CPJ Radio Show 9/30

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
- CPJ said they went full pads today

- Dont feel they are being physical enough

- Team had the best practice of the year today

- Said Vad had a pretty good practice and Justin had a great one.

- Said they are going to start playing Justin Thomas some.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
Listening as well. Vad is a great athlete and quarterback but it seems to me JT might be our QB before the season is over. CPJ's tone sold me on this.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
JT will get his lil *** tossed 20 yards in the stands trying to run hard against a Jawja or Clemson..
Please .. I`m waiting for the CPJ era to be over. 10 Million dollars geez.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Paul wants someone who is consistent and able to run the option at a high level.

Vad is big and fast but will gamble and is a little unpredictable.
JT is smaller, but but more of a steady hand.

Their personalities say it all....

Last edited:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not a Vad or JT guy. I can say that Vad looked more experienced in the spring game and the fall scrimmage. That said, I would like to see a full drive by JT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
JT will get his lil *** tossed 20 yards in the stands trying to run hard against a Jawja or Clemson..

Last year we had the best pts/drive against conf than any other ACC team. In footballoutsiders SnPplus our offense has gone from 21 to 15 to 12 (2009. 2011, 2012), iirc. We now have a D that hasn't crapped the bed in the 4th qtr in 4 games. Why do you want the CPJ era over?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Please...JT is a stud. I actually projected him to be the starter for week 1. I have seen him several times and the kid has talent. Just because a guy is small doesn't mean he get tossed 20 yards in the stands...it is all about pad level.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the posters that say CPJ wants to run his system. The skill set of JT seems to fit this better. I hate it because I think Vad is a great leader, but honestly if JT starts to play more and supplants Vad, it wouldn't surprise me to see him transfer.

But I would like to see JT is some more live action situations. And I want to see JT pass

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow

Reggie Ball, as a SR, was listed 5-11(which WAS BS) 195lbs and you didn't see him get tossed around by those teams during his career. Give JT another year in the weight room and he'll be fine.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That kid is not 5'11 and I'd be shocked if he was over 195'lbs, you see the hits Vad takes, JT won't last a season. Maybe Vad should transfer.
Anyway I care WAY more about the Institute than it's current "coach" and his one dimensional limited offense. I've seen enough. I don't sip kool aid and play like rainbows in the sky, I call it like I see it.

BTW Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, nor Reggie Ball ran this offense.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
That kid is not 5'11 and I'd be shocked if he was over 195'lbs, you see the hits Vad takes, JT won't last a season. Maybe Vad should transfer.
Anyway I care WAY more about the Institute than it's current "coach" and his one dimensional limited offense. I've seen enough. I don't sip kool aid and play like rainbows in the sky, I call it like I see it.

BTW Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, nor Reggie Ball ran this offense.

Reggie Ball, I believe, would have excelled in this offense. He was shorter than 5-11 but that 195 was probably accurate. He was a strong s.o.b. and he dealt as much punishment on the defender as they put on him. Also, Vad takes hard hits because he doesn't pitch the ball properly. Justin needs to get some actual game reps this season against good teams, running the actual offense. If he runs the base offense better than Vad, so be it. Now quit you're bitching and cheer on the team.

ToddM

JT may indeed be good but I would caution everyone to remember that CPJ and everyone else said he was behind VL in his ability to run the option.

It also showed when he was put in down around his own goal line, against ELON. Total confusion. Yes he did score against them later but that was in the 4th, up 63-0 and once again, against Elon.

I am for either one who can lead tech to wins but I am partial to Lee. Lee has everything we need. Size, speed, arm and regardless of what we think I haven't heard anything g from the team that's says he isn't still their leader. This hurry up and win now approach will have us going from a hugely deep QB spot to 1 excellent QB and 2 marginal ones ( by comparison ). I too believe that Lee would transfer if he was bumped to 2nd string.

And once again AE hit the nail on the head, by comparison this is the most talented Tech team we have had since 2009. I would rather go 3-9 than throw the baby out with the bath water. I don't think we will lose but maybe 4 games. Even if we do lose to Miami we still win 7 or 8 games this year, with losses to UGA, BYU and who knows what will happen with Clemson. That constitutes improvement from last year, with a young QB.

Way to early to abandon Lee !

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Guys, read over the course of this thread so far and then reflect upon how it has gone and do yourselves a favor . . . ignore ATL1 when he makes asinine comments like he has here. Whether he intends to be or not his comments above are in effect just worthless trolling. Don't give him the power to dictate discussions when he spouts off unintelligent or hasty opinions.

On the actual topic I see no reason to think CPJ is going to abandon Vad, or that he should transfer or anything else. It was one lousy game. The clear indication is that he intends to give Justin some series in game situations and let these two QBs who are battling it out so close in practices have a chance to prove themselves in similar game situations. He recognizes that Justin may give the opposing team a different look and be at least a change of pace that could help Tech win ballgames.

The team needs both of these guys at QB no matter their order and given how close they are performing in practice they need game reps to demonstrate who is the "permanent" starter.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys, read over the course of this thread so far and then reflect upon how it has gone and do yourselves a favor . . . ignore ATL1 when he makes asinine comments like he has here. Whether he intends to be or not his comments above are in effect just worthless trolling. Don't give him the power to dictate discussions when he spouts off unintelligent or hasty opinions.

On the actual topic I see no reason to think CPJ is going to abandon Vad, or that he should transfer or anything else. It was one lousy game. The clear indication is that he intends to give Justin some series in game situations and let these two QBs who are battling it out so close in practices have a chance to prove themselves in similar game situations. He recognizes that Justin may give the opposing team a different look and be at least a change of pace that could help Tech win ballgames.

The team needs both of these guys at QB no matter their order and given how close they are performing in practice they need game reps to demonstrate who is the "permanent" starter.

For those that don't know: The forum allows you to block other posters. I can't remember the last time I read an ATL1 post... I'm also surprised he hasn't been banned yet...

On the topic of VL vs JT: CPJ has said "we" our bad at running the option. Not that VL is bad at running the option. I'm not sure why we seemed to have regressed in that department but we have. I think don't switching VL for JT is just going to magically solve that problem over night. That being said that doesn't also mean VL is completely blameless either.