CPJ Press Conference

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
that's not what he's saying at all. for example, coca cola just signed on for a 10 year, $10 million dollar deal with GS providing athletic AND academic scholarship support. anyone noticed the GS/coke zero billboards popping up in ATL featuring willie fritz? no way this happens without leadership helping push this and the GS move up to FBS. president keel has been a breath of fresh air in comparison to the last prez who was a stick in the mud. he understands the big picture that the GS move up to FBS and the success of the football team brings great things to the university for all stakeholders. the money games this year at NC state, GT, and navy are worth close to $2 mil in payouts. if GS was still FCS they might get half that amount.

erk russell and football did wonders for a sleepy GS back in the early 80s. this is the next progression in using the football stage to assist the academic side of GS. beating FL brought a ton of attention to GS last year! that's not just good for football, that's good for the entire school.

Grube did wonders to address the school's academic reputation and standing - and if anybody thinks he didn't care about athletics, go back to the press conference right after Hatcher was whacked on the Bishop Fieldhouse steps. Grube took that thing over.
The Coke deal was a renewal of a deal that was already in place. There is more money involved but the deal was an extension of something that was already going on. Maybe having a captive audience of 20,500 students and a few thousand faculty and staff is more the reason for it than going to FBS.
Keel talks about exposure but doesn't say how it will manifest itself or just what that exposure is (playing on ESPNU? Really?) The money for the move isn't there. It also won't be there. I believe Keel and Kleinlein know this but won't say it because they don't want folks to abandon ship. Seriously. There is no expectation of bowl revenue, even if Southern plays in one as soon as next year. Not just a little but none coming from any bowl game. A lot of teams lose money on bowl games (ask Wisconsin, which lost money going to the Rose Bowl). There is also the specter of some of their moves not paying off - and that could mean having a fourth money game each year, and no OOC home games. Get used to five home games a year - at most. The days of six, seven, more home games a year are gone.
Think of all the extra expenses now - the travel budget is about to blow up and not just for football, which will take a large chunk. It's now airfare, plus you still have to get buses, and hotels and meals for 100 plus players, coaches, additional support staff, and then hoops and baseball have to do the same thing. These money games are needed just to stay afloat.
Keel is taking a huge risk with the money of some very good and trusting people for a very specious reward. The Sun Belt is a joke. Add Georgia State, Idaho and New Mexico State, three of the worst programs in I-A, and then even think about adding UMass, giving you four of the five worst bottom feeders? Yeah, that does wonders for your reputation.
I have met Keel and Kleinlein and I don't trust either one.
Now, if there is a plan in place to move up in a few years to Conference USA or something like that, I think I might support that. But the exposure garbage Keel keeps spouting and the money and resources that just aren't there and won't be there have me turned off to the move.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dennis Andrews is eligible this week. What is his major?
Literature, media and communication

I went on a campus tour recently. The guide was a scholarship athlete. Her major?
History, Science and Technology

I heard an academic presentation from the various schools. One was the Liberal Arts College. Can you get a liberal arts degree at GT?

Yes, although it is a BS.

Not every athlete wants to be an engineer, but that statement has little to do with GT.

Paul Johnson, through his ministers of propaganda, like Kelly Quinlan, has done a great job of convincing the GT fan base that academics, and not his failures, is why GT is a mediocre (maybe) program.

It's almost funny that the UGa grad Quinlan is putting one over on GT fans.

Fans have to take information from these services as entertainment value only. You've got to understand, they don't practice true "journalism". Coaches feed them just enough information to be "inside", and in return the services disseminates feel good stories, tidbits about players and coaches but not the full story (especially if it's a suspension or firing), and in a way act as a PR arm for the program. These guys that work for the services have sources that are deep into the program and they know a lot of dirt on people...but when's the last time you heard them break negative news with details...trust me, they know why certain coaches were let go, and why certain players were booted off the team beyond breaking "team rules". They are not going to bite the hand that literally feeds them...remember, services make money on subscriptions.

It's funny because when certain players transfer out (see Vad Lee), there's a bunch of information that comes out afterwards from "insiders" on boards and social media. Like Gailey's guys not "buying in" (nevermind "Gailey's guys" were key in helping us win an ACCCG, and quite a few of them were key in talking a lot of players from transferring out), or a former player not being fully committed (even though teammates on social media and in the local paper sing their praises on being a great leader and how hard they are working), or how the current coaching regime now is running things better than the former coaching regime. This was all information that was available at the time everything was going on...why didn't they tell us as it was happening as opposed to waiting till after the fact? There's a lot of agendas going on...that's why you need to make the judgement yourself as opposed to what "insiders" and services put out there. When CPJ's time at GT ends (all coaching tenures end), there will be "insider" stories that come out on what happened and why the next coach is doing better.

It's just the nature of the college service and messageboard business.

