CPJ Press Conference

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with that assessment. So, how do you coach discipline in a football team? I mean, we had a penalty-free, single turnover game against Syracuse that was bookended by ugly games full of both of those things. I know we have some younger guys on the O-line with false starts and young QBs throwing INTs, but then you've got upperclassmen running backs putting the ball on the ground.

I'm not a coach, so I have no idea how you teach focus, consistency, etc. I'm hoping we can recruit or develop a few playmakers to help compensate for the mistakes. It just seems extremely difficult for 18 to 23 years to play mistake-free football.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with that assessment. So, how do you coach discipline in a football team? I mean, we had a penalty-free, single turnover game against Syracuse that was bookended by ugly games full of both of those things. I know we have some younger guys on the O-line with false starts and young QBs throwing INTs, but then you've got upperclassmen running backs putting the ball on the ground.

I'm not a coach, so I have no idea how you teach focus, consistency, etc. I'm hoping we can recruit or develop a few playmakers to help compensate for the mistakes. It just seems extremely difficult for 18 to 23 years to play mistake-free football.
He could go ask Mike Smith what he did those first 5 years

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Coach made the following statement: ""We're a team that's fairly physical."

I would like him to be able to say - We're a team that's real physical!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, but his highest compliment is often, "He's playing okay."

That being said, I'm encouraged by how positive he was about our defense AND about how we've been running the base offense. Saying, "if we don't shoot ourselves, we're a tough out" is pretty high praise.

I also think you can't underestimate the significance of 8 games without a break, 7 against bowl teams from last year.

ToddM

I would bet that CPJ has spoken with Smith as Tech seems to have a good relation with the Falcons. Also the focus issue, Sims would sit every time I saw the ball whirling around in his hand like he tends to carry it. He can focus on the bench until he learns to put it away. As far as the line goes there has to be something in practice that they hate doing. The line is young and so is the QB so this unit gets to "focus" together after practice.

Each false start gets the QB and all lineman 15 up downs or something. They will start making each other focus after a few "reminder" sessions.

Other than that it's just got to be repetition

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Allright, who's the guy that asked about whether we would consider calling up ugag for a consult on Clemson? :banghead:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Allright, who's the guy that asked about whether we would consider calling up ugag for a consult on Clemson? :banghead:

After CPJ mocked the question with sarcasm, I think the same guy followed up with a question about tape on CU vs Georgie's running game. It's like he was shocked by CPJ's response. smh

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
After CPJ mocked the question with sarcasm, I think the same guy followed up with a question about tape on CU vs Georgie's running game. It's like he was shocked by CPJ's response. smh

I hope one of the more seasoned guys pulled him aside and help educate him a bit. You know like the old saying..........................son, I don't believe I'd said that...........................:D

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Running different snap counts and give Vad/JT a list of plays with quick huddles might help. Gotta learn to concentrate on the entire play call. Maybe goin on different snap counts every play in practice. If you go on 1 of 95% the time, some bodies bound to jump offsides when you do decide to change it.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

I agree. However, CPJ is very reserved when it comes to complimenting his own team or himself. He goes about it modestly. Imo, when he says we are fairly physical he believes we are a physical team.

When he talks about the opposing teams we play, his compliments are much less modest.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Having a head buster on the team like Jamea, gets everybodies blood pumping. A few big hits might not change the outcome but if your in a close game it will change the effort. Jerry was bringing it every play against Pitt, something I may have overlooked in other games but I've never seen him go all out an entire game like that. Dieke, watts, Cummings, and hunt days have been gettin after it more too