CPJ was on 92.9 this morning

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just one question, how can you have 3 top 10 but yet only 1 top 20? :D
I understood 3 are in top 10 and 4th is in top 20 but then i am captain misspelled!

The Ga tech Clemson games in 2014 was a classic ol dl battle. Our offense fought them to a draw with some long runs by our backs. Shaq was like a bulldozer. I hope we see parker in space making key blocks.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We definitely do, just not as frequently. The entire first series here is midline triple. Note how the tackle and guard both release for second level blocks.
See here for some more evidence
So much can be learned watching this series. On the second play, you see how fast the reads are and how good JT is at it. It also shows how the play opens up with good perimeter blocking. The wr cracks the safety and there's a massive alley to run through. Contrast that with the 3rd play in the series that results in a TFL. The wr misses the safety who ends up having a free run to the ball and makes the tackle in the backfield. Two proper reads, one made block, one missed... all the difference in the world. Btw, that 3rd play would have gone for huge yards had BS made the block on the safety.

This is why I love our O. It's fascinating to break down film (better if LD does it for me!!!) and see what leads to a big gain and what leads to a busted play. Sometimes it's such small things either way...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So much can be learned watching this series. On the second play, you see how fast the reads are and how good JT is at it. It also shows how the play opens up with good perimeter blocking. The wr cracks the safety and there's a massive alley to run through. Contrast that with the 3rd play in the series that results in a TFL. The wr misses the safety who ends up having a free run to the ball and makes the tackle in the backfield. Two proper reads, one made block, one missed... all the difference in the world. Btw, that 3rd play would have gone for huge yards had BS made the block on the safety.

This is why I love our O. It's fascinating to break down film (better if LD does it for me!!!) and see what leads to a big gain and what leads to a busted play. Sometimes it's such small things either way...
The 4th play shows the genius of CPJ. It's the same play as the 2nd but this time it's Lynch getting the pitch. The big difference is the blocking assignments. This time the wr takes the corner and the tackle takes the safety, they swap assignments from play 2. The playside Aback does a great job on the MLB, too. Great concept, great execution, touchdown.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
We definitely do, just not as frequently. The entire first series here is midline triple. Note how the tackle and guard both release for second level blocks.

I had not realized until rewatching that that the whole first series was midline triple. I noticed early on the wrinkle PJ threw in by having Klock block the corner (and he did a pretty decent job getting out there).
On the snap before Lynch's TD, B Stew didn't get a block but they may have had numbers out there anyway. It looks like Qua threw a good block to give Clinton an alley on the TD.
Triple out of the midline isn't something PJ calls a lot. Against a team with lesser athletes, that might have been just a one or two play drive because they were clearly stumped out there.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow

I’d argue that the first 4 plays are standard inside veer / “triple option” plays. The defense is 3-4 with the 2 OLB brought down to the line. We option the 2 playside players on the line (DE and OLB).

Please know this is just how I see it, I’m certainly no expert, but I think a true mid-line triple would require that we option the DT lined up over our center and the DE.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
That's why this offense can be so fun to watch and rewatch, just for the little curveballs PJ throws in. Like in the Orange Bowl, where we were running belly/zone and a little bit of triple and then PJ goes midline (with different blocking from the ABs on each of the TDs, IIRC) and JT is leaving them in the dust.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I had not realized until rewatching that that the whole first series was midline triple. I noticed early on the wrinkle PJ threw in by having Klock block the corner (and he did a pretty decent job getting out there).
On the snap before Lynch's TD, B Stew didn't get a block but they may have had numbers out there anyway. It looks like Qua threw a good block to give Clinton an alley on the TD.
Triple out of the midline isn't something PJ calls a lot. Against a team with lesser athletes, that might have been just a one or two play drive because they were clearly stumped out there.
The OL did a really nice job preventing penetration giving JT room to move. Unfortunately, that's been a rare commodity lately.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This slows it down and talks about the change in blocking assignments for this game. I would like to see this change in blocking assignments more...

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d argue that the first 4 plays are standard inside veer / “triple option” plays. The defense is 3-4 with the 2 OLB brought down to the line. We option the 2 playside players on the line (DE and OLB).

Please know this is just how I see it, I’m certainly no expert, but I think a true mid-line triple would require that we option the DT lined up over our center and the DE.

I don't know if I've seen us option a 0 or 1 technique (over the center or A-gap) at any point. Option count starts at the tackle for a normal inside veer play. Midline option count should start inside the B-gap (guard and tackle). It is a little harder than usual to tell, because we are running tight splits and they don't actually cut to the play before it starts (what crappy editing), so you might be right as well. In fact, upon review I might call the TD to lynch inside veer because their alignment is wider and definitely over the tackle instead of in the B-gap.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If you cannot block the DT, the option is in trouble. The midline could work, if you can block the DE.
I don't know how that plays out technically speaking, but we can be pretty certain that now that Venables goes two-deep, quality deep, across his defensive front, every down will be a jailbreak from LBs and corners and looping his tackles who can really move. I think Foster at VT is really good, but Venables seems a step better and more creative. No matter who is at QB Clemson has a couple of first rate running backs so this year the offense can bail out defensive mistakes, and it couldn't in 2017. I'd like to watch this matchup not being invested in the outcome.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know if I've seen us option a 0 or 1 technique (over the center or A-gap) at any point. Option count starts at the tackle for a normal inside veer play. Midline option count should start inside the B-gap (guard and tackle). It is a little harder than usual to tell, because we are running tight splits and they don't actually cut to the play before it starts (what crappy editing), so you might be right as well. In fact, upon review I might call the TD to lynch inside veer because their alignment is wider and definitely over the tackle instead of in the B-gap.

Agreed, you’d never leave the 0 or 1 technique unblocked...they are too close to the ball. I guess I just don’t see how the blocking scheme would change with a midline vs. and inside veer on those plays with that particular defensive alignment. (Meaning how the play call would change who is unblocked.)

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
IIRC you typically run midline into a 2/3, veer into a 1. Midline into a 1 might get your QB killed, especially if you are doing it to avoid blocking a homewrecker.

We used to run this as a check-with-me.