CPJ's preseason optimism is different this year.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Here is my last thread contribution.

I have noticed that CPJ in his press conferences and in the preseason has repeatedly implied that he finally has the program into a shape that he has been intending since he got here. That is, he keeps pointing out that this is the first year he is happy with the balance of the classes and positional balance as demonstrated by the larger number of seniors and redshirt seniors as starters and on the depth chart. His premise is that teams which have that are generally better/more competitive than teams who don't.

Now, this is what I find interesting. He does not then add any caveats such as "but of course we have a sophomore QB who is starting for the first time" or "but we have a new Defensive Coordinator and breaking in a couple other new coaches who are working with these young men for the first time this year." I think these caveats are actually legit reasons to have tempered expectations. I am personally taking more of a hopeful and "show me" approach. But he does not mention these caveats at all. Rather, he leaves it at a) this team has the most senior depth since he got here and b) such teams usually are better.

Therefore, it looks like the next few seasons are where CPJ will really be evaluated, and that is fitting given the new AD just started. Bobinski will get to see CPJ in the next 2-3 seasons working most under the conditions CPJ has always said he was striving to create for the football program here. If he fails to get enough wins he will be let go (duh!), maybe even after just the next 2 seasons.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like this is a make or break year for CPJ. He's on his third DC, has only beaten uga once. However, he has gone to two ACC championships and won one. Still, though. I feel like he was a step up from CCG, but I feel like we could do better. Ideally, I would like to go out and get Chad Morris (OC from Clemson). I think Vad Lee could become one of the best QBs in the entire country in Morris's offense. I also think he could do a good job of recruiting here, seeing as he knows the Southeast very well and used to be a HS coach in Texas. Unfortunately though, Chad Morris seems like an unlikely hire to me. So instead, two more likely hires that I would be happy with are Willie Taggart (HC from USF) or Bob Stitt (HC from Colorado School of Mines; if you haven't heard of him, google him. He's supposed to be an offensive genius IMO similar to CPJ just a different offense).

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I have trouble seeing Bobinski firing CPJ after this season, his first on the job, unless the team has an epic collapse. So I would group this year plus next year as together being "make or break" for him.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I have trouble seeing Bobinski firing CPJ after this season, his first on the job, unless the team has an epic collapse. So I would group this year plus next year as together being "make or break" for him.
Agreed. Plus, his contract expires in 2016. I don't see Bobinski cutting it short barring an "epic collapse"... whatever that means.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Same here. 7-5 is worst case scenario in my mind, and if that happens I think CPJ gets one more year. That would be my preference anyway if worst case scenario plays out. I think CPJ has laid the groundwork for future success with the volume of redshirts, so despite the on-the-field outcomes the last few years I believe we still made net positive steps as a program.

Re: potential excuses for this year's team... I believe youth and new coaches are still somewhat realistic/valid excuses, but I think it would be highly inappropriate for CPJ to use those for the following reasons -
1) Youth was an excuse the last 2-3 years. While it's less than ideal that the QB is still a young'un CPJ has played the youth card too many times and he knows that eventually the youth has to "grow up". No team ever has 22 upperclassmen as starters.
2) The new coaches are the product of previous bad hires by CPJ. It's his job to hire the right people. While it's nearly impossible for any new coach to make a complete overhaul (see Nick Saban year 1 at Alabama for proof), the reason for new coaches is the lack of results. Lack of results and a 3rd DC doesn't give him the right to play "woe is me".

If CPJ uses either of the above excuses it will only increase tension among the fanbase that is growing tired of hearing it. CPJ isn't dumb; rather than hedging I'm sure he knows at this stage of the program it's better for the fans/media to discover those conclusions on their own rather than have CPJ discover/force feed those excuses to us.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Cuse,

I agree although I am more reticent about reading CPJ's mind as regards what he will or won't mention as an excuse. I have been struck by his consistency of opinion myself. That is, when he got here he talked about redshirting as his desire and strategy and has consistently looked at having seniors and redshirt seniors filling the two-deep as critical for having a high and continuous likelihood of success. I think he believes that is true of most, or even all college football teams.

So this year the change in what he says is distinct in that he consistently treats the team as exactly this kind of experienced and senior-heavy team that he has wanted all along. I have no clue if he would consider the caveats I mentioned of a young/new starting QB or new coaches as crutches or legit excuses. The fact that he doesn't mention them (remember I am the one who brought them up) suggests to me that he thinks the seniority part trumps all else. He expects this team to be better. Therefore, this year and then the next seem to me to be the make or break years of evaluation of him as head coach on his own terms, and that he would have no problem admitting as much to Bobinski if his boss were to look at it the same way.

This may be where his famous confidence comes in because although like all coaches he never makes predictions about results and wins/losses; he seems more willing than most coaches to give specific details on why he thinks his team should be good/improved. Most of the time coaches just give optimistic platitudes or try and hedge their bets as regards expectations.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Bruce, I buy everything you've stated. I agree it's speculation/trying to read minds regarding what thoughts cross CPJ's mind. Without question CPJ's #1a and #1b goals in media relations is to ensure he is a good representative of GT and say whatever psychologically gives our team an edge.

