Crazy World We Live In

SnidelyWhiplash

Helluva Engineer
The Today Show interviewed one of the employees (looked like 18-22 years old) at the grocery store this morning and 2 of his friends who were also there. All smiles on TV and yucking it up. Creepy.

The employee said someone ran into the store saying there was an active shooter in the parking lot. This guys response - he said he ran outside to watch. LOL. At least he admitted he isn’t the smartest.

SnidelyWhiplash

Helluva Engineer
I can’t imagine grocery shopping and then someone starts mowing us all down with a gun. I’d be scared to death.

it’s totally bizarre. The kids they interviewed today were inside the store when the first shot happened outside. Instead of running and locking the doors to the store, they went outside to look at what was happening. Then once the shooting moved inside the grocery store, that’s where some of those other videos pick up. You can hear the shots firing, and people have been shot and laying around, but people are too busy filming to help anybody or flee the scene. Bizarre.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What irritates me is the HUGE. number of people who rush to judgment EVERY time there are incidents like this one....Kamala Harris' sister (iirc) went on a twitter rampage about how white men are domestic terrorists....until she found out the shooter was Syrian (oops!). But beyond that, apparently tons of people on social media leaped into judgement without facts!

SnidelyWhiplash

Helluva Engineer
What irritates me is the HUGE. number of people who rush to judgment EVERY time there are incidents like this one....Kamala Harris' sister (iirc) went on a twitter rampage about how white men are domestic terrorists....until she found out the shooter was Syrian (oops!). But beyond that, apparently tons of people on social media leaped into judgement without facts!

Or rushing to judgement despite the facts. The Atlanta shooting is all about illegal immigration, human trafficking, and sexual addiction/violence. But apparently that doesn’t generate clicks, eyeballs, revenue, and outrage.

SnidelyWhiplash

Helluva Engineer
Jesus Christ

So here is where the rubber meets the road - the vast majority of the time, according to the law these people should not have guns. The shooter in Colorado was convicted of a violent crime and had a history of mental illness. Both are disqualifying factors in the ability to purchase a gun, yet he passed background checks. They even have a more stringent red flag law there. So clearly law enforcement either failed the background check, or they never entered the conviction and other information into the system so the background check would catch it. At some point law enforcement and the judicial system needs to be held accountable for being the root cause for why these people who shouldn't be able buy guns continue to be able to. Second to that, they prosecute hardly anybody (its a miniscule fraction of a percent) that lies on their background check form. All of this should be probable cause for a search of premises for guns. But they never do any of this. Its utterly ridiculous.

SnidelyWhiplash

Helluva Engineer
So here is where the rubber meets the road - the vast majority of the time, according to the law these people should not have guns. The shooter in Colorado was convicted of a violent crime and had a history of mental illness. Both are disqualifying factors in the ability to purchase a gun, yet he passed background checks. They even have a more stringent red flag law there. So clearly law enforcement either failed the background check, or they never entered the conviction and other information into the system so the background check would catch it. At some point law enforcement and the judicial system needs to be held accountable for being the root cause for why these people who shouldn't be able buy guns continue to be able to. Second to that, they prosecute hardly anybody (its a miniscule fraction of a percent) that lies on their background check form. All of this should be probable cause for a search of premises for guns. But they never do any of this. Its utterly ridiculous.

To close the loop on this, the Colorado shooter passed a background check. His previous violent conviction and history of mental illness was not in the system. Also, he used a semiautomatic AR-556 Ruger pistol. So changing background check laws and outlawing “assault rifles” wouldn’t have once again prevented this shooting...just like the others. The fix is right in front of us. You have to wonder what people’s motivations are when they knowingly propose ideas that wouldn’t change anything, but are “common sense”. We have to get serious and start holding the judicial system and law enforcement accountable. Crazy bewildering stuff.

4shotB

Staff member
These kids don’t have homes. They being raised by the village.
I have said this before but the one takeaway I have gained from teaching (in both public and private schools) is that it changed my paradigm. Prior to teaching, I was aware of all that I had accomplished and felt like it was all due to my own blood, sweat and tears. And that anyone else can do the same with proper application of those ingredients.

When I became a teacher and saw the home lives of some (bridging the entire socioeconomic spectrum btw) I realized how fortunate I was to have been dealt a good hand by God or fate or sheer randomness (I will let the reader decide). I came up in a stable, caring and supportive home life which therefore made the other things later in life much, much more achievable for me.

I am convinced if a child doesn't have this, their journey in life is going to be hard regardless of race, gender, religious affiliation, etc. Those with the "they can just pull themselves up by the bootstraps" crowd underestimate how difficult this is. While possible, I would estimate that maybe 1 child in 50 has the guts and drive to do this. remember, They have to make good choices when they are very young and stay committed to those through their childhood and teen years. I can say with certainty that I have did not have that as a boy or adolescent.

FWIW. I would say that a child's education is 80% home life and 20% the name on the building. Most of our kids are not getting the 80%. And those naive enough to think the government can fix or engineer solutions to these family issues are sorely misguided imo.

SnidelyWhiplash

Helluva Engineer
I have said this before but the one takeaway I have gained from teaching (in both public and private schools) is that it changed my paradigm. Prior to teaching, I was aware of all that I had accomplished and felt like it was all due to my own blood, sweat and tears. And that anyone else can do the same with proper application of those ingredients.

When I became a teacher and saw the home lives of some (bridging the entire socioeconomic spectrum btw) I realized how fortunate I was to have been dealt a good hand by God or fate or sheer randomness (I will let the reader decide). I came up in a stable, caring and supportive home life which therefore made the other things later in life much, much more achievable for me.

I am convinced if a child doesn't have this, their journey in life is going to be hard regardless of race, gender, religious affiliation, etc. Those with the "they can just pull themselves up by the bootstraps" crowd underestimate how difficult this is. While possible, I would estimate that maybe 1 child in 50 has the guts and drive to do this. remember, They have to make good choices when they are very young and stay committed to those through their childhood and teen years. I can say with certainty that I have did not have that as a boy or adolescent.

FWIW. I would say that a child's education is 80% home life and 20% the name on the building. Most of our kids are not getting the 80%. And those naive enough to think the government can fix or engineer solutions to these family issues are sorely misguided imo.

All the data supports this too. If you aren’t raised in a house with 2 parents, you’re 15-20x more likely to have a long list of issues from violent crimes to drugs to prison to living in poverty.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

Agree, to an extent.

That’s why I say it starts at home. Not blaming a child. But once you become an adult, you own your choices at that point.

I’ve seen this up close, too. It still comes down to choices. Choices of the parents to be in a committed relationship. Choices to value education. Choice to hold down a job. Choice to respect law and order. I’ve seen people who grew up “on the wrong side of the tracks” with a single Mom, but they didn’t wallow in victim hood. They slowly and steadily made choices to improve themselves.

What’s a more empowering message? You have the ability to change your life through better choices, or that you’re stuck in your current circumstance...you just drew a bad hand and weren’t “fortunate”? There’s way too much of the latter right now, and it’s destroying peoples lives.