GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Northern Illinois 12-2
Fresno St 11-2
Stanford 11-3
UCLA 10-3
LSU 10-3
Oklahoma St 10-3

At some point you HAVE to look beyond W-L record. While the top two had good years, not sure the bottom 4 would trade with them.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Northern Illinois 12-2
Fresno St 11-2
Stanford 11-3
UCLA 10-3
LSU 10-3
Oklahoma St 10-3

At some point you HAVE to look beyond W-L record. While the top two had good years, not sure the bottom 4 would trade with them.

Really? We were 7-6 and received 0 votes for Top 25. Fresno State finished ranked #27 in AP rankings and received 57 votes. Northern Illinois finished #28 and had 22 Top 25 votes. I'd trade places with them in a heartbeat.

Regarding would those 4 who finished in the Top 25 trade places with them? I'm sure they wouldn't but comparing a 2-loss team to a 3-loss team is a whole different planet than comparing 2/3 loss teams to a 7 loss team.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree. But I'll finish the conversation with one final point.

When you think back to Bobby Dodd, or Bobby Ross, or George O'Leary....when people talk about them, whether it's your friends or the media or you...how many times do you say "well that SOB was always in the top 4 in the SEC or ACC"? Or do you just talk about how we had a 10 win season that year...or we won 11 that year?

In the end, I contend a coach is judged on his win/loss record. Period.
Don't worry, when you get older, you'll understand better.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
The ACC is no different top to bottom than any other conference. It has it's elite, middle of the road and patsy teams. Find me a conference that does not have a tiered ladder of strength.

As far as Uga and BYU go, Uga has 4 times the star power of GT and that's including their injured players and not including ours. BYU has one of the highest home winning percentages in all of college football and guess where we played them..... that's right.
Afraid my friend that the elite in the ACC doesnt match up to the elite in SEC.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm confused...didn't the elit-iest of the ACC just beat te elite-iest of the SEC in the National Championship?

You're absolutely correct. In 2013, the ACC's very best one team beat the team that came out of the SEC as the best team. But, how did we match up across the board of the "elites" with them? According to CPJ, we're top 4 in the ACC. We lost to UGA who isn't even in the top 4 of the SEC. Clemson (#2 in the ACC) got hammered by South Carolina. Duke (finished #2 in the ACC) lost to about 7th place Texas A&M. Virginia Tech lost to Alabama (the #2 of the SEC) at the beginning of the year and according to CPJ, Virginia Tech is in top 4 in ACC in wins so they must be elite.

And let's not forget that the SEC had won the previous 7 MNC's. But we did indeed win that one game.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I'm confused...didn't the elit-iest of the ACC just beat te elite-iest of the SEC in the National Championship?
yep you got it...Seminoles won the nc yet pray tell when was last time a ACC team won the title....been a long time,.....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Afraid my friend that the elite in the ACC doesnt match up to the elite in SEC.
Top to bottom they have better football, but their dominance is over. FSU is already better than any of them and Clemson is nipping at their heels. ACC is not the laughing stock it once was.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Top to bottom they have better football, but their dominance is over. FSU is already better than any of them and Clemson is nipping at their heels. ACC is not the laughing stock it once was.

You may be right about FSU. But, like us, Clemson has to learn to handle their in-state SEC rivals before they can claim that they can compete on the national level. They are definitely getting better though. Problem is, I just don't see any other ACC teams being able to compete at that level. Miami is getting the athletes now to do so but it remains to be seen if they can do that on a national stage.

I'm not sure about the SEC's reign of terror being over though. I still think Bama may make a run for a NC this year.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Nope dont think so....I will take Bama,LSU ,Auburn and even georgie over what we have.I give FSU credit they did well but hey Auburn not the best test they could have had in the big one.Where has FSU been ? Where has Clemson been on national scale.........just my take on it my friend but the four programs especially LSU and Bama are always playing for something big.Not even counting on a return from Fla or the upstart Mizzou or AM which makes the SEC stronger.Gosh our butt whipping by young Ole Miss team should have gotten our atttention.I see no let up in SEC dominance but of course I also said that Elvis and the Beatles were one trick ponies also.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Really? We were 7-6 and received 0 votes for Top 25. Fresno State finished ranked #27 in AP rankings and received 57 votes. Northern Illinois finished #28 and had 22 Top 25 votes. I'd trade places with them in a heartbeat.

