CPJ needs to be fired

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Management of his company has revenue based on donations from fans. Fans who want improvement refuse to provide the funds needed to do the things they demand. The fundraising campaign is now over. 274 people donated. That should tell you who is at fault for the budget constraints.
Lots of truth in that. However some of the blame for the limited donations was/is lack of advance "marketing" of the drive AND the limited time run of the drive. Also, don't do a drive like this Five weeks before Christmas. September, October or March and April would make more sense. But hey, I wasn't asked about the timing of duration.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of fans are overlooking this fact: if you want CPJ gone(personally I don't), who will replace him? There are many other coaching vacancies, including big names like Arkansas, Florida, Nebraska, Texas A&M(most likely), Tennessee. This is not the year to do it if we want to get a hire that we would actually be happy with. And no I do not want Kendal Briles(LOL).

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
PJ needs the money and support of the school. I want staff changes asap on both sides. O line and D coordinator. There's literally no reason to fire him with 2 years left on his contract. That would be flat out stupid. Unless there's some help financially and academically no coach that's any better than PJ would touch this job and I can't imagine anyone from PJ's coaching tree would want this job if nothing is changed internally. I hope Todd does enough in the next 2 years to convince PJ to stay and gets him the help he needs.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I don't receive the AD's salary, so it's not up to me to know "who." I just hope we don't keep making the same mistake that the athletic board has made with the last 2 hires.

1. Don't hire a coach without prior Power 5 experience. Gailey and Johnson had a combined 0 years when hired--I am including years as an assistant. Gailey had 0 years FBS experience.
2. Don't hire a head coach. We can't afford the head coach we would want. We have to hire an up and coming assistant.
3. Hire a proven recruiter. People complain that we have recruiting disadvantages, then we bring in a staff from Navy that doesn't have experience recruiting at the P5 level. Recruiting at Navy and Ga So. are different deals than ACC/SEC recruiting.
4. Hire someone with good administrative skills. That was George O'Leary's strength, and not X's and O's.
5. Hire a great work ethic. That's what Ross, O'Leary and Friedgen had in common. They weren't great golfers. The first day that Bobby Ross took off after the beginning of 1988 fall practice was July 4 weekend in 1989.

Remember that Dabo was a position coach when Clemson promoted him to HC. He was selling real estate in Alabama before that. He isn't an X's and O's genius, but he is a good recruiter and a good administrator.

So, no, I don't know "who" our coach should be, because I don't know every P5 assistant out there who is ready to move up. But our AD should.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want a change at HC. My understanding from various sources is that we will make a change at DC. If that is true I will throw a name out.

Blake Baker - he followed Diaz of Miami around and I think he is the DC at La Tech. He runs a 4/2/5 and a 2/4/5 defense. I like the idea of a 2/4/5 lineup against a lot of the spread teams. We have a hard time landing the typical dominant inside guys to run a 3-4 or 4-3. The 2-4-5 stands the ends up and relies on speed and aggression to generate pressure. I think we have a better shot at making that successful than running the same nickel scheme everyone else runs.

I also like the idea of a 4-4 defense like Bud Foster runs, but I don’t think we have a shot at getting him.

I would also like to see 4 adds to the recruiting staff to help find good talent.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want a change at HC. My understanding from various sources is that we will make a change at DC. If that is true I will throw a name out.

Blake Baker - he followed Diaz of Miami around and I think he is the DC at La Tech. He runs a 4/2/5 and a 2/4/5 defense. I like the idea of a 2/4/5 lineup against a lot of the spread teams. We have a hard time landing the typical dominant inside guys to run a 3-4 or 4-3. The 2-4-5 stands the ends up and relies on speed and aggression to generate pressure. I think we have a better shot at making that successful than running the same nickel scheme everyone else runs.

I also like the idea of a 4-4 defense like Bud Foster runs, but I don’t think we have a shot at getting him.

I would also like to see 4 adds to the recruiting staff to help find good talent.
Another name that I'll throw out there is Alex Grinch, Washington State's DC. They are even more undersized on the DL than our guys are and yet every time I watch them, the DL is getting in the backfield and causing mayhem regularly because he teaches them to attack gaps.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
PJ needs the money and support of the school. I want staff changes asap on both sides. O line and D coordinator. There's literally no reason to fire him with 2 years left on his contract. That would be flat out stupid. Unless there's some help financially and academically no coach that's any better than PJ would touch this job and I can't imagine anyone from PJ's coaching tree would want this job if nothing is changed internally. I hope Todd does enough in the next 2 years to convince PJ to stay and gets him the help he needs.

