CPJ

I have been a member of the board for almost a year and never posted. The content that is on this board is clearly the best and most positive for GT athletics. However, I was surprised following the GSU game at the harsh tone towards CPJ. I agree that his approach is not always the most endearing, but at the end of the day he deserves credit for getting some positive results. It shocks me the revisionist history we are having about the past. There is a lot of discussion of CPJ putting all the talent on offense and hurting the Defense, this was the exact same argument about O'Leary/Friegen when they were here and the defense struggled. What about the 1999 GT/UGA game in which should have won easily, but the defense struggled that day and gave up 48 points - yes a big interception in the end zone during OT, but we were up big and almost gave it away in spite of Joe Ham heroics. Who was the DC that day? Was O'Leary at fault for that performance.

CPJ is not perfect, but the GT recruiting environment is not perfect either. I believe that CPJ does struggle to get athletes, but in reality hasn't that been the case for a long time. Sure we get a strong class every once in awhile but even then it is rarely higher than 15th. The great part for me of being a tech fan is that we compete at a high level and promote more than simply football.

We wanted Gailey gone, now we want Johnson gone - do we just want to be a factory?

I have been a member of the board for almost a year and never posted. The content that is on this board is clearly the best and most positive for GT athletics. However, I was surprised following the GSU game at the harsh tone towards CPJ. I agree that his approach is not always the most endearing, but at the end of the day he deserves credit for getting some positive results. It shocks me the revisionist history we are having about the past. There is a lot of discussion of CPJ putting all the talent on offense and hurting the Defense, this was the exact same argument about O'Leary/Friegen when they were here and the defense struggled. What about the 1999 GT/UGA game in which should have won easily, but the defense struggled that day and gave up 48 points - yes a big interception in the end zone during OT, but we were up big and almost gave it away in spite of Joe Ham heroics. Who was the DC that day? Was O'Leary at fault for that performance.

CPJ is not perfect, but the GT recruiting environment is not perfect either. I believe that CPJ does struggle to get athletes, but in reality hasn't that been the case for a long time. Sure we get a strong class every once in awhile but even then it is rarely higher than 15th. The great part for me of being a tech fan is that we compete at a high level and promote more than simply football.

We wanted Gailey gone, now we want Johnson gone - do we just want to be a factory?

I am not sure why you would say the 1999 game was a game we should have won "easily", but I do still like watching that video. Was O'Leary at fault for allowing Georgia to score 48 points? Maybe not at fault, but certainly defense falls within the scope of the Head Coach's responsibilities. I think at this point in time, O'Leary's body of work, at Tech and elsewhere, can stand on its own merit compared to Paul Johnson's.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't want CPJ gone, and I think a lot of people here support him. Nevertheless, you make some very good points.

I think we can still have a very good season even with a suspect D. I think that they will get marginally better as the year goes on, and JT & the O will get A LOT better.

I want to win enough this year for us to keep CPJ. I definitely think we have some defensive talent coming in as recruits that will help a lot. I'm also hoping that JT turns into the next Joe Ham.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Johnson has put up similar results as Chan with, in my opinion, lesser talent. While he has been able to get a hidden jewel from time to time, he has struggled to land good recruiting classes top-to-bottom and has not fielded a respectable defense since he has been here. He has also been very myopic with his offense and, for a long time, refused to hire a special teams coach. I am not delusional enough to believe he is going anywhere. I think Johnson is going to be here for a while. But while it is nice to upset a #5 Clemson team every few years, it is frustrating to watch us struggle against lesser teams, be non competitive against Miami and VT, and beat UGA only once every 15 years.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of hysteria after that game Saturday. In my opinion just a total mental letdown in the second half, but guess what.....WE WON!! As I recall we almost lost to Gardner Webb in 08 and then went on to beat UGA. We can win 8 or 9 games this year. Chill folks!!!

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
As DCS's poll showed, most fans still support CPJ but he has got to fix the defensive side of the ball or it's ultimately going to be his demise at GT. Outside of his first year, which he inherited some really good talent on the DL, we've been really bad on defense every year.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
I really like and have liked CPJ. I also think his offense could work at this level even more consistently than it has showed. However, he hasn't recruited the talent to run it. I understand the limitations in our ability to recruit, but at the end of the day schools like Duke and Stanford are now getting the talent to compete.

On defense, I love coach Roof but it's the same story (talent).

Get the talent = keep coaching. Don't get the talent = adios

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One thing that impressed me is that the camera guy kept panning over to CPJ after every single GSU score, trying to catch him blowing a gasket. He never did, not once. (not even the Pelton discussion which was heated)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
In my opinion, there are fans that never liked the hire, so they go out of their way to criticize because they want to be able to say "I told you so". These are typically the guys you don't see post much until something goes wrong for GT.

