CPJ's Demeanor

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt that many, if anyone, will really know what the answer to this is, but does anyone know what it is like to play for CPJ? I'm not talking about how he comes across publicly with the media. We all know the answer to that. I would like to know if he is the kind of coach that his players rally behind or if it is all about him. From the outside looking in, he doesn't strike me as a player's coach. He seems like he is more to be feared than revered by his players. Every now then I will hear that inside the program, he is actually a nice guy that the players can relate to. However, he just does not come across that way publicly. Any thoughts?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I doubt that many, if anyone, will really know what the answer to this is, but does anyone know what it is like to play for CPJ? I'm not talking about how he comes across publicly with the media. We all know the answer to that. I would like to know if he is the kind of coach that his players rally behind or if it is all about him. From the outside looking in, he doesn't strike me as a player's coach. He seems like he is more to be feared than revered by his players. Every now then I will hear that inside the program, he is actually a nice guy that the players can relate to. However, he just does not come across that way publicly. Any thoughts?
No idea personally but I do think this depends on the player's personality too. CPJ clearly isn't the type to go out of his way to make every player like him and I'm sure he's quick to criticize you if you make mistakes. With that said though, CPJ has also been quick to defend his own players if they are criticized by outsiders.

Think of every player that we, as fans, criticized this season because they happen to make bad plays or whatever. You can probably find audio/video of him in his post-game presser, radio show, and/or weekly presser defending those players. In particular, CPJ has specifically defended Vad and Louis (and eve Jeremiah at the beginning of the season) multiple times this season.

Last edited:

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can't think of one good play Bostic has made since being here. Zenon made one against MTSU a few years ago and that's about it for him.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't like his sideline demeanor at all. I hate how he dresses down players and asst on the side line on camera. He did it to Sims and Joe Ham today.
I want emotion but I think that behavior is poor for the head of a program and reflects badly on him.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree ATL1, you can treat kids like that at Navy because they get yelled at on a daily basis. They will eventually be defending our country. Saban does it to a certain extent but the players he has are expected to do great every play.

CSJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Of course but Saban is coaching a minor league nfl team in my mind. Tech is academics first school.
I'll give you that; Alabama has a very different school than we do, but I don't think 90% of our team is quite here as "academics first"; they're here on a football scholarship, and are expected to play good football for us to maintain that scholarship.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think little Joe muffed up calling a player off the field that was supposed to stay in and RG kept looking back to call him on the filed. Luckily we didn't have to burn a TO to get the player ready for the play.

As far a coach giving Sims the eys, etc. What' you expect him to do? Go and sarcastically tell him he did a grat job with the ole' block?

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll give you that; Alabama has a very different school than we do, but I don't think 90% of our team is quite here as "academics first"; they're here on a football scholarship, and are expected to play good football for us to maintain that scholarship.

I may not particularly care for CPJ's sideline demeanor, but to paraphrase him "He is what he is." And at least he isn't a Muschamp. Furthermore, he may not always be right, but he is always coach. Just as the Georgia Tech expects the very best from its students, CPJ expects the very best from his players 100% of the time. Nothing less will suffice at Georgia Tech. You perform or you are out.

Even if we wanted to do so, we cannot combine Dabo's personality and CPJ's ability. That's life.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I think little Joe muffed up calling a player off the field that was supposed to stay in and RG kept looking back to call him on the filed. Luckily we didn't have to burn a TO to get the player ready for the play.

As far a coach giving Sims the eys, etc. What' you expect him to do? Go and sarcastically tell him he did a grat job with the ole' block?
I don't think that was JoeHam

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know he expects the best out of his players, but two and three star athletes need to be coached up more than constantly chewing them out like he seems to do. When you hear him talk now about recruiting he seems to have given in to the fact that Tech is what it is. When he got here he talked the talk about how we would win big getting athletes out of the state of Georgia. It's like nobody told him how difficult recruiting at Tech was going to be. Our star player was a undersized walkon. For the life of me though I can't figure out why he can't get more interest from running backs who will get the ball in this offense?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Folks in the Boro like PJ yet he had some trouble there also.Everybody has a target on their back and Paul is no exception .My take on this is simple.If he is a motivator he will lbe successful no matter what happens and l dont see that on the sidelines anymore.PJ seems to be concerned ,and he should be,with just the offense and yes he knows who messed up and when and okay give them some grief but I think he is more concerned with the offense than the total impact of the total game .I thought when we got him we would stalemate georgie in recruiting but we have not and what concerns me is we are playing with his guys now and are still 7-6.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I can't think of one good play Bostic has made since being here. Zenon made one against MTSU a few years ago and that's about it for him.
Well Barry was everything in HS and made Jefferson County into a power but yeah he is light and has not played that much.As far as the good things he has been a capable pass reciver but yes my folks all over Jefferson County are wondering why he has not played last few games....

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any other coaches greeting the players as they come off the field to explain the importance of making blocks.
Agree...just looks like we are not playing with any emotion at times............no coaches running out and jumping on players for good players etc.....now at times we play well and then we just go into a funk......we played in a funk today.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
A coach should not berate a player on the sidelines. When a player is not playing well or making mistakes, he should be called to the sidelines. The coach should explain (teach) the player about his mistakes. If a player is not producing, there is no reason to embarass him in front of everyone. Merely pull him from the game, sit him on the bench. The coach can then have his position coach talk with the player and solve the problem. It does no good to embarass a player in front of everyone, it actually is detrimental to his effectiveness. He will not play as well when feeling depressed.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
A coach should not berate a player on the sidelines. When a player is not playing well or making mistakes, he should be called to the sidelines. The coach should explain (teach) the player about his mistakes. If a player is not producing, there is no reason to embarass him in front of everyone. Merely pull him from the game, sit him on the bench. The coach can then have his position coach talk with the player and solve the problem. It does no good to embarass a player in front of everyone, it actually is detrimental to his effectiveness. He will not play as well when feeling depressed.

Is this tongue in cheek? "He will not play as well when feeling depressed"? That made me laugh, you're kidding right?