CPJ notes from Wednesday

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah exactly...I was saying both players have already redshirted...usually players redshirt the first year if they aren't going to play that year...which is exactly what happened with Snoddy and Andrews.
Thanks for clearing that up. I know it must be a pain to have to deal with rookies so I appreciate it. :bookworm:

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Days is more like 1b instead of 2 at Bback. He'll get plenty of reps. Even Laskey said so.[/QUOTE

define plenty... I'm hearing the plan is to keep Laskey fresh until we get into ACC play. Believe it or not there is quite a bit of difference in BB play between the 2 which is why Laskey is the clear #1. That being said, Laskey will need to be spelled some during a game and I think Connors will get a few carries too. Ball security could be a issue also. GT has to play solid error free ball especially on offense. If we put our "D" on the field too much we could be in trouble. Depth is a problem on the D line IMO.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There are probably multiple reasons for putting Days at B back, but I wonder if one big one isn't his blocking on pass plays. Laskey and Sims both whiffed a lot when we might have had time to throw if they could have at least slowed someone up.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I honestly dont believe they moved Days to Bback this late in camp for him to stay there the whole year. I was looking forward to watching him smash people on the outside. What use is he on the bench? Theres got to be more to this. Maybe just to keep Laskey fresh until the big games come around. Conners is a competent backup until Leggett heals up some.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
They are going to ride Laskey hard this year. Like Ggee stated they are going to keep him fresh until the ACC games roll around. He's there for depth purposes which is a good move since he basically became #5 or so at the AB spot. You don't move a starting AB to a new position to be a back up.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
They are going to ride Laskey hard this year. Like Ggee stated they are going to keep him fresh until the ACC games roll around. He's there for depth purposes which is a good move since he basically became #5 or so at the AB spot. You don't move a starting AB to a new position to be a back up.
I think you do on the rare occasion that the backup to the AB is just as good whereas the backup to the BB is a significant dropoff. Reason being, the backup BBack will get almost as much playing time as any of the guys in the AB rotation. I think that is the exact situation we have this year with the plethora of options we have at AB and the 1-horse rodeo we have at BBack - that coupled with Days' high level of versatility, familiarity with the offense (from QB days), and big body type. This move makes sense even if Days would've been a starter at AB. If Custis-gate hadn't happened, we might very well have kept Days as a probable starter at AB. The emergence of Perkins and the improved health of Hill means we still have guys who can do what Days could do at AB, so it's not going to negatively affect that position significantly - not as significantly as his move to BB will positively affect that position.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think you do on the rare occasion that the backup to the AB is just as good whereas the backup to the BB is a significant dropoff. Reason being, the backup BBack will get almost as much playing time as any of the guys in the AB rotation. I think that is the exact situation we have this year with the plethora of options we have at AB and the 1-horse rodeo we have at BBack - that coupled with Days' high level of versatility, familiarity with the offense (from QB days), and big body type. This move makes sense even if Days would've been a starter at AB. If Custis-gate hadn't happened, we might very well have kept Days as a probable starter at AB. The emergence of Perkins and the improved health of Hill means we still have guys who can do what Days could do at AB, so it's not going to negatively affect that position significantly - not as significantly as his move to BB will positively affect that position.
Agree completely plus one other big plus you forgot to mention: Days' blocking in pass pro. Laskey is not known for it, to be kind.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Days blocking will be a big huge change/advantage in passing!
We're kind of all making an assumption that he'll be a lot better at pass blocking than Laskey, but that's not totally certain, imo. AB blocking isn't a 1-to-1 correlation to BB blocking though there is some overlap. AB's are blocking at an angle running and cutting off (usually with a cutblock) a OLB or S or CB. The BB has someone coming straight at him whom he has to stymie either with a straight up block or a cutblock, and that person is usually a trained pass rusher like a DE or and blitzing/rush OLB. Synjyn might be the man for that job though. But, if Laskey struggles with it (as did Sims), it must not be too easy.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Days blocks well in space and many times the BB is asked to pickup a pass rusher in space.

Days can also block with cuts and "stand up with hands".

I did see a few blocks by Days in the released videos of the scrimmages.

But, it is all conjecture until we see them on game day.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Days blocks well in space and many times the BB is asked to pickup a pass rusher in space.

You're right about that, can we fast forward to tomorrow morning now?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
There is really going to be a dearth of exp in the backfield next yr at RB compared to this yr.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer

I keep thinking that Days at BB will bring back some of the outside long runs of Dwyer and AA. I don't recall many if any of those plays with Lasky and Sims. I am hoping Perkins shows up as a Roddy Jones clone this year.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sims and Laskey are "bulls" even after they clear the line. Byerly runs in the same fashion. The seem to want to crash into the defensive backs.

Mat Conners is actually one that looks to go left or right once he gets free. I do want to caveat that Laskey "bent" his mid line run in the spring game for a TD.

Days improved as a runner at the end of last year and he says he has worked on running during the summer. Beginning 2013 season, he seemed to want to "jump" over defenders. We will only know once he gets a few carries.

The best running BB needs to have power to get through the line and then field awareness and quickness to get past the secondary.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I said a couple years ago on another site, some of you may remember, (this is when we were anticipating a move from QB for SD) that as soon as he shows up at BB he will be the best one we have. I still believe that to this day. I like the decision. Days is a big body with a knack for running in traffic. He blocked well as an AB and he can catch, but lets face it, sprinting towards the boundary and making cuts is not his forte. If he can hang on to the football in the trash, he will be an incredibly hard guy to put on the ground. He can bounce around, keep the legs churning, and buck like a bronco. I remember the days (no pun) when he was playing QB, he was great on the keep reads. He just fumbled too much. He brings an agility that Sims never had and Lasky doesn't have now. He may not be able to dust the secondary in a sprint, but he will be a load.