Craig Neal

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seriously, if we had a choice: keep CBG or bring Noodles back home, is there anyone outside the Brian Gregory family who would say no?

His son who's a standout Fr on the team and people like me who'd prefer to see him build his own team/program first.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
His son who's a standout Fr on the team and people like me who'd prefer to see him build his own team/program first.

I'm not sure we'll be able to afford him if/when that happens.
and wasn't he a major part of the building of the program at UNM in the first place.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Of course he was...Just that if our job comes open in the next year or so I hope we land someone more proven than Neal. JMO though.

With that post, I wasn't taking sides one way or the other with him being GT's next coach. I was just making the point that it wasn't like he inherited a good team from out of the blue. He inherited a good team from having played a significant part in getting them to a good team.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm not sure we'll be able to afford him if/when that happens.
and wasn't he a major part of the building of the program at UNM in the first place.

I think we could afford him. By the way, can anyone confirm/deny that the new ACC TV money will benefit us in that regard?

Also, I'm sure no one gives our assistant coaches much credit for the squad we have even though they certainly contributed to building it. If Posterino left would any of y'all be up in arms? Nope, half the board probably only knows his name because of the DUI but he's a fairly accomplished name in SE recruiting circles. But because we want to pump up Noodles we're painting him as a savior.

I'm not directing this at you but I really think we need to pump our brakes a bit and give Alford the lion's share of the credit for building that program. I'm not saying Noodles is chopped liver.:cool: Just saying it's year 1 ... plus he's not leaving his son there to deal with the fallout from him leaving a program after a short time so it's not even in the realm of something we should be worrying about.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I think we could afford him. By the way, can anyone confirm/deny that the new ACC TV money will benefit us in that regard?

Also, I'm sure no one gives our assistant coaches much credit for the squad we have even though they certainly contributed to building it. If Posterino left would any of y'all be up in arms? Nope, half the board probably only knows his name because of the DUI but he's a fairly accomplished name in SE recruiting circles. But because we want to pump up Noodles we're painting him as a savior.

I'm not directing this at you but I really think we need to pump our brakes a bit and give Alford the lion's share of the credit for building that program. I'm not saying Noodles is chopped liver.:cool: Just saying it's year 1 ... plus he's not leaving his son there to deal with the fallout from him leaving a program after a short time so it's not even in the realm of something we should be worrying about.

Agree. I do not think he would leave. He is there for a while.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

He's son could always transfer with him.
I just think Neal is an option, remember I want Shaka Smart.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Realistically CBG has a couple more years. In 2016, if we have an opening, we will have a much better idea how good of a coach Neal is, and I believe we will be either done or that much closer to paying off Hewitt so money shouldn't be an issue.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Donnie Tyndall is a guy who would be an incredible hire next year if needed. Love this guy, helluva coach. What he did at Morehead St and now at So Miss is solid. He would flourish here.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You don't win NCAA conference tournaments simply by rolling basketballs on the court in front of teams with the best talent. Regardless of which head coach recruited and developed the team--and Craig was a big part of that staff--it takes significant coaching skill to have the success they've had.