CPJ on Radio

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Nothing shocking and thought CPJ handled the questions well. Forgot that he only has one child and apparently she's into music.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Good to see the four letter network showing the ACC some love. They have CPJ tied up pretty much from 10:00 to 3:00....hope they give the coaches a break to p

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ha! I thought that 10-3 schedule would include a lunch break or something...nope, gonna make CPJ earn that money! Great opportunity for CPJ to promote GT. Not many opportunities for coaches in general to promote their programs, but CPJ (as well as other coaches on that list) have the opportunity to do it on a major sports network across different platforms.

Hopefully we hear a lot of "We're one of the most consistent teams in a the nation in terms of winning and going to the postseason. Once we get those next level kids *winks into the camera*, we'll be contending for championships every year like FSU and Alabama. We feel like the class we have now is the next step toward that. Young men with high aspirations for life can't spend 4-5 years in a better place than Atlanta while earning a world renown degree."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Wow, that radio announcer, before CPJ comes on, is ignorant. He equates the record with the offense. Way to not do your homework.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. Whenever I listen to him (that is, when the reporters are not totally antagonistic) he comes across as the most level headed, straight talking and common sense thinking coach anyone could listen to today. Very very little coach speak and a lot of insight both into coaching and his soul.

CPJ is actually personable and pretty funny if he's not around reporters.

He hangs out at a local watering hole every now and again in my area and he treats everyone at the place with great respect. Everyone pretty much leaves him alone. There was a guy walking around in a GT hat once and CPJ told the guy "Nice hat!" The guy had no clue who CPJ was...

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer

He hangs out at a local watering hole every now and again in my area and he treats everyone at the place with great respect. Everyone pretty much leaves him alone. There was a guy walking around in a GT hat once and CPJ told the guy "Nice hat!" The guy had no clue who CPJ was...

He really is. I had a chance to see him at a coaches clinic here in Greensboro. He was going over his TO with the high school coaches here and had some funny responses and stories. I got to talk with him in between our offense and defense coaches talks. I guess he thought I was a reporter of some type because I was taking notes and was the only person in the room that had a GT shirt on.

Have him to tell you about the time he first arrive at Tech and was having breakfast at the Sliver Skillet (man, they had good country ham) what the waitress said to him. :)

Last edited:

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
My bro-in-law told me he used to go to some of his frat parties and have some beers after the games in statesboro. He's a uga fan but loves CPJ from those days.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

This. My wife and I work in downtown Atlanta so it's easy for us to attend the coach's radio show after work each week. When he's in a friendly crowd he's very easygoing, and you'll see him smiling and joking around with folks before, during, and after the show. He's particularly friendly with those of us he recognizes as regulars. He has stopped to chat briefly with us several times on his way in or out, once he realized that we were there every week. He even promised my wife he'd check up on me one week when she would be out of town, to make sure that I attended the show on my own.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My bro-in-law told me he used to go to some of his frat parties and have some beers after the games in statesboro. He's a uga fan but loves CPJ from those days.

He use to hold a weekly review/Q&A session with the upper level cadets at Navy and supply beers for everyone.

It would be cool if he did the same thing at GT (minus the beers) for GT students only to get them primed for the week ahead.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I agree with a lot of the comments above regarding CPJ's personality. His is the only weekly radio show and post game interviews I regularly listen to, as I find his comments to generally be informative, non-BS, and often times humorous.

On another note, I have heard a lot of different things about CPJ's relationship with Georgia HS coaches. Overall, how is it? Bad, good, okay? Has it gotten better or worse over his time here?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
When he gets a chance to go off the record with reporters, CPJ is great. Has a great rapport with the writers (look at the blog posts from the Navy beat writer at the Annapolis paper during PJ's days there. Some entertaining back and forth and not very mean spirited, either, just guys having fun needling each other). I think Schultz and Bradley actually like PJ a lot and like his sense of humor, when he lets it show.
But the whole Chernoff episode, when Chernoff kept pushing the one button and PJ finally got tired of the same question, didn't help. And of course the Morons in the AM unloading on PJ (thank God they're gone and 790 is no longer the flagship station) didn't help matters.
I think Suguira and PJ get along, though I wonder sometimes if PJ's sense of humor really comes across.

When it was Wes doing the weekly radio show with PJ, you could tell they really got along well. I think it's taken time for PJ to warm up to Brandon but the fact he's thrown a few jabs his way shows PJ is OK with him. Brandon just has to figure out how to take the barbs and how to get a good comeback on PJ.