CPJ talks Ole Miss

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
This is a rule that I would like to see changed
I think it would be fine for the regular bowls as they don't really mean much in the grand scheme, but I would not be in favor of allowing redshirts to play in post-season games that count like the MNC or the new playoffs. If you're playing for the national championship, you should play with the team that earned the national championship game. Otherwise, you have 2 different teams playing for the championship than played the whole season.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I feel like Sisk has been a huge upgrade.
I think Coach Ciano was excellent. I know nothing about the guy who was promoted for a short time when he left. I know high school coaches around the state (even the uga fan ones) who would go to Coach Ciano rather than the ugag S&C guys for their programs.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Coach Ciano was excellent. I know nothing about the guy who was promoted for a short time when he left. I know high school coaches around the state (even the uga fan ones) who would go to Coach Ciano rather than the ugag S&C guys for their programs.

he was and two coaches before him Coach Omer was awesome as well

the new guy we have now is supposed to be good but I don't know him

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think it would be fine for the regular bowls as they don't really mean much in the grand scheme, but I would not be in favor of allowing redshirts to play in post-season games that count like the MNC or the new playoffs. If you're playing for the national championship, you should play with the team that earned the national championship game. Otherwise, you have 2 different teams playing for the championship than played the whole season.

I completely agree. I think allowing red shirts to play in non BCS or Playoff bowls/games would help upcoming teams be more competitive. I think some game experience and teaching moments on film would benefit players and teams that are not fighting for a championship, and increase the competition level for the next year.

Hunter513

Georgia Tech Fan
Would like to see as many guys as possible get some playing time. Nothing on the line so let um play and see what they can do.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Good Point

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see Robbins on the 2 deep next year, the young D linemen have a huge upside!
I hope you are right about the new kids. We need a lift along the line. I am about half way through the UGA game defensive series right now. We need help!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hoping Gamble can come in at end and make some noise next year. D-line next year is a huge concern. Thank God Gotsis is returning.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Hoping Gamble can come in at end and make some noise next year. D-line next year is a huge concern. Thank God Gotsis is returning.

I know i may be in the minority but it seems to me all our returning dE fit a sde profile vs edge rusher. Even the guys that are smaller in the 245 range are not 5 yard explosive and powerful like we need. We will really need to manufacture pressure ala tenuta to a degree.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I know i may be in the minority but it seems to me all our returning dE fit a sde profile vs edge rusher. Even the guys that are smaller in the 245 range are not 5 yard explosive and powerful like we need. We will really need to manufacture pressure ala tenuta to a degree.

I agree (if I understand you correctly) that WDE is the biggest question mark on our DL for next year. We've got some more known (to some degree) quantities at DT and SDE. However, I'm really intrigued by Tyler Stargel and Nick Menocal. I've seen Menocal show flashes, and Stargel has beat him out on the depth chart. I also like Anthony Williams, but I have a feeling that he's gonna be gone (hope I'm wrong). My wag at DL next year:
SDE Pat Gamble, Roderick Chungong
DT Shawn Green, Francis Kallon
NT Adam Gotsis, Jimmie Kitchen
WDE Tyler Stargel, Anthony Williams, Nick Menocal

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree (if I understand you correctly) that WDE is the biggest question mark on our DL for next year. We've got some more known (to some degree) quantities at DT and SDE. However, I'm really intrigued by Tyler Stargel and Nick Menocal. I've seen Menocal show flashes, and Stargel has beat him out on the depth chart. I also like Anthony Williams, but I have a feeling that he's gonna be gone (hope I'm wrong). My wag at DL next year:
SDE Pat Gamble, Roderick Chungong
DT Shawn Green, Francis Kallon
NT Adam Gotsis, Jimmie Kitchen
WDE Tyler Stargel, Anthony Williams, Nick Menocal

yes you understand me correctly, and what I would say is from what I have seen from stargel, menocal or williams is not worthy of an upper echelon BCS starting WDE....i hate to be harsh, but I think I am right here. Big dropoff from them to attouchou who wasn't even a pure WDE

bottom line anyone can start and get a few stats here and there. But to where we want to go as a team this slot really concerns me....i also think commissiong (sp?) may be in the 2deep at tackle.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
yes you understand me correctly, and what I would say is from what I have seen from stargel, menocal or williams is not worthy of an upper echelon BCS starting WDE....i hate to be harsh, but I think I am right here. Big dropoff from them to attouchou who wasn't even a pure WDE

bottom line anyone can start and get a few stats here and there. But to where we want to go as a team this slot really concerns me....i also think commissiong (sp?) may be in the 2deep at tackle.

Yeah, I think we're pretty much in agreement, except I'm perhaps an optimistically shaded question mark (not yet optimistic).

I also wonder whether Akins might end-up as a WDE. He had a pretty decent pass rush in High School, if I recall correctly, lined-up next to a kid who got all the press.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think we're pretty much in agreement, except I'm perhaps an optimistically shaded question mark (not yet optimistic).

I also wonder whether Akins might end-up as a WDE. He had a pretty decent pass rush in High School, if I recall correctly, lined-up next to a kid who got all the press.

nah we have a pure pass rusher problem. and we have a youth issue. but we dont have a big body issue. if i had to choose my weakness you cant compensate for size in scheme but you can in pure pass rusher or even youth. roof will need to complicate his d a tad with a few more blitzes and zone schemes. i would not be against starting 2 big sde types and 2 dts with bring backers or zone dogging more if those 4 on the dl are better than hunting for another derrick morgan or mike johnson.

it took 6 years but i finally like our bodies although young, on the dl

but we missed on pass rushers.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if any of our true freshman (current commits) might step up as a pass rusher?

not as an everydown player....too rare to have a true fresh come in and be physically and mentally ready to do that. Very rare/special types do it. You really only see it 1 time every year or two in all of NCAA football at the competitive BCS level....

but as a situational 3rd and long and in spots...sure its possible.