Regarding would those 4 who finished in the Top 25 trade places with them? I'm sure they wouldn't but comparing a 2-loss team to a 3-loss team is a whole different planet than comparing 2/3 loss teams to a 7 loss team.

I think you must have missed the point if you thought I was comparing any of those teams to GT. There's a reason I didn't include GT in that list. My point was that at some point you have to take into account factors other than Ws and Ls.

Not a chance I would trade for either of those schedules for a shot at finishing with a better record. People already complain about us playing two non-AQ teams and you tell me you would want to play only two AQ teams per year? Neither of those teams finish ranked if they had to play our schedule. According to Sagarin, GT #37 SOS, Northern Illinois #59 and Fresno State #54. You seriously think GT wouldn't finish ranked with their schedules?

gtdrew

Banned
Nope dont think so....I will take Bama,LSU ,Auburn and even georgie over what we have.I give FSU credit they did well but hey Auburn not the best test they could have had in the big one.Where has FSU been ? Where has Clemson been on national scale.........just my take on it my friend but the four programs especially LSU and Bama are always playing for something big.Not even counting on a return from Fla or the upstart Mizzou or AM which makes the SEC stronger.Gosh our butt whipping by young Ole Miss team should have gotten our atttention.I see no let up in SEC dominance but of course I also said that Elvis and the Beatles were one trick ponies also.
Well, surprise surprise, you're wrong again. FSU took Allbarn's best shot and were better. Clempsumb beat georgie. The SEC won't continue to be dominant. Alabama might be, but that's why only the dumbest of the dumb root for an entire conference.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Well, surprise surprise, you're wrong again. FSU took Allbarn's best shot and were better. Clempsumb beat georgie. The SEC won't continue to be dominant. Alabama might be, but that's why only the dumbest of the dumb root for an entire conference.
where you been the last ten yrs.....name the nc rings ACC has on its fingers...or should I say finger.hell clemons cant beat Carolina and ga was not ga of old and do you think yr in and out Nicky cant handle a ACC champ.wake up reality packs a mean wallop. Time to get real.Remember Ole Miss whipping our butter or lets everybody line up and........play LSU.Aubie came within s minister of whipping Seminoles and we all should remember the two miracles that gave them their shot......nope even with a down Gatorade bunch or a bad Tenn the SEC is still dominant. As Casey Stengal said " you can look it up".One ring does not brake SEC dominance. NOsurprise just facts

over50yearfan

Georgia Tech Fan
Also, those SEC teams started the season higher ranked. It is easier to get to the top when you are 85 percent of the way. Who did Alabama play in the bowl game.

gtdrew

Banned
where you been the last ten yrs.....name the nc rings ACC has on its fingers...or should I say finger.hell clemons cant beat Carolina and ga was not ga of old and do you think yr in and out Nicky cant handle a ACC champ.wake up reality packs a mean wallop. Time to get real.Remember Ole Miss whipping our butter or lets everybody line up and........play LSU.Aubie came within s minister of whipping Seminoles and we all should remember the two miracles that gave them their shot......nope even with a down Gatorade bunch or a bad Tenn the SEC is still dominant. As Casey Stengal said " you can look it up".One ring does not brake SEC dominance. NOsurprise just facts
I can't ever understand what you're saying. I get what you're saying about history, but that's all in the past. And Ole Miss didn't kick our butters, or whatever the hell. We lost by one score and had a chance to win that game. Clemson beat Uga at full strength, save for THC....I mean, JHC. You say things like SEC dominance because it's what the talking heads tell you. We'll be just fine...