CPJ

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Golden - here's the last part of a three part series I did putting CPJ's performance into a 70 year perspective. Before I did this, I was ready to have him leave. Now that I've thought more about the alternatives, I think we need to give him this and next year, e.g. to the end of his contract. http://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-odds-of-getting-a-better-coach-than-cpj.2524/

Whether CPJ stays or goes is probably going to be decided in large part on how many people buy tickets and the enthusiasm for the program. It is what it is.

Shouldn't he be gone then. I mean we are pretty irrelevant right now in our own city.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Now that Auburn is running an option offense similar to ours, we should look for their recruiting to fall off on both sides of the ball. All of the same negative recruiting techniques used against us can be used there now, right?

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Could you provide any evidence for warnings on those two points? If you want, I suspect that I can find warnings about whether his offensive scheme would work, which you did not include and which has been falsified imo.
Hard to have an honest, civil conversation with you. Denial is your right though I suppose.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Now that Auburn is running an option offense similar to ours, we should look for their recruiting to fall off on both sides of the ball. All of the same negative recruiting techniques used against us can be used there now, right?

First off, Auburns offense is in no way similar to ours. Totally different blocking schemes and plays. 2nd Auburn doesn't play with their feature backs hand on the ground.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not uncommon for decent programs to take a dip for a couple years. Although last season was not so good, I no longer feel we are in a downward spiral.

1. Recruiting has been far better this time around
2. We're undefeated right now.
3. Justin Thomas is a baller and he's going to get better. We've seen what happens when JT settles down and focuses. More in-game experience will certainly benefit him when it comes to being comfortable under center.
4. Conditioning has improved a great deal with the hire of Sisk
5. Special teams is no longer a train wreck
6. The attitude of the team seems to have changed. This year's team doesn't give up. They also seem to be very willing to learn from their mistakes. Jamal Golden admitted to "getting cocky" against Southern. I think we'll be taking VT very seriously!
7. For those who care, graduation of players has been one of PJ's major successes here.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
First off, Auburns offense is in no way similar to ours. Totally different blocking schemes and plays. 2nd Auburn doesn't play with their feature backs hand on the ground.

The offense we have is irrelevant, IMO. If this team can win, no one will question the damned offense. Matter of fact, if people had brains in their heads, they'd realize 30+ points a game usually indicates a good offense. Bottom line is that we'll have to hear about this crap until we start beating big teams. Defense needs to step it up big time.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

They run plenty of similar plays (like the TO), just not out of the flex. A run first, pass second offense that nobody in the NFL runs sounds more like us than UGA or Alabama. Auburn is not prepping a defensive player for the next level.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hard to have an honest, civil conversation with you. Denial is your right though I suppose.

That's not fair. There was nothing uncivil about my response.

Most of what I heard before he arrived was that his offense wouldn't work in the ACC. People would figure it out. There'd be a blueprint etc. All of that has proven to be false.

Now, you made a claim about two point that were being said about his system before he came that I had never heard. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if you have evidence.

Why do you have to take it personally. This is how reasonable people have conversations and change minds.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
When O'Leary was here, we sucked offensively in 94 till late 97, and that was because we got Friedgen back to run the offense. Wonder what the comments here would have been after the loss to Navy in '96. From 97 until 2000, the defense was so bad it couldn't hem up a sheep in a ditch. With Gailey, it seemed to switch between the two often in the same year. Remember when we only scored 6 against WF with Calvin and Chioice? Remember the 51 we gave up to uga and VT. Same sort of thing with Pepper, Curry, Lewis, and 3 of the 5 years Ross was here. But somehow, the fact that it's happening now is CPJ's fault and a new coach is going to fix all that even though the academic requirements are getting tougher. CPJ has beaten uga once and been with an eyelash three other times. Like Boomergump said a couple of weeks ago, the main decider in that series has been the qb play. I believe we are about to see that swing in our favor. VT has had to fight for their lives against us. I think that series, too, has been decided by qb play, and may be ready to shift in our favor. How about this, we keep a coach for a decade and see what he can develop. Firing them every few years has been proven not to work.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When O'Leary was here, we sucked offensively in 94 till late 97, and that was because we got Friedgen back to run the offense. Wonder what the comments here would have been after the loss to Navy in '96. From 97 until 2000, the defense was so bad it couldn't hem up a sheep in a ditch. With Gailey, it seemed to switch between the two often in the same year. Remember when we only scored 6 against WF with Calvin and Chioice? Remember the 51 we gave up to uga and VT. Same sort of thing with Pepper, Curry, Lewis, and 3 of the 5 years Ross was here. But somehow, the fact that it's happening now is CPJ's fault and a new coach is going to fix all that even though the academic requirements are getting tougher. CPJ has beaten uga once and been with an eyelash three other times. Like Boomergump said a couple of weeks ago, the main decider in that series has been the qb play. I believe we are about to see that swing in our favor. VT has had to fight for their lives against us. I think that series, too, has been decided by qb play, and may be ready to shift in our favor. How about this, we keep a coach for a decade and see what he can develop. Firing them every few years has been proven not to work.
I agree very strongly with this, especially the highlighted parts. On the last part, I've always contended that it takes much longer to "figure out" recruiting at GT than literally anyplace else, it is that unique and difficult a proposition. We're in yr 7 and it seems to many that the tide is turning in our favor on the recruiting trail. I'd like to see it continue rather than starting over from scratch with a new coach who has to learn it all from ground zero.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Winning more would solve all the issues.
Look sexy while winning, would help too.
JT looks as if he will help in this regard, if he can maintain control of his passing. I can forsee this team having a real dynamic offense, with some tweaking.
The defense I have no idea why we're so subpar.
It maybe that going against this offense does hurt some? Recruiting yes? This year in particular will be a challenge due to depth.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I agree very strongly with this, especially the highlighted parts. On the last part, I've always contended that it takes much longer to "figure out" recruiting at GT than literally anyplace else, it is that unique and difficult a proposition. We're in yr 7 and it seems to many that the tide is turning in our favor on the recruiting trail. I'd like to see it continue rather than starting over from scratch with a new coach who has to learn it all from ground zero.

