CPJ's Demeanor

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
you know, whats funny about this thread is it really shows who has no clue what it is like to play this game

if you think for one f-----in second being yelled at by a HC on the sidelines during a game impacts a player EVEN CLOSE to the private film room sessions with your teammates all watching the same thing, and your position coaches, or crap on the practice field, then you are <mod edit>. All you see is what the camera catches and its BS, so what. Everyone gets yelled at. PJ has no demeanor problem. And I don't even care for this guy. But jeez man, some of the things that happen in closed doors while you are undressed in film study is far worse than a stare because you are too tree hugger to handle what you see on TV

this whole thread makes me want to puke. It really does. My god is this what we have come to? You can't yell at a player on the sideline anymore? Wow. No one has any clue what happened, said or anything, its just...I don't like his demeanor and look.

Please

With Gailey it was "he doesn't ever get made enough" "that is not how a football coach should be he should be full of piss and vinegar"

now with paul is "its he is too demonstrative"

I swear. Holy crap. I need another drink

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Even if we wanted to do so, we cannot combine Dabo's personality and CPJ's ability. That's life.
Contrary to popular belief, Dabo isn't all happy-go-lucky with all his players all the time. I think it was their game versus FSU he was yelling at one (or more) of his players. Not that I blame Dabo either cause they were playing very poorly against FSU.

pckl300

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree...just looks like we are not playing with any emotion at times............no coaches running out and jumping on players for good players etc.....now at times we play well and then we just go into a funk......we played in a funk today.

We've been playing in a funk for years. When was the last time we played a quality opponent and really took it to them? Clemson 2011, by my regard. We owned that game from start to finish. That was the last time we played really well. If my memory serves me, I don't think we've played a complete game since then.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
you know, whats funny about this thread is it really shows who has no clue what it is like to play this game

if you think for one f-----in second being yelled at by a HC on the sidelines during a game impacts a player EVEN CLOSE to the private film room sessions with your teammates all watching the same thing, and your position coaches, or crap on the practice field, then you are <mod edit>. All you see is what the camera catches and its BS, so what. Everyone gets yelled at. PJ has no demeanor problem. And I don't even care for this guy. But jeez man, some of the things that happen in closed doors while you are undressed in film study is far worse than a stare because you are too tree hugger to handle what you see on TV

this whole thread makes me want to puke. It really does. My god is this what we have come to? You can't yell at a player on the sideline anymore? Wow. No one has any clue what happened, said or anything, its just...I don't like his demeanor and look.

Please

With Gailey it was "he doesn't ever get made enough" "that is not how a football coach should be he should be full of piss and vinegar"

now with paul is "its he is too demonstrative"

I swear. Holy crap. I need another drink

Simmer down man. Yes, coaches yelling at players is part of the game. I guess what I am trying to get at is do the players respect PJ? When he chews them out, public or private, do they think he is trying to make them better or do they feel he is more concerned about saving his job and his reputation as a coach. Like I said in the original post, I doubt that anyone knows this because no one on this board is inside the program.

For what it is worth, I like CPJ's style much more than Gailey's. CPJ will correct his players, get after them, and motivate them. Gailey was more hands off and let his assistants handle that stuff. For college, I would rather have a more hands-on coach.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Simmer down man. Yes, coaches yelling at players is part of the game. I guess what I am trying to get at is do the players respect PJ? When he chews them out, public or private, do they think he is trying to make them better or do they feel he is more concerned about saving his job and his reputation as a coach. Like I said in the original post, I doubt that anyone knows this because no one on this board is inside the program.

For what it is worth, I like CPJ's style much more than Gailey's. CPJ will correct his players, get after them, and motivate them. Gailey was more hands off and let his assistants handle that stuff. For college, I would rather have a more hands-on coach.

I am not responding to just you...i have seen this type of post on other boards for years

PJ has not lost this team

If he had a lost team they would not have fought back like they did last year after going like 0-3 or whatever etc....

