CPJ Radio Show 9/30

ToddM

I know I am obnoxious, I was born that way so I can't help it, but for the life of me I just don't understand how any coach is responsible for false starts.

I see folks posting this and that is on the staff and if the team messes up the coaches must not have not prepared them and so on.

Failures in preparation on plays may indeed be on the coach. Improper routes in a pass pattern should be cleared up in practice. Knowing that you are going on 2 should be easy to do and understand for a experienced OL. To say that its a coaches fault, on the biggest issues in that game, false starts and blocking, is to demand that practice time be given to plays that shouldn't be addressed after high school.

What team in college today actually gives more than 10 mins to snap count or cadence ?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Good point but I think it's a bigger issue for the offense we run. We've seen other teams successfully jump our snap count based on the a-back motion. I lean toward the lack of concentration argument. Either way it's frustrating.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I always look at it this way when assessing or dividing blame in a team sport. The execution is on the players . . . and the loss is on the head coach. Everyone gets love for a win.

I keep it simple. The coach will find a way to get the players to execute better and win more games or he will eventually be fired because of his overall record. Specifically in the case of CPJ what could eventually do him in is overall record against the big yearly opponents of VT/Miami/Clemson/UGA. Maybe you can add in bowl games but I personally put those in a second tier.

I think a coach at Tech needs to be able to win "enough" (no set percentage exactly, but I would think closer to 50% than 20%, maybe 40%?) of the games against these toughest yearly opponents to coach into perpetuity here.

I am treating all of those four opponents as a group by the way, I can handle keeping a coach who loses repeatedly to this or that one, but it is the accrual of too many losses against that group overall that will do a coach in.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'll stand down.
VT as of right now has the #1 rated defense in the country. Getting molly whooped by them may prove not to be as embarrassing as it seemed Thursday night. I predicted a 9-3 record at the beginning of the year largely due to the number of seniors on the team and CPJ's tenure with the program. This is no rebuilding process this is his team with players he recruited. The four games I'm looking at are Miami, BYU, Clemson, and Jawja if Tech can go 2-2 I will eat crow and retract my embrace of the trending #FirePaulJohnson twitter hashtag, that's with the assumption we can beat Pitt, Syracuse, & Alabama A&M. Three years of straight mediocrity is enough a forth is inexcusable, especially given that Paul Johnson earns more in salary Dabo & is in the whelm of Jimbo.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
ATL1, I commend you for now stating your position in a more mild-mannered tone. Venting is all well and good but I prefer to do that to the wall and then after I calm down get into a discussion online. :p