Animal02

Banned

I went on a campus tour recently. The guide was a scholarship athlete. Her major?

I heard an academic presentation from the various schools. One was the Liberal Arts College. Can you get a liberal arts degree at GT?

Not every athlete wants to be an engineer, but that statement has little to do with GT.

Paul Johnson, through his ministers of propaganda, like Kelly Quinlan, has done a great job of convincing the GT fan base that academics, and not his failures, is why GT is a mediocre (maybe) program.

Here we go again :rolleyes:

Georgia Tech offers a limited number of undergraduate degrees......35 to be exact................guess what they ALL have in common?
(would you like a comparison to Standford and their degree offerings? How about ND, or a Mich State that offers something like 180+ majors)
No, you CANNOT get a LIBERAL ARTS degree at Tech,

Required of all other majors .
Select one of the following:

Course Class Title Credit Hours
Math 1712 - Survey of Calculus 4 semester hours
Math 1501 - Calculus 1-4 Semester Hours

College of Architecture
Bachelor of Science in Architecture
Bachelor of Science in Industrial Design

College of Computing
Bachelor of Science in Computational Media
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science

College of Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Materials Science and Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Nuclear and Radiological Engineering

College of Sciences
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics
Bachelor of Science in Applied Physics
Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
Bachelor of Science in Biology
Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
Bachelor of Science in Discrete Mathematics
Bachelor of Science in Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Bachelor of Science in Physics
Bachelor of Science in Psychology

Ernest Scheller Jr. College of Business
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration

Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts
Bachelor of Science in Applied Languages and Intercultural Studies
Bachelor of Science in Economics
Bachelor of Science in Economics and International Affairs
Bachelor of Science in Global Economics and Modern Languages
Bachelor of Science in History, Technology, and Society
Bachelor of Science in International Affairs
Bachelor of Science in International Affairs and Modern Language
Bachelor of Science in Literature, Media, and Communication
Bachelor of Science in Public Policy

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I sat though a presentation at GT in which the College of Liberal Arts says you can get a liberal arts degree. But I guess I should believe some guy on a message board instead of them because he uses all caps.

The post I responded to stated not every athlete wants to be an engineer, as if that is all GT can recruit, and I pointed out that there are plenty of options. Another recent post stated that most athletes have to major in business. Again, not true, as it was 40 years ago when IM was about the only non-engineering/non-science major. There are more majors at GT than there were in 1990, and that was a pretty good year.

There are plenty of majors at GT. Academics aren't the problem. These kids aren't that focused on a major, or even academics--they want to know what the football program offers. And right now, it offers an offense that is very different from what NFL teams use, and you get to wear Russell apparel. Those things are more important to 18 year old football players than their major.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here we go again :rolleyes:

Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts
Bachelor of Science in Applied Languages and Intercultural Studies
Bachelor of Science in Economics
Bachelor of Science in Economics and International Affairs
Bachelor of Science in Global Economics and Modern Languages
Bachelor of Science in History, Technology, and Society
Bachelor of Science in International Affairs
Bachelor of Science in International Affairs and Modern Language
Bachelor of Science in Literature, Media, and Communication
Bachelor of Science in Public Policy

Your own evidence contradicts you.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Fans have to take information from these services as entertainment value only. You've got to understand, they don't practice true "journalism". Coaches feed them just enough information to be "inside", and in return the services disseminates feel good stories, tidbits about players and coaches but not the full story (especially if it's a suspension or firing), and in a way act as a PR arm for the program. These guys that work for the services have sources that are deep into the program and they know a lot of dirt on people...but when's the last time you heard them break negative news with details...trust me, they know why certain coaches were let go, and why certain players were booted off the team beyond breaking "team rules". They are not going to bite the hand that literally feeds them...remember, services make money on subscriptions.

It's funny because when certain players transfer out (see Vad Lee), there's a bunch of information that comes out afterwards from "insiders" on boards and social media. Like Gailey's guys not "buying in" (nevermind "Gailey's guys" were key in helping us win an ACCCG, and quite a few of them were key in talking a lot of players from transferring out), or a former player not being fully committed (even though teammates on social media and in the local paper sing their praises on being a great leader and how hard they are working), or how the current coaching regime now is running things better than the former coaching regime. This was all information that was available at the time everything was going on...why didn't they tell us as it was happening as opposed to waiting till after the fact? There's a lot of agendas going on...that's why you need to make the judgement yourself as opposed to what "insiders" and services put out there. When CPJ's time at GT ends (all coaching tenures end), there will be "insider" stories that come out on what happened and why the next coach is doing better.

