CPJ Press Conference

I'm not saying they're breaking rules, but you get the impression that the academic arm of georgia southern is actually invested in having a good football team. Like I said, there's a sense of community and collective purpose there that we simply don't have.
That's because they are a small college town where there's pretty much nothing else to do.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
That's because they are a small college town where there's pretty much nothing else to do.
Also I feel like tech grads have more on their mind than just football. I love sports, I mean I really am a fanatic especially about Georgia Tech, but I work my butt off at school and work, and sometimes I have to read proposals for work instead of watching football or write code for school, but Alabama fans or other fan bases like that don't generally do that. The majority of their fan bases are 9-5 people and they wouldn't miss a game for anything. (Not saying they aren't smart people or good people so don't bash me) I think the type of people that we have as Georgia Tech fans just aren't factory school fans and that's okay with me. We aren't going to be Texas or Alabama. We just have to do the best we can with what we have. Maybe one day we will have someone invent the next huge thing like the iphone and that person also will love tech football, but until then we are who we are.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
Also I feel like tech grads have more on their mind than just football. I love sports, I mean I really am a fanatic especially about Georgia Tech, but I work my butt off at school and work, and sometimes I have to read proposals for work instead of watching football or write code for school, but Alabama fans or other fan bases like that don't generally do that. The majority of their fan bases are 9-5 people and they wouldn't miss a game for anything. (Not saying they aren't smart people or good people so don't bash me) I think the type of people that we have as Georgia Tech fans just aren't factory school fans and that's okay with me. We aren't going to be Texas or Alabama. We just have to do the best we can with what we have. Maybe one day we will have someone invent the next huge thing like the iphone and that person also will love tech football, but until then we are who we are.

I still am of the belief that we can have our cake and eat it too. There is no reason why we can't be an Institute of Higher learning with higher standards and at the same time be a Top 25 Football teams year in and year out. I think the problem comes down to recruiting the best of the best and sometimes we miss on recruiting. It is going to happen. Recruiting isn't an exact science and even the bigger "factory schools" miss out as well. It is going to be tougher with what Tech is trying to do. I am happy to strive to be better and work harder with my mind and my body. We need to find those players that feel the same way too.

That are start cloning players from the past and present to just make a team that is superior to everyone else.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah.....no thanks foxyg. I want to win but not at all costs.
that's not what he's saying at all. for example, coca cola just signed on for a 10 year, $10 million dollar deal with GS providing athletic AND academic scholarship support. anyone noticed the GS/coke zero billboards popping up in ATL featuring willie fritz? no way this happens without leadership helping push this and the GS move up to FBS. president keel has been a breath of fresh air in comparison to the last prez who was a stick in the mud. he understands the big picture that the GS move up to FBS and the success of the football team brings great things to the university for all stakeholders. the money games this year at NC state, GT, and navy are worth close to $2 mil in payouts. if GS was still FCS they might get half that amount.

erk russell and football did wonders for a sleepy GS back in the early 80s. this is the next progression in using the football stage to assist the academic side of GS. beating FL brought a ton of attention to GS last year! that's not just good for football, that's good for the entire school.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ had more success at GSU and Navy than he has enjoyed at Tech and he feels like the problem with getting Tech to the next level has to be something other than him. It's just part of his personality. Personally I feel like he has never really owned being the head football coach at Georgia Tech. He is still waiting for some significant success before declaring he is a Tech man. After 6 years he needs to either own it or move on. I like the guy but he has not excelled as our head coach. He has kept us competitive but he needs to take us to the next level. This year is beginning to look like more of the same.

Go Jackets!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I cannot believe Tech people are saying GSU academics are easier and moving on. GSU academics are lot easier in a lot of ways. I have a kid in school there and she will tell you the same if asked. First, GSU gets nowhere near the numbers of top students as GT or uga. They do not get the top professors, either. That said, I think there are really smart kids there and also very good professors. But GSU could not exist if they demanded the same from their students as GT does. The reason is simple. The high school GPA of incoming freshman at GSU is ridiculously low when compared to Tech. 12% of their incoming freshman have a GPA above 3.75, whereas at GT is 84%. At Tech, 90% of incoming freshmen made above 600 on each of the three SAT components. At GSU it's below 25%, and on the writing test it's 15%.

Now let's talk about their curriculum choices. You get the idea, I am sure.