I'd feel better if they'd just come clean about it. Nothing really wrong with feeling that way (we're not required to like everybody), but don't try to be all 'stealthy' about it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I really like and have liked CPJ. I also think his offense could work at this level even more consistently than it has showed. However, he hasn't recruited the talent to run it. I understand the limitations in our ability to recruit, but at the end of the day schools like Duke and Stanford are now getting the talent to compete.

On defense, I love coach Roof but it's the same story (talent).

Get the talent = keep coaching. Don't get the talent = adios

If you look at the numbers, our offense has still been very good, top 25, most seasons, even after 2009. Of course, in 2009 we were top 5 or something like that. Our D has performed worse than its talent level, imo.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am hoping the D issue is more defending the option. I did not like the scheme. But, we still have DUKE to play. Don't they have an option game?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Golden - here's the last part of a three part series I did putting CPJ's performance into a 70 year perspective. Before I did this, I was ready to have him leave. Now that I've thought more about the alternatives, I think we need to give him this and next year, e.g. to the end of his contract. http://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-odds-of-getting-a-better-coach-than-cpj.2524/

Whether CPJ stays or goes is probably going to be decided in large part on how many people buy tickets and the enthusiasm for the program. It is what it is.

Golden - here's the last part of a three part series I did putting CPJ's performance into a 70 year perspective. Before I did this, I was ready to have him leave. Now that I've thought more about the alternatives, I think we need to give him this and next year, e.g. to the end of his contract. http://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-odds-of-getting-a-better-coach-than-cpj.2524/

Whether CPJ stays or goes is probably going to be decided in large part on how many people buy tickets and the enthusiasm for the program. It is what it is.

Thanks to everyone for the reasonable replies. I think it seems we all agree that CPJ is our coach and we all seem to support our team winning which seems obvious but was not so clear on Saturday. Call me crazy but my money is on the Jackets Saturday. I still feel good about this team.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I liked the hire. I even sent DRAD emails asking for the hire, but with that said, I came to a final epiphany last year that got me off PJ's wagon, and that is I do not believe he can recruit even to a level that GT is capable of, because of the perception about his system. I like him, and as I have stated over and over and over again, if his talent level was within 25% of the big boys, we would be doing some major beating down IMO. BUT IT IS NOT. Our talent level overall is at what I believe to be 35-40% less than the big boys, and on the defensive line, it is more like 45-50% less. This will not create a competitive team against the best teams, IMO.

So with all of that said, I really like PJ, and I believe his system could work well for GT, but only if he could overcome the recruiting disadvantage that I believe his system has added to an already difficult situation. I don't want to hear about "stars", because my eyes can see that most of the 3-star guys we are getting, especially on D, are on the lower end of the grouping.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I liked the hire. I even sent DRAD emails asking for the hire, but with that said, I came to a final epiphany last year that got me off PJ's wagon, and that is I do not believe he can recruit even to a level that GT is capable of, because of the perception about his system. I like him, and as I have stated over and over and over again, if his talent level was within 25% of the big boys, we would be doing some major beating down IMO. BUT IT IS NOT. Our talent level overall is at what I believe to be 35-40% less than the big boys, and on the defensive line, it is more like 45-50% less. This will not create a competitive team against the best teams, IMO.

So with all of that said, I really like PJ, and I believe his system could work well for GT, but only if he could overcome the recruiting disadvantage that I believe his system has added to an already difficult situation. I don't want to hear about "stars", because my eyes can see that most of the 3-star guys we are getting, especially on D, are on the lower end of the grouping.

What do you mean by "his system" when you say, "I believe his system could work well for GT, but only if he could overcome the recruiting disadvantage"? Do you mean his offense? If so, how would you define "working well"? Or do you mean his effect on whatever defensive scheme (we're now on our third) we're using?

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing that impressed me is that the camera guy kept panning over to CPJ after every single GSU score, trying to catch him blowing a gasket. He never did, not once. (not even the Pelton discussion which was heated)
I was at the game and noticed this too. In his first year here, he blew a lot of gaskets. I kind of wish he still would from time to time, but he has seemed to mellow in the last few years.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

How does his offensive (tic) system affect recruiting of defensive players? The number of D players we put in the NFL seems pretty high right now. That should matter the most to many recruits.

I also think we are recruiting better. We have a lot of Fr in the 2 deep and will have a bunch next year. When Fr are playing over experienced players, that seems to be a good indication that recruiting is getting better. (Hint: Henderson and Glanton)

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow

Personally, I can't see him leaving and having us hire some other coach who, should they be successful, would use us as a pass-through to a factory coaching opportunity.
As you mentioned in the post you linked to, CFB has changed since the Dodd days and Tech doesn't emphasize the sport the same way that others do, and especially not the way that SEC teams do. And it isn't just Tech. It wasn't that long ago when Boston College, Syracuse, SMU and the like were all contenders. The one thing that may change the model in the future would be player compensation or player unions. Should collegiate players become professionals, a lot of schools wouldn't go there because of a range of problems. A multi-tiered system may emerge, looking more like the baseball model. If that happens, you might see schools like us consistently compete for championships again.