CPJ vs. CGO

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Saw this on another board and thought I'd share -

CPJ has now coached the exact same number of games at Georgia Tech as George O'Leary, 85 total games.

George O'Leary finished his coaching at Tech with a 52-33 record for a 61.2% winning record.
With the win over Miami , CPJ is 53-32 for a 62.4% winning record.

Not apples to apples, but over the course of 85 games, pretty interesting.
I still think I'd take O'leary since he beat the inbreds 3 times in a row.

PJ4Prez

Georgia Tech Fan
Some noticeable apples to oranges comparisons with this. The gaggers were nowhere near the level under Donnan as they are now under Richt. The SEC machine for that matter was nowhere near what it is now. Another is that the atmosphere academically regarding the football team is much different mainly as a result from flunkgate with CGO. These make it much tougher on GT to maintain success under CPJ.

CPJ > CGO

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I love both of them but O'Leary took over a program in shambles and steadily built it up into a juggernaught. Plus, O'Leary already knew the ropes at Tech from his previous stint.

CPJ, inherited some significant talent but got his butt handed to him on the recruiting trail the first few years.

The book is closed on O'Leary - one of the best coaches we've been blessed with. I have little doubt that CPJ will be remembered at least as fondly following the conclusion of his tenure here.

When you really think about it, the coaching staffs we have had at Georgia Tech have to be in the top ten in all of college football if not the top 5. Or even top 3.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
O'Leary was good, but he did want to be here. Notre Dame was his dream job. He complained about academics and he never understood that academics is more important than sports at GT. CPJ understands the academic side coming from Navy. CPJ is putting together a good program with more difficult academic restrictions than O'Leary had deal with during his tenure.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary was good, but he did want to be here.
Since GOL isn't here to address the question, it will be left to us to speculate but it was never my understanding that GOL didn't want to be here. He had a "Notre Dame" escape clause written into his contract but, as far as I know - not sure how far that really is or isn't, he had no desire to leave Georgia Tech to coach anywhere else not named Notre Dame.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think CPJ is coaching in a much tougher environment than GOL did. Tougher academic restrictions, APR rules, better UGA team, and overwhelming SEC media hype make things a lot tougher these days.
Agree. Ugag was going through the Golf/Donnan years, Clemson were in the Bowden tenure, and VT/UM were a distant dream. He did have to play FSU though. I could be off a few years with my fuzzy memory.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Personally, I think CPJ is coaching in a much tougher environment than GOL did. Tougher academic restrictions, APR rules, better UGA team, and overwhelming SEC media hype make things a lot tougher these days.
The ACC then was probably more mediocre then than the stigma it gets now. There was FSU and there was a few years where UNC was good with Mack Brown and a few years where UVA was good but not at the same time as UNC. Those were really the only teams we had to compete with in the ACC.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I have been on the fence with CPJ pretty much from the beginning.
Obvious improvements so far this year both on the field and with the program recruiting-wise.
Hard to compare apples-apples, I think today O'leary is past his prime.
If I could pick the O'leary/Friedgen combination from the late '90's, I'd take that over today's CPJ.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we're honest, Fridge beat the dwags three times. O'Leary did nothing before or after Friedgen.
I still think Fridge should've been hired when Ross left for the Chargers. Many on the team wanted that too (or thought maybe GOL), and most were REALLY surprised by the hire.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary is on record saying one of his biggest mistakes was leaving GT for Notre Dame. He's an Irish Catholic and Notre Dame is the pinnacle of the college profession in his eyes. Can't fault him for that. After the resume-gate, I remember him saying something to the effect of "Notre was my dream job, but I lost one of the best jobs to go to Notre Dame." O'Leary is still very fond of GT, and he brought up GT shortly after beating UGA in a bowl game a few years ago to kinda twist the knife in the dogs.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I will always love CGOL. I really, really, really, wanted to hire him back after flunk gate. Our idiot AD wouldn't consider it and most Tech fans were too butt hurt over his decision to jump to Notre Dame to push for it. He was great for GT and I have many fond memories from his era. Pull for him wherever he goes and really happy with his success at CF. Deserves a place of honor at GT imo. So does Ross. So does Fridge.

And I love CPJ just as much. We are fortunate to have CPJ here. The number of coaches out there I'm confident could do as well is very small.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm a fan of CPJ for his competitiveness, his offense, and his commitment to doing things the right way. Still, I think CGO gets the clean ole fashioned hate a little bit more.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I liked O'Leary a lot and wish he never left. I think he would have done better than CPJ so far. When you look at a team's power rankings which normalize for the time, GOL was the second best we have had since Dodd in the last 70 years. http://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-comparing-teams-under-different-coaches.2501/

Plus we would have avoided the Gailey years.

Now CPJ may end up doing better than GOL before it's over; we can only hope! This year our power ranking is currently 71%, but the year ain't over ......... (Kenny Rogers had a thought on this one ...... )

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I liked O'Leary, but he left. I liked Fridge also and like others said, he had a big part in the success at GT. CPJ is our coach now. I guess I really don't understand trying to compare the coaches. Too many variables.