Why do you believe that staff changes will make a difference? Paul Johnson has posted a losing record vs. FBS teams in 5 of the last 8 years. We have had O line and DC staff changes during that time. The one constant is Paul Johnson.
If Paul Johnson isn't getting the support he needs, why doesn't he leave? The answer is simple--no other school would hire him at near the salary he is paid by GT.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
12 Sept 2015- Tulane (did not travel that well) over 50K (why? Becuase 2014 we won)
3 Oct 2015- UNC (I guess they must have traveled well) over 50K
Then the fans realized 2015 was a train wreck and did not show....

2017 - over 42K in Season tickets and fans a Buzz to face Tenn in a Chick fil A kickoff. Only to have the Star RB from the team dismissed a few days before, and a double OT loss that we should have won.

I can go on and on about 2017, but my point is folks will show if Georgia Tech could ever put back to back 9 win season together. The problem is they haven't.

Now about commitment, I agree that there are some who have high expectations and low commitment and that will have to change if we are ever to put back to back 9 win season together.
They will not. And for whatever reason those who would seem to think that success precedes their buy-in. Sorry, the inverse must be true for there to any real change.

The reality of the situation is that the team this year looked pretty poorly coached, but it’s also reasonable to point out that we’re in the (lower) middle class of the sport and because of that, we’re noy likely going to go on a run where that is substantially changed if there isn’t some kind of material change to the infrastructure the school provides. Unless or until that happens, we should consider ourselves lucky to have had the success we’ve enjoyed with Johnson.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The AD facilitates the hiring of a HC. The HC works on his staff. The AD does not work on the HC staff folks. It just doesn't happen. And if or when it does, usually the HC quits or doesn't take the job. There are rare cases when you keep a guy like Bud Foster...exception, not the rule.

CPJ isn't going anywhere next year.

So, the question is who will CPJ go after for his new staff that he should shake up?

Who does he let go? We don't know yet. But, I think the entire D staff could be gone.

Who is on the market then? Is paul going to do what he did with the last two, go on a name and not a fit? Not a fit schematically for this school? He needs to really focus on what types of schemes work here, gap attacking that requires slighter DL to do it, like Tenuta could do. We never had 300 lbers under him. We recruited smaller guys, added weight and attacked gaps by scheme and aggression. I think that is what you need to do here, or similar to.

So, I believe, perhaps here is a scenario that could play out. I hope it does, but you never know.

1 the most overpaid avg assistant in all the land is let go. His staff is too pending interviews by new DC.
2 we hire a new DC, who then, is allowed to hire his own staff, maybe with some of Pauls help and of course with Pauls approval. Perhaps, that new DC decides to keep one of our current D asst. Maybe not. Up to him.
3 It probably will never happen. but sewak is let go.
4 we hire 4-5 shadow staff

We will see.

Then, pauls contract expires in a few years, if after 2018 or 2019 the direction is still status quo...he will be gone. And thats fine. 12 years at any school in today's era is rare and probably long enough.

I like some of TCU's d staff as an option. I think that is a good style for us.

I absolutely love Mike Zimmer philosophy and plays on D. I would love to see if we can get someone from the Zimmer coaching tree....That does't mean one of his current assistants, but someone who worked under him for a while that runs similar D and is a college fit. His son Adam Zimmer could be a thought...

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple of thoughts to consider before grabbing the rope and forming a lynch mob
- there are 130 programs at our level and about 90 of them would love to be us for the last 10 years.
- this is a horrible year to go coach shopping, with a huge number of programs with more resources looking
- some of the low life zero morals "coaches" proposed on the first couple of pages would be much worse than the clean ones we have.
- I'm not sure why all the self proclaimed assistant athlete directors think that we have the will or resources to hire and RETAIN a first class coaching staff. Hasn't happened in 50 years.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I give money every year to Alex Tharpe as a fan of GT athletics. If we are expected to pony up more then I want to know what it is to be used for. Just to blindly throw more money to GTAA doesn' compute.

unrestricted donations to AT fund can go anywhere in the AA

restricted points to a particular endowment.

if you have been donating to AT fund unrestricted...it can go to womens volleyball for all you know. But it stays within the AA.

The football seat licenses, even that, become slush revenue to pay for other sports...which is sad. It should all stay in football. But our football revenue pays for all sports but BBall.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
A couple of thoughts to consider before grabbing the rope and forming a lynch mob
- there are 130 programs at our level and about 90 of them would love to be us for the last 10 years.
- this is a horrible year to go coach shopping, with a huge number of programs with more resources looking
- some of the low life zero morals "coaches" proposed on the first couple of pages would be much worse than the clean ones we have.
- I'm not sure why all the self proclaimed assistant athlete directors think that we have the will or resources to hire and RETAIN a first class coaching staff. Hasn't happened in 50 years.

your last bullet couldn't be more wrong IMO the way you phrased it.

