CPJ Saturday practice notes

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I think Ken does an excellent job of covering Tech for what is definitely a homer paper. Ken is no cheerleader, and admits that, but he is fair and objective, and lately, he has even shown some pretty biting sarcasm directed towards Georgia, Johnson-haters, TO-critics, etc. It's too bad that he and Johnson haven't hit it off, but Ken is so much better than his predecessor (a Georgia grad, BTW), that it is laughable. Hell, Johnson should see the crap we get in the Augusta paper, which has had an article every day for the past 4 days about Georgia in the Belk Bowl, and NOTHING about Tech in the Orange Bowl.
If you think Augusta is bad, imagine the Valdosta paper in the middle of Dawg/Nole country

If you think Augusta is bad, imagine the Valdosta paper in the middle of Dawg/Nole country
Yeah, I have heard. Although it's not a truly valid excuse, you can at least say that Valdosta is a long way from Atlanta. Hell, you can drive from Augusta to Atlanta in the same time you can drive from Augusta to Athens, and yet Tech is totally ignored by the Augusta newspaper, and not given much better coverage by the local TV stations.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I have heard. Although it's not a truly valid excuse, you can at least say that Valdosta is a long way from Atlanta. Hell, you can drive from Augusta to Atlanta in the same time you can drive from Augusta to Athens, and yet Tech is totally ignored by the Augusta newspaper, and not given much better coverage by the local TV stations.
I agree with you on that. Seems like coverage should be much better in your area. Each year, they do this pick 10 college games in our paper and about 2 years ago I noticed they obviously had all the SEC games in it but also had these West coast games in there with no listing of the GT game who I think was playing someone like NC State at the time. Surprisingly we do have a number of GT alum down here. Anyhow, I called the editor and sports person and told them how ridicoolus it was. Told them I didn't know of any Washington Huskies or UCLA Bruins in Valdosta who were contributing to our local economy. Since then it has been a little better, but they still have a long way to go.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think Ken Segiura does a good job. There a threads here covering one player's grades, and he was covering the same thing. I'm sure CPJ is protecting his player, and would like to get a little pressure off of the guy who's probably trying his best to dig out, and Ken caught a little shrapnel for it. If he posted here, he'd probably be sharp with us, too.

Ken does OK. I think he's pretty smart without acting like he's smart and I think he truly tries to understand the process of the program, from the offense to the standards they have to meet.
If PJ has a problem with information getting to Ken or Ken getting information before PJ has given his imprimatur, coach can a different tack than he one used after practice yesterday. He can go to the SID or the training staff and tell them, "Look here, stuff like that, you clear it with me first." They don't necessarily fall under his chain of command, but he can have a say in how things are done and in how information gets out. The sports talk boobs in Atlanta aside, PJ's had a pretty good rapport with the media for the most part over the last 20 years.

I agree with you on that. Seems like coverage should be much better in your area. Each year, they do this pick 10 college games in our paper and about 2 years ago I noticed they obviously had all the SEC games in it but also had these West coast games in there with no listing of the GT game who I think was playing someone like NC State at the time. Surprisingly we do have a number of GT alum down here. Anyhow, I called the editor and sports person and told them how ridicoolus it was. Told them I didn't know of any Washington Huskies or UCLA Bruins in Valdosta who were contributing to our local economy. Since then it has been a little better, but they still have a long way to go.
Way to go. I visited a church other than my own this morning, and one of the (non-sports) writers for the Augusta paper is a member there. He has a column throughout the year in which he prints postcard messages that he receives from travelers who subscribe to the paper. I went up and introduced myself to him and told him that since the Augusta paper didn't seem to realize that Tech was going to be in the Orange Bowl next week I would send him a post card from there. He politely laughed. I am serious though.....at least if Tech wins. If we lose, I probably won't bother.

BTW, I was once sort of a legend among Tech fans in Augusta. About 20 years ago, I got so ticked off with the lack of coverage for Tech that I wrote a letter to the editor complaining about it and signed it G. P. Burdell. The boobs at the Augusta paper didn't have a clue and actually called me to confirm my name, which I happily did. Then they printed it in the daily paper. Boy, did the staff at the Augusta paper get PO'd about that when somebody clued them in, not to mention all the negative flak I caught from the Georgia fans. It was worth it and one of the proudest moments of my life.....LOL

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
BTW, I was once sort of a legend among Tech fans in Augusta. About 20 years ago, I got so ticked off with the lack of coverage for Tech that I wrote a letter to the editor complaining about it and signed it G. P. Burdell. The boobs at the Augusta paper didn't have a clue and actually called me to confirm my name, which I happily did. Then they printed it in the daily paper. Boy, did the staff at the Augusta paper get PO'd about that when somebody clued them in, not to mention all the negative flak I caught from the Georgia fans. It was worth it and one of the proudest moments of my life.....LOL
Haha...that is great! I've got to remember that one next time!

