CPJ on Shamire

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game and went down to the endzone and watched the players sign Ramblin' Wreck (I participated as well) and Devine did not seem happy at all. I hope gets some playing time because we definitely are going to need him in the future.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game and went down to the endzone and watched the players sign Ramblin' Wreck (I participated as well) and Devine did not seem happy at all. I hope gets some playing time because we definitely are going to need him in the future.

It was like 100+ degrees on the field, and he weighs 350+ lbs. I know how I'd feel after a few hours.

murrayjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm always confused when he says this. If he wants him in, why not put him in? Or is it more complicated than that? Does this mean that Sewak is not doing as CPJ expects/wants?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm always confused when he says this. If he wants him in, why not put him in? Or is it more complicated than that? Does this mean that Sewak is not doing as CPJ expects/wants?
Sometimes coaches don't want to answer questions especially when it throws one of his players under the bus. Don't try to read too much into every word that's uttered.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
CPJ isn't always grabbing each player and sending them in. The guy is trying to be the head coach and offensive coordinator. Don't y'all remember how A-backs have to try and be sure to be right up next to CPJ and he will at times just randomly grab one and give them a play call to take in?

I seriously doubt lineman changes are done by CPJ in game but rather that either Sewak or Rychleski are expected to handle sending in units or making changes to personnel.

Who is Shamire second string behind? That can have an impact.

Also, he has practice to beat out the others and take over first string as well. Clearly being first string right now means a heck of a lot of playing time on this team. So congrats to those kids who are earning first string. And it definitely should make competition fierce to stay in first position. I never understand the degree of impatience people have about second stringers getting playing time.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Many tend to want to think the 2nd stringer is the next "football god" who only needs the opportunity of more snaps to destroy our opposition. They fail to realize there is a reason they are listed at 2. Yes I know JT was 2 behind Vad. I saw the reason for this even though I always thought JT was probly the best fit long term for the program. Shamire is #2 right now for a reason. I think long term his future is very bright.....and includes the "league".

murrayjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
To be clear, I'm not second guessing CPJ. He knows the players far better than I and if Shamire is 2nd string there's a reason for it. I am not lobbying for Shamire to be played. He's made similar comments about Days at B back and it's just been something I didn't really understand.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
To be clear, I'm not second guessing CPJ. He knows the players far better than I and if Shamire is 2nd string there's a reason for it. I am not lobbying for Shamire to be played. He's made similar comments about Days at B back and it's just been something I didn't really understand.

Oftentimes when CPJ says "we need to do x" like "get so and so in the game more" he is obliquely referring to assistants. He said similar things about Groh's defense of "we need to simplify." This is his manner of both allowing himself to voice an opinion on how his team is playing or things that they could try and do going forward and not separating himself from the criticism he is voicing in a "throw assistant X under the bus" manner.

I think CPJ does two things I like in how he runs a program on this front.

First, he makes sure to put himself out there as the figurehead and voice of the program as well as also the lightning rod for criticism. You can argue over if he takes criticism well enough or not . . . fine, argue over that. But he does set things up so that he is the one getting the heat.

Second, he lets his assistants have actual responsibility and some freedom to do their jobs. I appreciate that he tries to find a balance. He values having a unified front and public voice as well as acknowledges the reality of a hierarchy of which he is the top and makes it clear that he is "in charge." But I also see his manner of speaking as a way to protect his assistants from criticism and include himself in the decisions of his underlings with that royal "we" even when he is actually giving them a lot more freedom than it may seem to the outside.

I prefer CPJ's approach to all those teams like VT where the defensive coordinator or OC has a larger-than-life stature even beyond the head coach and you end up with goofy "coach in waiting" scenarios (like recently at Texas or FSU, etc.). Maybe CPJ's approach means less notoriety and praise for an individual assistant but it clearly doesn't hamper their career prospects if you look at how many head coaches have come from his "tree." But where the assistants may get less praise they also are getting less heat as well and I think that aspect is a more serious motivator for CPJ given that he clearly has bred loyalty in staff over the years. I consider all this an important element in leadership.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
....... I never understand the degree of impatience people have about second stringers getting playing time.

I want to see the more second string players in the game because:
1) it develops the second string players; they will play one day and many will be called upon at the spur of the moment based on injury to the starter
2) second string players who are rested can be better than first string who are tired (depends on the talent gap)
3) it shows who is a gamer; some people must practice better than they play in the game (Chamberlain)
4) it increases competition among players which, although uncomfortable for some, brings out the best
5) reduces chance of injury to starters due to fatigue or playing in less important parts of the game.