CPJ

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Zone read option and veer option are blocked totally different. And Chip Kelly and the Eagles run a system similar to Auburn's.

Blocking is different (but not to hard to switch to as we saw GaSouthern do this weekend) , but for s skill player what you are asked to do is not much different. So there must be something besides scheme that keeps us from getting 5 star recruits. I wonder what that is?

That's assuming that the coach in place improves with winning which hasn't happened yet. I don't think that necessarily true overall. Does GT have disadvantages yes, but there are advantages as well. I think recruiting comes down to the commitment and salesmanship level of the staff in place starting at the top. CPJ probably isn't your salesman but Roof most likely is, but it took 6 season's for him to figure that out? At this point might as well ride with CPJ and hope, a younger more exciting coach probably make us a stepping stone gig, i.e. Vanderbilt. (O'Leary, Ross)
If everything I have heard is true, blame DRad for the recruiting woes, since he vetoed adding to the recruiting staff. And KUDOS to MBob for approving the additions.

"I believe in the team". What does that mean, exactly? You actually BELIEVE we are going to win every time we take the field, or you just really, really, really want us to win---like I did as a six year old fan at games back in the 50's? And, let me remind you there is no path of least resistance in being a Tech fan. You have me confused with the classic "front runner" fan like my brother-in-law that lives in Georgia, pulls for Alabama, but couldn't find Tuscaloosa with a Tom Tom. The fan that finds a team that is good, and then becomes a fan. I was born into a tech grad's family, so here I be. I bleed white and old gold, and I want Tech to be the best we can be. But I "believe" we get blown out this week. I "believe" what I see, and I just saw us give up over 500 yards to a team we had to pay to get them to come play us. Please don't question my allegiance, I've been through 1-9-1 and 3-8, 4-6 for three years straight. Being a Tech fan means way more than just believing we are going to win every time we lace them up.

Ok clearly you are the better Tech fan. Yes I do believe we can win every time we go on the field that doesn't mean that we will but I do believe we can.

You proved my point about path of least resistance. We were saying the same thing. Enjoy doom and gloom I choose to believe the fool who believes we win. Be consistent though don't start talking about how great the game was the next time we win. Live in the misery of future defeats. That makes you a better fan who truly understands what it means. I am just a "crazy" who believes we will win Saturday if we don't it won't stop me from believing we will the next one.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I have been a member of the board for almost a year and never posted. The content that is on this board is clearly the best and most positive for GT athletics. However, I was surprised following the GSU game at the harsh tone towards CPJ. I agree that his approach is not always the most endearing, but at the end of the day he deserves credit for getting some positive results. It shocks me the revisionist history we are having about the past. There is a lot of discussion of CPJ putting all the talent on offense and hurting the Defense, this was the exact same argument about O'Leary/Friegen when they were here and the defense struggled. What about the 1999 GT/UGA game in which should have won easily, but the defense struggled that day and gave up 48 points - yes a big interception in the end zone during OT, but we were up big and almost gave it away in spite of Joe Ham heroics. Who was the DC that day? Was O'Leary at fault for that performance.

CPJ is not perfect, but the GT recruiting environment is not perfect either. I believe that CPJ does struggle to get athletes, but in reality hasn't that been the case for a long time. Sure we get a strong class every once in awhile but even then it is rarely higher than 15th. The great part for me of being a tech fan is that we compete at a high level and promote more than simply football.

We wanted Gailey gone, now we want Johnson gone - do we just want to be a factory?

Yep, that would be a good goal to aspire to seriously.

Since you never get all you want, sometimes you must overcompensate to get what is actually correct and fair.

GT athletics deserves better than what has happened the last 4 years.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Heard this over and over....it does have an impact due to the coaches from other teams saying, "playing against that O won't get you ready for the NFL." I know this is not true, but the kids hear it over and over. I am excited about those 2, but we need many more for some to pan out.

Then you point to the three kids that got drafted from the defense last year who spent their whole college careers "playing against that O." It's not that difficult.

I'm sure the negative recruiting happens but, like everything else with this fan base, its effect is overstated.

I've seen plenty of fans rooting for the team to lose so the coach gets fired so in some way you could argue the opposite.

Last edited:
Yep, that would be a good goal to aspire to seriously.

Since you never get all you want, sometimes you must overcompensate to get what is actually correct and fair.

You mean like having losing streaks to Navy, Tulane, and Duke, in addition to going 0-1-1 against Furman (Curry), or losing 51-7 to the mutts and 51-7 to VT (Gailey)? Is that the kind of things you think GT athletics deserves?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Hire John Tenuta and everything is good again. He has single-handedly changed UVA's program from ACC-Cellar to ACC-Contender.

I'm half-kidding, half-serious. I like Roof, but I believe his defense's success requires more talent than Tenuta's. It's a coordinator's game in CFB and has been for a long time. It doesn't matter as much about the HC, it's the OC and DC that impact the game more. That's why I think CPJ should be a good choice for us. He's a 2-for-1 deal and we should have more money left over to make sure our DC is top-notch.

You mean like having losing streaks to Navy, Tulane, and Duke, in addition to going 0-1-1 against Furman (Curry), or losing 51-7 to the mutts and 51-7 to VT (Gailey)? Is that the kind of things you think GT athletics deserves?
The trans fat in those french fries have muddled your thinking, I fear. Digging back 30 years to make your point? Nobody wants Gailey. But the last four years minus the weak sisters are not impressive and the trend is downward.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hire John Tenuta and everything is good again. He has single-handedly changed UVA's program from ACC-Cellar to ACC-Contender.