It's just the nature of the college service and messageboard business.
Everybody already makes "judgements" themselves and that's the problem with the boards. All these "judgements" are based on very limited information and in many cases, misinformation. But does that stop us keyboard jockies from pontificating from on high? Oh, and these mostly unfounded opinions are broadcast with absolute certainty and conviction. smh. Gotta love the internets.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The biggest difference between us and them is that our guys actually have to work off the football field and outside the weight room. (no African American Studies and the like) And that's a big part of why our guys stay out of trouble, for the most part. It's also the biggest detractor in recruiting the few blue chip athletes that actually qualify academically.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Too many athletes are looking for good semi-pro athletic programs to help prepare them for "The League". They would MUCH prefer a place where they don't have to bother with school, just concentrate on football, girls, and (perhaps) weed [at least, that was a decent description of me 45 years ago, and I wasn't even an athlete!].

GT athletes also want to get themselves prepared for "The League", but they are generally smart enough to recognize that (1) that might not work out and they need a backup plan; and/or (2) there is life after The League.

As long as we seriously require our athletes to do school work, we will be separate from the football factories we compete with. Even Stanford had The List (http://www.stanforddaily.com/2011/03/09/1046687/)

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Too many athletes are looking for good semi-pro athletic programs to help prepare them for "The League". They would MUCH prefer a place where they don't have to bother with school, just concentrate on football, girls, and (perhaps) weed [at least, that was a decent description of me 45 years ago, and I wasn't even an athlete!].
This is the correct answer. The vast majority of recruits, especially blue chippers, believe they're headed to the league and would prefer the quickest and easiest path as possible.

Animal02

Banned
I sat though a presentation at GT in which the College of Liberal Arts says you can get a liberal arts degree. But I guess I should believe some guy on a message board instead of them because he uses all caps.

The post I responded to stated not every athlete wants to be an engineer, as if that is all GT can recruit, and I pointed out that there are plenty of options. Another recent post stated that most athletes have to major in business. Again, not true, as it was 40 years ago when IM was about the only non-engineering/non-science major. There are more majors at GT than there were in 1990, and that was a pretty good year.

There are plenty of majors at GT. Academics aren't the problem. These kids aren't that focused on a major, or even academics--they want to know what the football program offers. And right now, it offers an offense that is very different from what NFL teams use, and you get to wear Russell apparel. Those things are more important to 18 year old football players than their major.
It is a SCIENCE degree no matter what some presentation claims.
BTW.....there is a College of Architecute.......you do not get undergraduate architecture degrees there....you get a Bachelor of Science degree
No, there are not "plenty" of options" Tech offers fewer degrees than almost and school in the country. People that claim that academics is not an issue with recruiting have their head in the sand. Recruiting kids who see school as a waypoint for the NFL is just as foolish.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Good post but I do not think I am being cynical when I go ahead and believe that investigative journalist who says that 100% of 5-star prospects take bribes in some form or fashion from bagmen, and 80% of 4 star prospects do the same.

Clearly a kid has to be interested in Tech to begin with to ever have a chance to land him as a commit and so the restriction of all degrees to being Bachelors of Science degrees (wish I could just use the abbreviation but I can't :p) and more rigorous standards as well as having to attend real classes are obstacles. But the sleazy reality below the surface of college recruiting also works strongly against Tech.

If a kid has 5 star talent, is going to be given 100-200K in under the table payola to school X and fully believes they will be drafted in 3 years then Tech's best selling point of a degree that will give them a comfortable means of making a living even after a possible pro career fades a good deal. These kids (like that UGA player who talked of football as his "livelihood") at no point consider themselves "students." They are in "career prep" not "college prep" mode in high school and see themselves as having started their professional careers after graduating high school. And why not if they are getting paid to play (plus room and board, medical care, etc)? Tech's same pitch to the high 3 stars and 20% of 4 stars that are not influenced by bribery has a chance at success.

That Bagmen article has definitively changed my expectations so far as recruiting is concerned, and it lurks behind even the "offseason" issue raised in this thread by Foxy about the football culture at Southern vs. that at Tech.
Some cable news shows are doing stories on the number of pro football players currently playing who have done what Rice did and far worse. We love football in this country so much that we would rather not think about the following potential correlations: dreams of pro football careers starting in high school / low grades / 4 and 5 star ratings / bagmen / colleges that cheat and coddle star players / discipline issues in college / pro players involved in domestic violence, assault, murder.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Some cable news shows are doing stories on the number of pro football players currently playing who have done what Rice did and far worse. We love football in this country so much that we would rather not think about the following potential correlations: dreams of pro football careers starting in high school / low grades / 4 and 5 star ratings / bagmen / colleges that cheat and coddle star players / discipline issues in college / pro players involved in domestic violence, assault, murder.
Those "correlations" also exist in society as a whole.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Just stop. You're twisting everything you see to fit into your "CPJ sucks at everything, I'm right, and everyone who disagrees is a brainwashed sheep" narrative. Try to look at things through a unbiased lens and you might start to make some sense.

Like I said to you in another thread, stop grasping at straws just to dump on the coach. It's old and tired. We get it. You don't like the guy.