In 1998 we had one of the best staffs ever. All future major HC; we retained alot of these guys for years. A perfect example of when it was done in the last 50 years. I also suggest you look at the staff in 1990. The only guy who left below after one year was edsall, but the rest were in our program a good bit of time.

Randy Edsall
GOL
Fridge
Doug Marrone
Bill Obrien
Glen Spencer (DC at Ok State)

Point is, maybe you are right for sure it todays' football with huge spending. But, to say its never happened is not true. We had great staffs, a combination of young up and comers and proven coaches.

Where I do agree, and maybe this is what you mean, is we aren't going to hire Saban to come in. Ok peace. But we have had great staffs here....

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Lots of truth in that. However some of the blame for the limited donations was/is lack of advance "marketing" of the drive AND the limited time run of the drive. Also, don't do a drive like this Five weeks before Christmas. September, October or March and April would make more sense. But hey, I wasn't asked about the timing of duration.

If UGA had a fundraising drive for athletics, which was timed during the Florida game week, and did nothing but post a statement on their main web page that they looking for donations during the rivalry week to help UGA athletics keep up with the rest of the SEC, how many people would have donated? More or less than 274? I am certain it would be more. More or less than 2,7400? I am pretty sure it would be more. More or less than 10,000? That is only in the range where I don't have a good idea if they would reach it or not.

GTAA sent out mass emails. GTAA got people to send out social media invites for people to donate. GTAA set up prize raffles for people who donated during the campaign. Nothing. I do understand that some have donated previously or have recurring monthly donations. However: If 1 out of 100 recurring season ticket holders had donated it would be between 250-300. If 1 out of 100 alumni living in the state had donated it would have been 500. If 1 out of 100 living alumni had donated it would have been 1,230.

Mutt coach asks for 75,000 to show up at the spring game, and they get an estimated 93,000. Clemson asks for donations from fans and get almost $400 per year per alumnus. GT fans do not compete with major college football fans. If GT fans want the team to compete with major college football, the GT fans need to compete with major college football fans.

Imagine a mutt fan, Clemson fan, Texas A&M fan, Alabama fan, etc looking at a week long campaign and the numbers that GT fans put up. No matter if you think the marketing of the campaign was good enough, or how many people have already donated, 274 is laughable.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure if this was posted or not already (might be insider information). A donor has offered the program millions of dollars for CPJ and TStan to clean house and get some better coaches. If we want to compete we need to get better and more assistant coaches.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The AD facilitates the hiring of a HC. The HC works on his staff. The AD does not work on the HC staff folks. It just doesn't happen. And if or when it does, usually the HC quits or doesn't take the job. There are rare cases when you keep a guy like Bud Foster...exception, not the rule.

CPJ isn't going anywhere next year.

Who hired George O'Leary as DC in 1994? Homer Rice. I don't believe Homer was HC. So it does happen. It's happened at GT.

If Radakovich had hired an OC, Gailey might have turned out to be a good HC. Gailey's failure was thinking that he knew how to coach offense at the P5 level. He was actually pretty good otherwise, but the flaw was a fatal one.

I agree that Johnson will be back next year, even though the only positive thing that Bobinski did was reduce the buyout for 2018-2020 to $1 million/year. We need to at least get Hewitt off the payroll before any coaching change is made.

Paul needs to clean house. Been saying it. Roof is a disaster. If he isnt one of em, hard for me to donate another dollar to tech.

Not that my few grand matters. But its a matter of principle.

Roof is simply at best an avg coach.

Now. We need more recruiting staff too. And Paul needs to take a HARD look in the mirror too. But ted has to go to start.
If you are going to call for Ted"S head, then the HC should also be shown the front door also. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop. Leader leads, he takes full responsibility for the failures of the team. Paul isn't that man. Special teams alone should get him fired. Two thirds of this team is is bad and the one third that Paul calls the plays for is below avg. His snarky attitude towards the world can be tollerated when you win, but when you don't compete it's ugly and embarrassing to watch. I wouldn't send my son to play for him.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I give money every year to Alex Tharpe as a fan of GT athletics. If we are expected to pony up more then I want to know what it is to be used for. Just to blindly throw more money to GTAA doesn' compute.
I wouldn't say that anyone is expected to pay more, but that your expectations of the program should match your commitment to it. GTAA is not swimming in money. To blindly expect them to get better results with existing funding doesn't compute.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk