CPJ Saturday practice notes

Well, to be fair, isn't the Belk Bowl coming up much sooner on the calendar than the Orange Bowl? (t-i-c)

22 hours earlier. hardly enough difference in time for them to get sole coverage. Even if it were a week before the Orange Bowl, I know the Augusta paper well enough to know they would have something every day about the mutts, and after they played they still wouldn't have anything about Tech.

AugustaJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Your neighbors are dwags? Are they tenants or do you live next to a trailer park?

LOL...they don't fit the typical stereotype......much. Non-grads (go figure), although one of their spouses is. Somewhat obnoxious, but not the worst by any means. Typical "SEC Bubble"-type fans though who know very little outside of that world. One told me (post FSU over BC) that Vandy could beat BC. I actually halfway believe he was kidding, but I am not certain. ;-)

Edited to say that the other one's Dad is a GT grad.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I take it that you agree that the national media carries the water for Liberals

aVZgT.gif

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Ah ha.....those damned capitalists. #policelivesmatter #sharptontheracebaiter #dontbreakthelawandyouwontgethurt
#define STACK_SIZE 256
#whatsaparser
#contextfreegrammarsoutofcontext
#stuffthatannoyscomputerengineers

I appreciate what you did there. I also whole heartedly approve of making fun of people who attempt to communicate opinions using (computer) directives, especially when there's no computer listening.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
The internet is a new social medium. No disrespect to the funny memes and slogans but just because we're getting used to the 'net doesn't mean all opinions posted there must be invalid.

I always wonder if the same thing happened with the telephone and TV when they were invented. "You mean you heard over THE PHONE that the stock market was crashing? And you dignified it by arguing? Ah ha ha!"

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Tried to edit to be on topic as well...I think CPJ should check his attitude. No coach with 5+ years on his contract has suffered his last devastating defeat or recruiting mishap. You want to have friendly beat reporters when that happens.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Suguira does a bad job at all. However, he does seem to really fixate on roster updates, especially about injuries every week.

I kind of suspect that it is that aspect of being a "serious journalist" which says you need to be "investigative" and find out something and tell your readers about it before anyone else does. (Which I actually do think is the best aspect of journalism when done well), The problem with being nosy or investigative around a college sports team you are focused on covering is 1) these kind of run-ins with the head honcho can occur if you tread on toes too much or skirt protocols they want to enforce. 2) You will be talking about people who are technically adults but are still in a place (a college) where those with authority over them have legal responsibilities to protect aspects of their privacy . . . that is, they are not paid professionals (at least at Tech :p). Think about it as if he was reporting on the medical and academic situation of a high school team? Students are just a bit more rightly "off limits" than professionals even if they are also "celebrities" to a certain degree.

Whatever the reason Suguira favors seeking out this kind of info may be I think that it does treads on rules about protecting students medical or academic info. It honestly never seems nearly as captivating or interesting to learn about to me as when he interviews position coaches or players. He may not want to write too many of what he considers "fluff" pieces about the background stories of this or that player like you will get a lot of on Ramblin Wreck.com from a staff reporter like Winklejohn. But, "human interest" type stories would definitely be eaten up by Tech fans likely to read his articles and blog posts.

For example, I would love to see him use the access he has to produce a series of profiles and kind of reviews of the impact of this or that coach on the season Tech has had. Like, one day look at getting info on what Sisk has meant to the team this year )what changes has he made? Emphasis from the summer and how it changed moving on? some player quotes on how Sisk helped them meet personal goals, other coaches commenting on what the S/C program means to the position group the coach, and so on. He could even get his hard-hitting journalism rocks off by trying to form critical opinions about progress made or not made in his view or in comparison to other programs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Suguira does a bad job at all. However, he does seem to really fixate on roster updates, especially about injuries every week.

I kind of suspect that it is that aspect of being a "serious journalist" which says you need to be "investigative" and find out something and tell your readers about it before anyone else does. (Which I actually do think is the best aspect of journalism when done well), The problem with being nosy or investigative around a college sports team you are focused on covering is 1) these kind of run-ins with the head honcho can occur if you tread on toes too much or skirt protocols they want to enforce. 2) You will be talking about people who are technically adults but are still in a place (a college) where those with authority over them have legal responsibilities to protect aspects of their privacy . . . that is, they are not paid professionals (at least at Tech :p). Think about it as if he was reporting on the medical and academic situation of a high school team? Students are just a bit more rightly "off limits" than professionals even if they are also "celebrities" to a certain degree.

Whatever the reason Suguira favors seeking out this kind of info may be I think that it does treads on rules about protecting students medical or academic info. It honestly never seems nearly as captivating or interesting to learn about to me as when he interviews position coaches or players. He may not want to write too many of what he considers "fluff" pieces about the background stories of this or that player like you will get a lot of on Ramblin Wreck.com from a staff reporter like Winklejohn. But, "human interest" type stories would definitely be eaten up by Tech fans likely to read his articles and blog posts.

For example, I would love to see him use the access he has to produce a series of profiles and kind of reviews of the impact of this or that coach on the season Tech has had. Like, one day look at getting info on what Sisk has meant to the team this year )what changes has he made? Emphasis from the summer and how it changed moving on? some player quotes on how Sisk helped them meet personal goals, other coaches commenting on what the S/C program means to the position group the coach, and so on. He could even get his hard-hitting journalism rocks off by trying to form critical opinions about progress made or not made in his view or in comparison to other programs.
I would actually pay the ajc if it had unbiased gt info ANYWHERE on the sight. Keep the uga gets a pass ( coaches just wave the yoda mind trick and the new class will take them to a national championship) but add some info about gt.

Email Ken and tell him that. Having met him in person on three occasions at my tailgate spot, I can say without a doubt that he is a nice guy, and I think he is very much open to suggestions.