All that said it would be foolish to assume he does not think about his personal PR image. Just like any of us in our full-time jobs we strive to present ourselves in the best possible light to those who evaluate and judge us. At some point folks recognize at a certain level in their career the reasons don't matter anymore (i.e., results speak for themselves), and that's especially true for those at the highest levels of an organization.

So while that was somewhat of a tangent, ultimately I agree CPJ's message has been more positive. I think he has reason to be positive given the coaching changes, scheme changes, and the players he has to work with this year. I'm hoping and cautiously optimistic that no one will have to provide excuses for GT's on-the-field performance this year!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Even if we wet the bed and go 6-6 or 7-5 CPJ is here for at least one or two seasons after this. I hope we get 10 plus wins and the next few years are comparable, allowing CPJ to stay until he wants to retire.

SkyBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I will attend every game this year, home and away, to support our team and coaches and have had season tix since 1970. I thought for a minute about how to replyto this post. At first I thought it was a positive post about our improvement in athletes, recruiting, assistant coaches, attitude and team Chemistry. Boy was I wrong! Like some of the other boards it turned into a negative rant about our coach, him being fired and even his replacement. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been a Tech man since I was five years old and this is one of the best eras for football ever. Can it get betteer ...YES. I think it will. Our coach, that you talk about firing, has won more games in his first five years than ANY OTHER TECH COACH! And we still want to talk about firing our coach. No wonder I don't post to the boards that much!:yuck:
SkyBuzz

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I will attend every game this year, home and away, to support our team and coaches and have had season tix since 1970. I thought for a minute about how to replyto this post. At first I thought it was a positive post about our improvement in athletes, recruiting, assistant coaches, attitude and team Chemistry. Boy was I wrong! Like some of the other boards it turned into a negative rant about our coach, him being fired and even his replacement. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been a Tech man since I was five years old and this is one of the best eras for football ever. Can it get betteer ...YES. I think it will. Our coach, that you talk about firing, has won more games in his first five years than ANY OTHER TECH COACH! And we still want to talk about firing our coach. No wonder I don't post to the boards that much!:yuck:
SkyBuzz

Can you point out where I or others are being unreasonable? I'm pretty sure I clarified my optimism for this year, but I'm curious where you think this thread turned too pessimistic for you to handle.

Given your age you likely understand that folks may interpret the intent of a message board post differently i.e., my takeaway from the OP was that he finds it "interesting" that CPJ's optimism lacks the qualifiers we've heard in the past. I believe my posts respond to potential reasons for that.

Last edited:

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
As I have noted previously Georgia Tech's win-loss since 1970 is 273 - 230 - with 8 ties. This is the base on which Johnson, or any coach, has to build.
Percentage wise Johnson is ahead of the norm.

By comparison Tech is 270 - 161 - 17 in the years 1927 thru 1969. One can draw conclusions.

And I trust these numbers are not seen as a negative comment. They are what they are.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
SkyBuzz,

I am excited about Tech football this year as well.

My point was really just matter-of-factual. I have just noticed that it seems to be the case in CPJ's own mind that maybe from this year on the rubber meets the road according to his own view of what it takes to have sustained success at Tech. Have you noticed that change in the way he talks about the team? Maybe I am imagining this change or its too subtle. But my point is that if CPJ has the program in the kind of shape that he thinks is needed to have better teams and sustained success then that means the next couple of years will be exciting ones, one way or the other. Either CPJ will prove he was right or not. I kind of sway between being an optimist or pessimist about that so I will just enjoy watching what unfolds. But of course I want it to mean lots of wins and exciting games and a CPJ statue outside the stadium one day.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Sky -
I think you're reading in too much... I likely CPJ, just remember it is easier now to have more wins in 5 years when you play 12-14 games a year vs. 10-11 games.

Hope that CPJ wins regularly enough to get us into the Top 10 on the regular basis and beats the folks from Athens more often than not.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
SkyBuzz
I didn't mean for my comment to come across as pessimistic about the season. I'm actually quite the opposite. Last year, I was just had a really bad feeling about the year, but this year I've had a really good feeling about this year. I feel like this GT team will be the best under CPJ. I was trying to look at other options based on a few factors, those being new AD's sometimes like to bring in their own coaches and that after the last few years CPJ is on the hot seat IMO. Honestly, I've enjoyed the CPJ regime and hope it does continue. His offense is so much fun to watch, and again I think this team will be the best under CPJ thus far.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
SkyBuzz
I think everybody's perspective is based on when they starting being a fan. You started in a bleak era and it colors your perspective. Younger guys may have started in an era of success and in colors theirs. Guys older than you have one foot still in the Dodd era and the other foot in the pine box and have no patience like the younger guys.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
fwiw, I think that for some of us older guys, it seems crazy/negative to even speculate about CPJ being on the hot seat The 2010 and 2012 final record doesn't tell the story of what's happening with our team.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm 29 and I also think it's crazy. As I mentioned up top, despite the on-the-field outcomes the last few years I believe we still made net positive steps as a program. I hope MBob doesn't have the quick trigger that has been pervasive around the country in the last 10-12 years. Regardless I expect it'll be a moot point after this year's success.

For what it's worth at the time I thought the Al Groh hire was brilliant; turns out I was wrong. Similarly I feel good about the Ted Roof hire, but this time around I think I'm more knowledgeable/grounded around reasons for believing that.

I hope this post's tone is interpreted as optimistic/realistic despite discussing CPJ's status.