Him chewing his players out is not cuz he is worred about his employment. He has well over 20 million in the bank and is near retirement age. He ain't hurting. Him yelling is his nature that we bought, and his way of stressing to the player importance of detail and execution. Its his method.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
No idea personally but I do think this depends on the player's personality too. CPJ clearly isn't the type to go out of his way to make every player like him and I'm sure he's quick to criticize you if you make mistakes. With that said though, CPJ has also been quick to defend his own players if they are criticized by outsiders.

Think of every player that we, as fans, criticized this season because they happen to make bad plays or whatever. You can probably find audio/video of him in his post-game presser, radio show, and/or weekly presser defending those players. In particular, CPJ has specifically defended Vad and Louis (and eve Jeremiah at the beginning of the season) multiple times this season.

This is true. Now that you mention it, he does go out of his way to defend his guys.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not responding to just you...i have seen this type of post on other boards for years

PJ has not lost this team

If he had a lost team they would not have fought back like they did last year after going like 0-3 or whatever etc....

Him chewing his players out is not cuz he is worred about his employment. He has well over 20 million in the bank and is near retirement age. He ain't hurting. Him yelling is his nature that we bought, and his way of stressing to the player importance of detail and execution. Its his method.

Gotcha, sorry about that. Good point about his contract, retirement age, etc. I am at least glad he is competitive and wants to win. He could easily just coast until his contract runs out or he got fired. To his credit, he doesn't seem to be giving up.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
like Woody Hayes, until he punched Charlie Buaman (Clemson) in the 1978 Gator Bowl.

Exactly, if a coach is winning and meeting fan expectations on the field, it's rarely a discussion topic unless it's clear and obvious the coach crossed the line.

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Well lets say I dont want a Muschamp on the sidelines yet PJ does give image that he goes overboard........of course folks this is high level football and when you make the cash PJ and others make.........you need every angle you have to get guys going.What I dont like is that the team at times just goes off in a funk no matter what happens.I think calling plays like he does hurts the total picture of the team since he is the overall coach not just the OC.GOL was not a friendly guy but he did rather well at every stop.Ross not the kindest man when you made mistakes either but like a post said.........when you are winning you dont care bout the demeanor of a Coach but lose and all hell breaks loose.Personally when I coached forty years ago in another world,I liked the fire them up attitude and keep them fired up but......if they mess up you get on them and when they do good you reward them...........Its football not a tea party.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I doubt that many, if anyone, will really know what the answer to this is, but does anyone know what it is like to play for CPJ? I'm not talking about how he comes across publicly with the media. We all know the answer to that. I would like to know if he is the kind of coach that his players rally behind or if it is all about him. From the outside looking in, he doesn't strike me as a player's coach. He seems like he is more to be feared than revered by his players. Every now then I will hear that inside the program, he is actually a nice guy that the players can relate to. However, he just does not come across that way publicly. Any thoughts?

I have worked with a lady for 23 years whose son played for PJ at Southern. This board's owners would not like for me to post what this coworker of mine thinks of PJ.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It doesn't matter what somebody said their kid thinks of CPJ. Kids make up whatever to their parents to cover up their shortcomings.

I had a guy work for me that played for CPJ short before being hired away by GT. Said the players loved him, but then again that guy started and wasn't riding the pine. I'm sure if he was getting crapped on repeatedly he'd have a different opinion.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I have worked with a lady for 23 years whose son played for PJ at Southern. This board's owners would not like for me to post what this coworker of mine thinks of PJ.

Oh no. Some parent didn't like their kid's sports coach. Stop the presses. I've never heard of such a thing.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
You wouldn't like it either.
I'm sure every player thinks they should be on the field and of course every player and their parent wouldn't like it either. That criticism is part of the coaching job. There's only 11 guys that can be out there on the field at any times. A coach shouldn't try to get everyone on the field just to prevent phone calls from angry parents. Maybe in little league but not at this level.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
You wouldn't like it either.

I honestly wouldn't care.

No offense to anyone involved but it's a lady, whom I've never met, talking about what she's heard from her son, whom I've never met, who played for a coach, whom I've also never met, at least 12 years ago. It's so far removed from the time and source it's completely meaningless. Not to mention the potential biases present. If there was any kind of meaningful trend there there'd be more.