coach after the first game. All it is is divisive and counterproductive.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
During the season you support your team with everything you have and save the bitching for the off-season. If you are pissed and don't have anything good to say, don't say anything. It does ABSOLUTELY no good to piss and moan about the coach after the first game. All it is is divisive and counterproductive.
I'm sorry I thought this was murica.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I sort of agree except for one thing. It wasn’t the first game. Fan reaction was to one more game which was part of a two year trend of mediocrity. Surely you can understand that it was not just one game that set people off.

Now, having said that, I think everyone is ready to move on and actually declare the start of a new season. A victory next Saturday will show us that we are no longer experiencing Groundhog Day over and over.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I sort of agree except for one thing. It wasn’t the first game. Fan reaction was to one more game which was part of a two year trend of mediocrity. Surely you can understand that it was not just one game that set people off.

Now, having said that, I think everyone is ready to move on and actually declare the start of a new season. A victory next Saturday will show us that we are no longer experiencing Groundhog Day over and over.
I get it. I feel frustrated too. It’s just that bellyaching isn’t going to change it and just pisses other people off.

if we’re not going to stay optimistic about our team, all we’re succeeding in doing that is bringing others around us down.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I get it. I feel frustrated too. It’s just that bellyaching isn’t going to change it and just pisses other people off.

if we’re not going to stay optimistic about our team, all we’re succeeding in doing that is bringing others around us down.
I’m optimistic by nature. It’s why I have predicted for months that Tech will win 7 games. But I also can’t blame people who bellyache. I know it can be counterproductive but I’ve watched Tech fans do this all my life. To suddenly expect that behavior to change now with this coach is to discount an unbroken history that goes all the way back to Bud Carson.

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
Divisive and counterproductive to what exactly? You assume as if this board were in charge of running the team. What possible influence could some angry fans venting online have on the team? Players transfer? Collins wants to quit? Donors stop giving money? Thank you for laying out the argument. I just don’t buy it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Divisive and counterproductive to what exactly? You assume as if this board were in charge of running the team. What possible influence could some angry fans venting online have on the team? Players transfer? Collins wants to quit? Donors stop giving money? Thank you for laying out the argument. I just don’t buy it.
It makes the fan base look like a bunch of winey little bitches. If you want to moan and complain, let me know ahead of time and I'll just put you on ignore because you have the right to piss and moan, and I have the right to not have to listen to it. It's a pretty bad showing by a true fan to piss and moan (i.e. vent online) in the middle of your team's season.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
C'mon man... Up until the NIU kickoff we had post after post telling us that we set the bar too low as GT fans - we should aim higher to be "elite" or biGTime to use the parlance and not settle for being a 7-8 win program. Well, if you want to swim in the deep end, then you need to perform "at a high level" and be big enough to take criticism when you struggle or make mistakes. If we get embarrassed by Clemson again, or if we have more embarrassing losses, are you proposing all critics should hold fire until after the UGA game ? Sure, that's how other programs' fans react....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m optimistic by nature. It’s why I have predicted for months that Tech will win 7 games. But I also can’t blame people who bellyache. I know it can be counterproductive but I’ve watched Tech fans do this all my life. To suddenly expect that behavior to change now with this coach is to discount an unbroken history that goes all the way back to Bud Carson.
If enough of us start calling them out, maybe they'll stop doing it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
C'mon man... Up until the NIU kickoff we had post after post telling us that we set the bar too low as GT fans - we should aim higher to be "elite" or biGTime to use the parlance and not settle for being a 7-8 win program. Well, if you want to swim in the deep end, then you need to perform "at a high level" and be big enough to take criticism when you struggle or make mistakes. If we get embarrassed by Clemson again, or if we have more embarrassing losses, are you proposing all critics should hold fire until after the UGA game ? Sure, that's how other programs' fans react....

I think criticism is warranted and necessary. WTBS, I think it should be football related and not superficialities....what the coaches say or don't say, what they wear, uniforms, etc. Also, it's the relentless repetition that is not necessary and detracts from meaningful football conversations.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I'm saying is that to piss and moan makes us look like little bitches. To call for the coach to be fired is going to get you ignored by me. To even suggest firing the coach at the beginning of the season for a loss in a game where we dominated in every category except the scoreboard should get you ignored by the vast majority of real fans.

Two missed FG (not counting the last one as anything but a desperate attempt), one just wide left and the other a slip. Going for it on 4th and Goal. Playcalling on 2nd and goal, 3rd and goal. Sure, let's second guess our coaches and our players. That's what fans do. That's what I expect.

Calling for a coach to be fired after the 1st game of Year 3 when Year 2 was Covid-19, yeah, that should get you banned from the site for being stupid and bringing nothing to the table, not just ignored by me.

BTW, I'm still predicting 12-1 or 14-1 if things fall our way. I concede no loss until it occurs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think criticism is warranted and necessary. WTBS, I think it should be football related and not superficialities....what the coaches say or don't say, what they wear, uniforms, etc. Also, it's the relentless repetition that is not necessary and detracts from meaningful football conversations.

Agree except for the bolded part. If we are going to have a coach tell us how elite the team is after embarrassing losses, then they deserve the pursuant criticism.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Agree except for the bolded part. If we are going to have a coach tell us how elite the team is after embarrassing losses, then they deserve the pursuant criticism.
I am sure most will take your side of the debate but at the end of they day, what the coaches say or do not say in the postgame presser don't effect outcomes As I said in another post, our previous coach whom I had a great deal of respect for, was a "straight shooter" when winning and "snarky and bad with the press" when losing. I felt then, as I do now, these types of criticisms are emotional imo and driven purely by outcomes rather than rational thought.