I doubt more then 5% of the GSU student body would even be accepted at GT.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
that's not what he's saying at all. for example, coca cola just signed on for a 10 year, $10 million dollar deal with GS providing athletic AND academic scholarship support. anyone noticed the GS/coke zero billboards popping up in ATL featuring willie fritz? no way this happens without leadership helping push this and the GS move up to FBS. president keel has been a breath of fresh air in comparison to the last prez who was a stick in the mud. he understands the big picture that the GS move up to FBS and the success of the football team brings great things to the university for all stakeholders. the money games this year at NC state, GT, and navy are worth close to $2 mil in payouts. if GS was still FCS they might get half that amount.

erk russell and football did wonders for a sleepy GS back in the early 80s. this is the next progression in using the football stage to assist the academic side of GS. beating FL brought a ton of attention to GS last year! that's not just good for football, that's good for the entire school.
Where has football helped the academic side of a school? High school or college or university? Standards are compromised to allow admission of better players. How does this help academics? I am glad we have a competitive football and athletic program while maintaining our academic reputation and have not gone the way of MIT, Cal Poly, and other highly regarded engineering schools.

We need to recruit nationwide not SE or Georgia primarily. We have a tougher recruiting mountain to over come and I think CPJ took a couple of years to fully appreciate it. IIRC when he first arrived, he said he would recruit Georgia first. He has learned there are a lot of good HS players in Georgia but the competition for them is fierce and academically many are not able to meet the acceptance standards of the Institute. OR they find their career interests (majors) are not available for them.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I cannot believe Tech people are saying GSU academics are easier and moving on. GSU academics are lot easier in a lot of ways. I have a kid in school there and she will tell you the same if asked. First, GSU gets nowhere near the numbers of top students as GT or uga. They do not get the top professors, either. That said, I think there are really smart kids there and also very good professors. But GSU could not exist if they demanded the same from their students as GT does. The reason is simple. The high school GPA of incoming freshman at GSU is ridiculously low when compared to Tech. 12% of their incoming freshman have a GPA above 3.75, whereas at GT is 84%. At Tech, 90% of incoming freshmen made above 600 on each of the three SAT components. At GSU it's below 25%, and on the writing test it's 15%.

Now let's talk about their curriculum choices. You get the idea, I am sure.

I doubt more then 5% of the GSU student body would even be accepted at GT.
This is absolutely true and is a very important distinction. Still, there is something very valuable to be taken from what foxyg (and CPJ) are saying. The main thing I'm taking from it is that the ACADEMIC arm at GSU is also majorly committed to being the best at athletics. That is not the case at GT and has been the biggest source of complaints from many of our fans (and coaches) over the last decade or so. I think there have been some strides taken in that area - the addition of a sports emphasis on the management curriculum as an attractive option for athletes, the concession made this year to allow CPJ to not have to worry about the number of exceptions (earned through his record of graduating his players). The indoor facility is a big deal, donated by a benevolent alum (that kind of support is crucial to a top programs). The additional recruiting staff is a big deal - though we should be leading the way in that department rather than finally catching up. Strides have been made, but can we really say that athletic success is a vital concern to the all involved at GT, including the academic arm? That is what it will take to go to the next level - a concerted, collaborative effort by all stakeholders. When this happens, GT will start to be innovative rather than responsive. Everyone will be thinking of ways to bring greater success, everyone will be working toward that goal, it will become an integrated part of the GT existence and experience.

We're good, but we're not great. What do we want to be? Can our culture become one that facilitates greatness without compromising academic rigor, integrity, and excellence? These are the most important questions for anyone on this forum and the most fundamental ones for all of the GT stakeholders.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
This is absolutely true and is a very important distinction. Still, there is something very valuable to be taken from what foxyg (and CPJ) are saying. The main thing I'm taking from it is that the ACADEMIC arm at GSU is also majorly committed to being the best at athletics. That is not the case at GT and has been the biggest source of complaints from many of our fans (and coaches) over the last decade or so. I think there have been some strides taken in that area - the addition of a sports emphasis on the management curriculum as an attractive option for athletes, the concession made this year to allow CPJ to not have to worry about the number of exceptions (earned through his record of graduating his players). The indoor facility is a big deal, donated by a benevolent alum (that kind of support is crucial to a top programs). The additional recruiting staff is a big deal - though we should be leading the way in that department rather than finally catching up. Strides have been made, but can we really say that athletic success is a vital concern to the all involved at GT, including the academic arm? That is what it will take to go to the next level - a concerted, collaborative effort by all stakeholders. When this happens, GT will start to be innovative rather than responsive. Everyone will be thinking of ways to bring greater success, everyone will be working toward that goal, it will become an integrated part of the GT existence and experience.

