CPJ "lunch bunch" report

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For those who don't know, the Hive does a monthly event where they have a guest speaker and lunch at a local restaurant. They just had CPJ speak and I wanted to share their observations. Some really good insights into coach's personality and outlook for the year.

One thing about recruiting that I've talked about here several times is that it was my impression that GT is a tough place to learn to recruit - meaning it takes time to figure it out. I also always say we have to find kids that fit GT first, football second. CPJ confirmed these very sentiments.

He said it took him a few years (and it takes new assistants a while too) to get a feel for kind of kids that can be successful at Tech. Ultimately, you talk to everyone but you need to focus your time and energy on the kids who are the best fit.

I know many of you never visit the Hive and I don't go there very often myself, but this thread is well worth the read.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=140&f=2938&t=12804965

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Good read.
I like how he feels about conference realignment.
The whole recruiting info is very interesting.
I know I wouldn't get a lot of player specific info but he sounds optimistic, from what I read.
Personally I would have loved to hear him speak about the development or lack of development in the passing game, and about his usage of the shotgun spread.

boozinbuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Personally I would have loved to hear him speak about the development or lack of development in the passing game, and about his usage of the shotgun spread.
I was there. He made comments to the effect of "getting back to what we are good at" so I wouldn't expect any thing substantial this year.

rbr

Georgia Tech Fan
we aren't very good at anything...so I'm not sure what he's referring to... if he means "run, run, run" then this season will blow bigger than the previous seasons unless he upgrades the talent on the offensive line.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
we aren't very good at anything...so I'm not sure what he's referring to... if he means "run, run, run" then this season will blow bigger than the previous seasons unless he upgrades the talent on the offensive line.
The most illogical statement ever. Last season we, relative to CPJ offense, were very pass heavy and boy was it a great year offensively, whereas when Nesbitt and Tevin were leading us to more running plays the offense really was blowing (sarcasm).

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I could care less if we pass 50 times a game or run 50 times..just win.
In 2008 and 2009, we won 20 games passing less than 20% of the time. I don't know what is so confusing about the idea that our run game creates our passing game so our run game has to work before the passing game will work. If we can't run, we can't pass. That's just not how we roll.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the observations show a side of coach's demeanor with fans that gets very little attention. All you hear about is him being surly with the press. The comments about him being funny, gracious, staying longer than planned, etc fly in the face of what some people like to pass around the message boards.

Also, the posters on the other site who offered their observations said way much more was said about specifics that they felt they were not at liberty to divulge online. The last thing they want to do is say something that prevents future speaking engagements.

Personally, I agree that coach wants to get back to basics and that perfecting the base aspects of the offense opens it up to the more "fancy" stuff. We tried to do the latter last year w/o the former and it did not work as planned.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the link DCS. There are times I talked to CPJ in 2008 and 9 that he was very friendly and relaxed. He hasn't had that demeanor much the last few years. But he knows his way around the block, and for a day he was relaxed.

Like Eric, I don't care how we win. I just know that we have to have an effective passing game or the good teams shut down our running attack. Then we have to pass and for whatever reason, we aren't good at it. I think because we don't do it enough against good defenses (our scout team isn't nearly as good as a top 20 team!).

CPJ is going into his 7th season. That ties Curry and O'Leary's time. Everyone else since Dodd were here less time. The audition is over and we know what we have. And he does too, he has figured out a lot but hasn't produced at the level that I think he expected or demands of himself. I think that his dis-satisfaction with how he has done is a large part of why he has a semi permanent crappy attitude when interviewed. So if he is more optimistic and relaxed, that is good.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the link DCS. There are times I talked to CPJ in 2008 and 9 that he was very friendly and relaxed. He hasn't had that demeanor much the last few years. But he knows his way around the block, and for a day he was relaxed.

Like Eric, I don't care how we win. I just know that we have to have an effective passing game or the good teams shut down our running attack. Then we have to pass and for whatever reason, we aren't good at it. I think because we don't do it enough against good defenses (our scout team isn't nearly as good as a top 20 team!).

CPJ is going into his 7th season. That ties Curry and O'Leary's time. Everyone else since Dodd were here less time. The audition is over and we know what we have. And he does too, he has figured out a lot but hasn't produced at the level that I think he expected or demands of himself. I think that his dis-satisfaction with how he has done is a large part of why he has a semi permanent crappy attitude when interviewed. So if he is more optimistic and relaxed, that is good.
Sometimes you run up against a defense that is just plain ol' better than you. In those cases, there's not much you can do about it. It happens to the best of offenses, by the way. But I agree, we have to be able to pass the ball when defenses commit extra resources to stopping the running game. When you have man coverage on the outside, you should be licking your chops, not praying for a miracle.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
...Personally I would have loved to hear him speak about the development or lack of development in the passing game, and about his usage of the shotgun spread.

Do you think he is going to say anything different than his usual canned responses? :)