CPJ Press Conference

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
fish, he said he has had other job offers while at Ga Southern, Navy, and while at Tech. But he emphasized that he is never planning his next move when he is coaching at a school. He's just trying to do the best he can where he is.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember a few years back there was talk ND was looking at CPJ before they hired Brian Kelly. Was there any truth to that rumor? If it is true I think it speaks volumes to who CPJ is and what we have in him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I remember a few years back there was talk ND was looking at CPJ before they hired Brian Kelly. Was there any truth to that rumor? If it is true I think it speaks volumes to who CPJ is and what we have in him.

Not sure about ND, others may know more...but I was told by several people "in the know" at Auburn that CPJ was a strong candidate there back in 2008/2009...and that may have been a strong factor in CPJ getting a raise and extension.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For those of us who think PJ is a great fit for us, that last answer was kinda scary.

I thought his comment about "they know what it takes to win at Georgia Southern, and they're committed to doing what it takes to win" (paraphrasing) was a little eye opening. I may just be reading too much into it.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought his comment about "they know what it takes to win at Georgia Southern, and they're committed to doing what it takes to win" (paraphrasing) was a little eye opening. I may just be reading too much into it.

That stuck out to me as well, but I don't know how much to read into it either.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Oh gawd, that makes me worry 'bout Griffin now. All I know is what I saw with my own two eyes on the dvr. I wish I knew how to make vines cause I could load an entire page of whiffs on here.
I just listened to the presser and honed in on the question about BC. The reporter really called him out calling him "bad" and I think CPJ was in protect my player mode. He doesn't like to single guys out and he knows it does no good to do that in public forums. In the lockeroom, who knows, I bet he lit into him. He started to say something then changed his mind and said "I'm not gonna go there..." I wonder what he was gonna say.

He did say that his problems were correctable and that I have a hard time swallowing. He just looks awful slow off the ball to me. He looks like he knows where to go and takes good angles, he just gets there too late. Another thing I noticed is he's on the turf every single play. That might be how he's coached, I dunno.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I disagree that Griffin's performance and Chamberlain's performance were about the same. I take coach at his word for saying it, but I don't agree.

Animal02

Banned

Considering his record at Southern.......he may have been referencing himself.....:D. I am not surprised that he would complement his former school like that. Just keeping it classy.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Considering his record at Southern.......he may have been referencing himself.....:D. I am not surprised that he would complement his former school like that. Just keeping it classy.
From what I gather through 4th hand sources, CPJ has been a little disappointed with the academic restrictions placed on him from a recruiting standpoint. I don't know what was promised to him when he took the job in that regard, but the impression I got was that he felt like he'd been sort of sold a bill of goods in that regard.

All of this is totally 4th hand, but I can see his frustration. Simply put, we have a 7-5 team because that's what we as fans put into it through donations and because of the inability of the athletic association to get many concessions from the hill. At georgia southern, they really, really want to be good and they don't really accept excuses. They have easier academics, but I'll be honest with you, I'm a Tech alum who lives in Statesboro and they have a collective purpose that we are sorely lacking. They have a president who believes that part of being a big time school is having a big time football program and he's doing everything in his power to give the football program everything it needs to succeed. I know it's sort of an apples and oranges comparison, but I don't really think we can say the same thing.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah.....no thanks foxyg. I want to win but not at all costs.
I'm not saying they're breaking rules, but you get the impression that the academic arm of georgia southern is actually invested in having a good football team. Like I said, there's a sense of community and collective purpose there that we simply don't have.