We're good, but we're not great. What do we want to be? Can our culture become one that facilitates greatness without compromising academic rigor, integrity, and excellence? These are the most important questions for anyone on this forum and the most fundamental ones for all of the GT stakeholders.

What he said.

I suppose my frustration is that I KNOW Paul is a fantastic head coach. I've seen it with my own two eyes before he was even a thought at a place like Georgia Tech. Anyone who reshapes Navy from an 0-10 team to what they've become obviously has coaching chops. He's won everywhere he's been over a long period of time across different schools and different circumstances and things have sort of flat-lined here. So the questions becomes, how much of that is attributable to him? How much is attributable to the school? I don't buy people's explanation that he isn't a tech man, etc. I don't think Paul suddenly forgot how to be a winner and I don't think Paul is simply cashing pay checks. He's too competitive to do that. Further, I don't think he's failed to embrace the Tech mission. His APR scores have been great in that regard.

If you look back at the past thirty years, we're a 7-5 team regardless of who the coach is. I'm not saying that we have to let in any idiot with a 600 on the SAT as long as he can run a 4.5, but I read about how hard Paul has to fight to get exceptions and how difficult it is to keep them eligible and I wonder what the school does to help these kids. I wonder what the school does to help the football program. I read about how hard Paul has to fight to get a modicum of the recruiting staff that has become the standard elsewhere and I wonder how we're ever going to compete with the big boys. I don't know the inner-workings of the hill. I realize Georgia Tech is a lot bigger than a football program, but if we're going to play, we ought to try to be the best. What frustrates me about being a Tech fan is the sort of willingness on the part of our fan base to throw our hands up in the air and say this is all we can do and also the willingness of our fan base to point the finger at the symptoms of our mediocrity rather than the root cause. Coaching changes are not magic elixirs. Things will revert to the mean the longer they go on.

Places like Oklahoma, FSU, Alabama, Oregon, USC, Ohio State, and Notre Dame are good because most of all they care, their school and athletic programs are unified in trying to make the program successful and there's a lot of money that gets pumped into it.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
What he said.

I suppose my frustration is that I KNOW Paul is a fantastic head coach. I've seen it with my own two eyes before he was even a thought at a place like Georgia Tech. Anyone who reshapes Navy from an 0-10 team to what they've become obviously has coaching chops. He's won everywhere he's been over a long period of time across different schools and different circumstances and things have sort of flat-lined here. So the questions becomes, how much of that is attributable to him? How much is attributable to the school? I don't buy people's explanation that he isn't a tech man, etc. I don't think Paul suddenly forgot how to be a winner and I don't think Paul is simply cashing pay checks. He's too competitive to do that. Further, I don't think he's failed to embrace the Tech mission. His APR scores have been great in that regard.

If you look back at the past thirty years, we're a 7-5 team regardless of who the coach is. I'm not saying that we have to let in any idiot with a 600 on the SAT as long as he can run a 4.5, but I read about how hard Paul has to fight to get exceptions and how difficult it is to keep them eligible and I wonder what the school does to help these kids. I wonder what the school does to help the football program. I read about how hard Paul has to fight to get a modicum of the recruiting staff that has become the standard elsewhere and I wonder how we're ever going to compete with the big boys. I don't know the inner-workings of the hill. I realize Georgia Tech is a lot bigger than a football program, but if we're going to play, we ought to try to be the best. What frustrates me about being a Tech fan is the sort of willingness on the part of our fan base to throw up our hands in the air and point the finger at the symptoms of our mediocrity rather than the root cause. Coaching changes are not magic elixirs. Things will revert to the mean the longer they go on.

Places like Oklahoma, FSU, Alabama, Oregon, USC, Ohio State, and Notre Dame are good because most of all they care, their school and athletic programs are unified in trying to make the program successful and there's a lot of money that gets pumped into it.

This...and throw in a partial fan base that is impatient, petulant,and jeers at our starting QB taking the field.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I think that's what some "smart" schools don't understand. One hand CAN help the other. It's doesn't have to be all about academic prestige, or all about sports...it can be both. Stanford, Duke, and Vandy are just waking up to realize that having a great sports program can help their academic mission as well. Not saying GT doesn't care about sports, obviously we do or else we wouldn't invest in all these facilities...but there are other things the school could do to help athletics. But that's a giant discussion for another day.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Where has football helped the academic side of a school? High school or college or university? Standards are compromised to allow admission of better players. How does this help academics? I am glad we have a competitive football and athletic program while maintaining our academic reputation and have not gone the way of MIT, Cal Poly, and other highly regarded engineering schools.

