CPJ radio show

GTChE92

Georgia Tech Fan
traveling to Tech to do some recruiting. Thinking about going to the show. How is the 3 Dollar Cafe set up for the show? How many people can it hold? How early do you need to get there to get a seat?

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
If you want a good seat, you should get there at least 30 minutes early. The show is in the main room with the stage between the bar and the open kitchen. Last week they brought a big camera and it was blocking the view from some tables. Sit close if you can - it gets really hard to hear with all the chatter around you.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not there, so perhaps this is not a fair thing to ask. But... all the chatter in the background is distracting to the radio audience. I never noticed any chatter in the old location.

GTChE92

Georgia Tech Fan
If you want a good seat, you should get there at least 30 minutes early. The show is in the main room with the stage between the bar and the open kitchen. Last week they brought a big camera and it was blocking the view from some tables. Sit close if you can - it gets really hard to hear with all the chatter around you.
Thanks!! Heading over around 5:30. Hope there is a good crowd.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone notice how much that area around 3 dollar has changed recently? There's tons of homeless and it looks like the building across the street is a crack den now.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So why did they move the show from Hudson Grill? I was in town recruiting last September and went to the radio show the week after GT-Tulane. They had a nice room upstairs; great setup, and the food was good. I bet parking is a problem there, but not for me - I walked over from my hotel.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am not there, so perhaps this is not a fair thing to ask. But... all the chatter in the background is distracting to the radio audience. I never noticed any chatter in the old location.
Thank you!! The new location is far from ideal for the audience. We had a quiet, dedicated space upstairs at Hudson Grille. Not only is the restaurant noise an issue at 3-Dollar, but the room itself yield far poorer sightlines.

There are 3 noise problems: the bartender talking full voice, the open kitchen confirming orders and (biggest issue) the surrounding part of the restaurant has people who are disconnected from the show itself--yet talking full voice. The din of background noise is constant. I didn't realize that the radio audience could hear all that as well, though.

The ole radio show experience (in person) ain't what she used to be! Which is sad, because the show itself is a good product. It's a given at our house that we'll go and support Coach.

Last edited:

Buzz4President

Georgia Tech Fan
@MrsDrJacket won some swag tonight! A real nice GT polo shirt. She was happy!

Congrats, MrsDrJacket! Sorry I didn't congratulate you in person, but we left right after your win. I just couldn't stand the noise in there anymore! I couldn't hear the radio show at all with all the loud conversation, most of it coming from large tables of Tech folk! I don't know why they even bothered to come. They weren't even pretending to listen to the show. But in their defense, maybe they couldn't hear either and just gave up. It was nice seeing everyone tonight though!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The extraneous noise is there but not disqualifying from radio perspective. For change, it must come from attendees.

MrsDrJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Congrats, MrsDrJacket! Sorry I didn't congratulate you in person, but we left right after your win. I just couldn't stand the noise in there anymore! I couldn't hear the radio show at all with all the loud conversation, most of it coming from large tables of Tech folk! I don't know why they even bothered to come. They weren't even pretending to listen to the show. But in their defense, maybe they couldn't hear either and just gave up. It was nice seeing everyone tonight though!

Thank you, @Buzz4President! It was great to see you and I totally understand the noise factor. If we had not been sitting directly under a speaker, we would not have heard a thing! See you later!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
My spousal unit won a nice pullover as well. That'll keep her going with me for a few more weeks!
And it was a gtswarm trifecta, as I pulled in a pair of game tickets for this weekend, near the end of the show.

Although, I still think that @MrsDrJacket cheats. ;) She wins stuff at every show. Good for her, though--us cheaters need to stick together!

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Make it 4 for gtswarm - I won the second duffel bag. We arrived 20 minutes later than the first two shows and weren't able to get our regular bar seats close to the stage. Hope that doesn't affect the outcome of the game on Saturday. It was much harder to hear further down the bar as nobody around us was there for the show.