I'm half-kidding, half-serious. I like Roof, but I believe his defense's success requires more talent than Tenuta's. It's a coordinator's game in CFB and has been for a long time. It doesn't matter as much about the HC, it's the OC and DC that impact the game more. That's why I think CPJ should be a good choice for us. He's a 2-for-1 deal and we should have more money left over to make sure our DC is top-notch.

Tenuta has definitely given UVA a personality. Second year in his system, and they're playing pretty strongly. By my calculations, they're #13 in raw points/drive allowed and that's after playing UCLA and Lou'lvul.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
@MWBATL :

"I do tire of those who complain about the realities of life....."

Your post makes a ton of sense and I definitely am with you on this point right here.

Btw, I love this thread because I have record amounts of "ignored content." It reads very amusingly to see the nice responses from fonts I read to those I don't. Ok, I will stop pointing this out but since I brought it up recently I couldn't resist.

Ok clearly you are the better Tech fan. Yes I do believe we can win every time we go on the field that doesn't mean that we will but I do believe we can.

You proved my point about path of least resistance. We were saying the same thing. Enjoy doom and gloom I choose to believe the fool who believes we win. Be consistent though don't start talking about how great the game was the next time we win. Live in the misery of future defeats. That makes you a better fan who truly understands what it means. I am just a "crazy" who believes we will win Saturday if we don't it won't stop me from believing we will the next one.

I am not a better fan, probably a terrible fan. Many have claimed "not a real fan" :) The misery is not in the defeats, it is in knowing, KNOWING we can and should do better. We rose from winning one game a year to winning the NC in ten years. Our tradition is exemplary in all of college athletics. To let it atrophy the way it is right now--that's the misery.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Then you point to the three kids that got drafted from the defense last year who spent their whole college careers "playing against that O." It's not that difficult.

I'm sure the negative recruiting happens but, like everything else with this fan base, its effect is overstated.

I've seen plenty of fans rooting for the team to lose so the coach gets fired so in some way you could argue the opposite.

I get calls from haters when we start losing telling me how I can keep supporting our team and coach? The humor I get from all this is all I wanted to do is to support our team and coach, good or bad. They can't understand that and think I'm stupid in my support. If we should get a new coach, fine. But I'm going to support him until we do. Call me a true stupid fan:D

I quit posting on another board because of all the misery, doom, despair and hate that becomes a poison that spreads that no good comes from it. I have no problem with those people's views but it all the same posts of hate (old stains just the same) with nothing to add. When you ask them (one in particular) who would you want to replace Johnson, all I get is "oh theirs someone out there":rolleyes:

The trans fat in those french fries have muddled your thinking, I fear. Digging back 30 years to make your point? Nobody wants Gailey. But the last four years minus the weak sisters are not impressive and the trend is downward.
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I am far more happy and confident overall now than I have been, other than ONE (AND ONLY ONE) year under Ross, and maybe 3 years under O'Leary. I personally think Tech is in as good shape now as we have been for all but maybe 4 out of the past 45 years. And I might remind you that those two blowouts suffered to Georgia and VT were 12 and 9 years ago, not the 30 years ago of the Curry years.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think we are going to see a different dynamic with GT Football in the coming years.

We have seen the team rally and take Wins when they needed to. We have seen our QB do what needed to be done to seal a win last week.

We have seen the D improve from the last few years ( I am the first to agree we have work to do here but we are looking up).

Coach seems to be more relaxed and a little bit of the old swagger is back.

#TogetherWeSwarm

I
I think we are going to see a different dynamic with GT Football in the coming years.

We have seen the team rally and take Wins when they needed to. We have seen our QB do what needed to be done to seal a win last week.

We have seen the D improve from the last few years ( I am the first to agree we have work to do here but we are looking up).

Coach seems to be more relaxed and a little bit of the old swagger is back.

#TogetherWeSwarm
I think we have the makings of a VERY SPECIAL QB in Justin Thomas, and that is very much of an upward trend. I personally think he is from the same mold as "little Joe" Hamilton. As has almost always been the case, it is up to the defense to give him the support he needs. I am not overly confident in this year's defense right now, but I sure as he'll haven't written the season off because of what I have seen thus far.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed. CPJ seems to be conservatively optimistic too about young Mr. JT's head being on right going into VT.

I am hopeful.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I get calls from haters when we start losing telling me how I can keep supporting our team and coach? The humor I get from all this is all I wanted to do is to support our team and coach, good or bad. They can't understand that and think I'm stupid in my support. If we should get a new coach, fine. But I'm going to support him until we do. Call me a true stupid fan:D

I quit posting on another board because of all the misery, doom, despair and hate that becomes a poison that spreads that no good comes from it. I have no problem with those people's views but it all the same posts of hate (old stains just the same) with nothing to add. When you ask them (one in particular) who would you want to replace Johnson, all I get is "oh theirs someone out there":rolleyes:

You mean these guys.....

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I am far more happy and confident overall now than I have been, other than ONE (AND ONLY ONE) year under Ross, and maybe 3 years under O'Leary. I personally think Tech is in as good shape now as we have been for all but maybe 4 out of the past 45 years. And I might remind you that those two blowouts suffered to Georgia and VT were 12 and 9 years ago, not the 30 years ago of the Curry years.

Totally agree.
Why do we never win 222-0 anymore or win the SEC championship :) The reality is that Tech is unlikely to ever have the same status as the distant past.
We all hope the next coach would bring Dodd-like results but many have tried and failed. In CPJ we have someone who upholds the academic side and we are rarely blown out by the factories. Also I think there is reason to believe he has learned how to be a better coach for Tech during his tenure (recruiting etc) and that the future is bright. The future may be brighter with someone else but the last few head coach hires don't make me optimistic.