We need to recruit nationwide not SE or Georgia primarily. We have a tougher recruiting mountain to over come and I think CPJ took a couple of years to fully appreciate it. IIRC when he first arrived, he said he would recruit Georgia first. He has learned there are a lot of good HS players in Georgia but the competition for them is fierce and academically many are not able to meet the acceptance standards of the Institute. OR they find their career interests (majors) are not available for them.

Athletics brings attention to the academics...which in turn brings donations from alumni into the schools academic programs. Phil Knight is an Oregon and Stanford grad. He donates money into both schools athletic AND academic departments. GT has donors that do the same.

Athletics also serves as the marketing arm of a school. How many times have we heard about our fans growing up going to GT games with their parents/friend/family and desperately wanting to go to school here after high school because they bled gold growing up? Not everyone can make it to games, and having GT on the television exposes the school to different audiences around the country.

A school like GT and Stanford probably doesn't need athletics to help with academic funding like GSU or Alabama because schools like us have an elite reputation that brings in money regardless. But athletics does help us bring in donations to our academic arms and every bit helps.

Like I said in another post...it doesn't have to be either or in that regard. We can actually have our cake and eat it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
everybody needs to listen from about 15:15 mark or so on...to the end of this presser

it has to be the best discussion paul has had to the media at tech. What he says, is awesome, and shows clearly why at least i feel better about this program this year than i did last.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I disagree that Griffin's performance and Chamberlain's performance were about the same. I take coach at his word for saying it, but I don't agree.

they had similar grades...15 small mistakes will grade out being equal to 2 eye popping whiff mistakes....we all see the whiffs. Paul was a bit defending his guy too...lets be honest he was called out and rightfully so, but paul is not going to go, yeah he was the worst and weak link. Boy bud foster would love to get even more confirmation to what the tape shows.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
Well I went to ga southern, it's not as hard as tech, but football is taken way more serious than at tech imo. Southern win several championships in div iaa, they have a winning tradition and that is what the whole town and fan base expect all the time. Have you ever been to Tuscaloosa, it is a bigger country town than tech, the only reasons anything is there is because of the university, just like Statesboro, just saying there are so many "big time programs" that fit the mold of if football wasn't there there will be nothing there. I know we beat the breaks off southern at Dodd, but they are not going to roll over by no means, just my two cents

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Good point. Not every athlete wants to be an engineer. Tech is unwilling to implement majors that, in general, are more attractive for athletes. Our athletes either have to want to major in one of the few majors we have (very few athletes nationwide) or they are forced to major in one because they want to play at ball at a D1 school.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can't wait till off season is over

You ought to wander over to FTRS and join the brawl over whether Justin is competent to be a college level QB or is he a Heisman candidate. And whether Chamberline is just the worst lineman in the ACC now or in the league's entire history. These are slight exaggerations, but only by a tiny amount. That crowd, me included, has ended the "off season" and is arguing every aspect of the team's play. The Swarm is my release from that! LOL.

str8shooter

Georgia Tech Fan
This won't be the All-Academic Bowl on Saturday. The academics at GS have greatly improved over the years, and they now have the only fully accredited engineering program available south of Atlanta. I don't think that any of the football players at GS have declared that major. The average freshman SAT is higher at GS than at Georgia State, but not quite as high as GT and UGA. The GS number is getting higher every year, and they do have a variety of recognized programs on a nationwide basis. Without question the major sticking point for GT attracting the top high school football talent is the academics and limited degree offerings. There are a number of "smart" schools out there that attract the top talent, but they also offer degree programs that are attractive to a larger number of those four and five star kids.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Where has football helped the academic side of a school? High school or college or university? Standards are compromised to allow admission of better players. How does this help academics? I am glad we have a competitive football and athletic program while maintaining our academic reputation and have not gone the way of MIT, Cal Poly, and other highly regarded engineering schools. ........

Improved football has greatly helped VT. Their applications almost doubled when Beamer started winning. With more applications, they have been able to raise the standard of students accepted. This is the link that every school trying to work their way up the recognition ladder can benefit.

At GT, we are unique, kind of like Stanford or ND (despite their guaranteed graduation Arts & Letters degree), in that we already get the best applications in the country and don't need football to improve the academic capability of incoming students. But I would think that the football program would help Ga Southern academics by bringing in more applicants so that the SAT average of those accepted is improved.