CPJ names kick returners

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Jaytlin Askew and Juanyeh Thomas

"Askew is a sophomore cornerback considered to be one of the fastest players on the team. "

@vamosjackets - could Jaytlin B Askew be the mysterious JB that Quon referred to in camp as the fastest guy on the team?
Great call @Dustman. I think someone mentioned that possibility over on that other thread too. This definitely makes that the most likely possibility.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Here's the link to Ken's article. To clarify, he says that CPJ named these guys as "candidates" but I won't be surprised when 33 lines up deep for our first kickoff return. Depending on the coin flip we may not see that until the second half though.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/notes-from-paul-johnson-teleconference/OoGcQAaVpy9xvCSy4hNJFP/

He also said that Dontae Smith had a nice return for the scout team. I had seen Dontae returning a kick in one of the camp videos. I'm a little worried about what this says about our kickoff coverage though.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Jaytlin does a lot of the things you like in a KR, based on his HS film. And he's in a backup role right now, so he'll be ready for that twitch fiber play on KO return.

I think Golden was the last time we had a threat back there, and I think he lost a little in that role once he became a starter (which is likely more important than KO return).

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to be too nitpicky, but Juanyeah hits real hard and doesn't really extend his arms to make catches. I see why he's at safety, and hopefully they can train him up for more reps as the season goes.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The kickoff return team should only have to go out once per game. I’d focus on punt returners.

Yeah, the 'news' will be who the PR will be. Our punt return has been a non-factor for years.

I get the value of erring on the side of super-cautious but I also see that PR is a genuine weapon for every team we face. Seems like when you only fair-catch, most of what can happen benefits your opponent.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's the link to Ken's article. To clarify, he says that CPJ named these guys as "candidates" but I won't be surprised when 33 lines up deep for our first kickoff return. Depending on the coin flip we may not see that until the second half though.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/notes-from-paul-johnson-teleconference/OoGcQAaVpy9xvCSy4hNJFP/

He also said that Dontae Smith had a nice return for the scout team. I had seen Dontae returning a kick in one of the camp videos. I'm a little worried about what this says about our kickoff coverage though.
When asked about fall camp, CPJ said "...overall, I can't complain." Let the hype intensify.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I remember when we were recruiting guys like Carpenter and Oliver and Henderson and Thomas and Showell, thinking to myself that there would be quite a few transfers just because there wasn't enough playing time to go around.

little did I realize Coach Johnson's master plan was to hire a defensive coordinator who was going to play three or four safety's every single play, LOL