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
All of these guys (Ken, Kelly Q, Eric (I'm assuming because I don't happen to know Eric's source(s) like I do with the former 2) have "connections" with players and/or coaches. It really isn't all that difficult to find out when news is breaking or about to break if you have such sources. Sometimes, certain members of the staff (I won't say the title but it rhymes with roaches) will even let certain information out on purpose. Specifically with regards to recruiting, this can be really really useful because these "staff members" cannot comment on recruits until after they sign their LOI.

However, this info is sometimes (often actually) asked to be kept quiet until a certain date or until a certain event happens. If those members of the media comply, they tend to get more info. If they don't, they will find that the well of information will dry up rather quickly. Ken broke that agreement when he published the information on JHD before they wanted it released. And it appears this time that he got his information from a player...which is kind of a double no/no. In that situation, the common courtesy thing is for Ken to tell the coaches that he has heard certain information and plans to print it. Uhh, nope...Ken didn't do that either, from what I understand.

The amazing thing about pulling that off is that George P. Burdell is actually based on a famous Augusta native.....George P. Butler, that name having been put on an joke application for enrollment at Tech by an Augusta kid in 1927. I was totally surprised that nobody at the Augusta paper was aware of that, but apparently they were not.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There's nothing sweeter than having a mutt fan loading your vehicle, seeing your GT window sticker and muttering to himself while shaking his head. (I live in Jacksonville which is, surprisingly to many, muttville. North Florida is really south Georgia, just a little bit further south.) I've had two occasions now where this has happened, once was at Lowes, another was at the feed store.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
There's nothing sweeter than having a mutt fan loading your vehicle, seeing your GT window sticker and muttering to himself while shaking his head. (I live in Jacksonville which is, surprisingly to many, muttville. North Florida is really south Georgia, just a little bit further south.) I've had two occasions now where this has happened, once was at Lowes, another was at the feed store.
Florida begins in Orlando. The rest is South Georgia except for this little territory in Gainesville which belongs to New Jersey.

AugustaJacket

Georgia Tech Fan

I remember that. Very nice work. If I recall, once they found out, they printed a stern "reprimand" type editorial letter. No doubt they were PO'd. My latest gripe with them, however minor it might be, is regarding a FB post they made once the "Big Four" local teams knew where they were going bowling. They listed the Bowls in this order: Belk (Dwags), Orange (GT), Independence (USCe), Russell Ath. (Clemsun). Despite being in the most prestigious bowl, I am surprised Tech even was listed second. Listed in order by coverage: Dwags, USCe, Clemsun, GT.

For the record and not media related, I watched the ACCCG Champ. with two of my neighbors who are Dwag fans. Very complimentary of our offense esp. JT. Naturally pulling for us against FSU/Jameis.

I remember that. Very nice work. If I recall, once they found out, they printed a stern "reprimand" type editorial letter. No doubt they were PO'd. My latest gripe with them, however minor it might be, is regarding a FB post they made once the "Big Four" local teams knew where they were going bowling. They listed the Bowls in this order: Belk (Dwags), Orange (GT), Independence (USCe), Russell Ath. (Clemsun). Despite being in the most prestigious bowl, I am surprised Tech even was listed second. Listed in order by coverage: Dwags, USCe, Clemsun, GT.

For the record and not media related, I watched the ACCCG Champ. with two of my neighbors who are Dwag fans. Very complimentary of our offense esp. JT. Naturally pulling for us against FSU/Jameis.
And did you notice today there was yet another full article on the mutts in the Belk Bowl.....Still NO MENTION AT ALL of Tech and the Orange Bowl. That has got to be the biggest homer paper on earth.

And yes, the staff there didn't like what I did at all and actually printed an editorial lambasting me for it. Like I said, I was PROUD !!! LOL

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hell, Johnson should see the crap we get in the Augusta paper, which has had an article every day for the past 4 days about Georgia in the Belk Bowl, and NOTHING about Tech in the Orange Bowl.

Well, to be fair, isn't the Belk Bowl coming up much sooner on the calendar than the Orange Bowl? (t-i-c)

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck

Your neighbors are dwags? Are they tenants or do you live next to a trailer park?