That's assuming that the coach in place improves with winning which hasn't happened yet. I don't think that necessarily true overall. Does GT have disadvantages yes, but there are advantages as well. I think recruiting comes down to the commitment and salesmanship level of the staff in place starting at the top. CPJ probably isn't your salesman but Roof most likely is, but it took 6 season's for him to figure that out? At this point might as well ride with CPJ and hope, a younger more exciting coach probably make us a stepping stone gig, i.e. Vanderbilt. (O'Leary, Ross)

You are crazier than crazy. We get blown out each of the next 3 games.

Ok but at least I believe in the team. Attitude is definitely a choice. I do believe that we have more talent than others. I do believe we are going to win every time we step on the field. If I wanted to be practical like you I would choose the path of least resistance. That would make me an uga, al, flu fan. I am not practical I am a crazy fan - a sidewalk fan at that! What is your excuse.

Speaking of revisionist history... We were cruising in the game until Marvious Hester fumbled 2 punts and gave UGA favorable field position both times. Still you never felt like we were out of a game when O'Leary was here. Can't say the same for CPJ.

Fair point but the defense was not good that day or all year.

Ok but at least I believe in the team. Attitude is definitely a choice. I do believe that we have more talent than others. I do believe we are going to win every time we step on the field. If I wanted to be practical like you I would choose the path of least resistance. That would make me an uga, al, flu fan. I am not practical I am a crazy fan - a sidewalk fan at that! What is your excuse.
"I believe in the team". What does that mean, exactly? You actually BELIEVE we are going to win every time we take the field, or you just really, really, really want us to win---like I did as a six year old fan at games back in the 50's? And, let me remind you there is no path of least resistance in being a Tech fan. You have me confused with the classic "front runner" fan like my brother-in-law that lives in Georgia, pulls for Alabama, but couldn't find Tuscaloosa with a Tom Tom. The fan that finds a team that is good, and then becomes a fan. I was born into a tech grad's family, so here I be. I bleed white and old gold, and I want Tech to be the best we can be. But I "believe" we get blown out this week. I "believe" what I see, and I just saw us give up over 500 yards to a team we had to pay to get them to come play us. Please don't question my allegiance, I've been through 1-9-1 and 3-8, 4-6 for three years straight. Being a Tech fan means way more than just believing we are going to win every time we lace them up.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
They run plenty of similar plays (like the TO), just not out of the flex. A run first, pass second offense that nobody in the NFL runs sounds more like us than UGA or Alabama. Auburn is not prepping a defensive player for the next level.
Zone read option and veer option are blocked totally different. And Chip Kelly and the Eagles run a system similar to Auburn's.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
That's not fair. There was nothing uncivil about my response.

Most of what I heard before he arrived was that his offense wouldn't work in the ACC. People would figure it out. There'd be a blueprint etc. All of that has proven to be false.

Now, you made a claim about two point that were being said about his system before he came that I had never heard. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if you have evidence.

Why do you have to take it personally. This is how reasonable people have conversations and change minds.
Hard evidence? Sorry, forgot to save the message board archives from 2008 to my laptop for future reference. Come on dude, if you hadn't heard those criticisms, then you must have been under a rock. So why did teams quit running the option? Recruiting is why. And has CPJ ever had a top defense? No. Common sense and Google can tell you that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hard evidence? Sorry, forgot to save the message board archives from 2008 to my laptop for future reference. Come on dude, if you hadn't heard those criticisms, then you must have been under a rock. So why did teams quit running the option? Recruiting is why. And has CPJ ever had a top defense? No. Common sense and Google can tell you that.

It's everything everybody was saying but there's no evidence. Gotcha.